Why become a member? ×

Ported v sealed

Kevin Dean

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

@Ashdown Engineering Thank you for taking the time to reply.

As you may have guessed I don't agree with everything that you've said, but right now I'm off to play a gig and then have a load of other stuff to do over the weekend. I'll be replying in full to your post next week as soon as I have the time to do it properly.

As everything said was fact we look forward to it. Hope the gig goes well. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 23/03/2018 at 10:58, Ashdown Engineering said:

'Money probably.' - Nope, I think it's fairly safe to say money isn't a huge concern for Nate or any member of the Foo Fighters these days... Unlike many brands today we don't give any free gear to any Artists and Nate pays for his Ashdown gear the same as any other artist. Pic of their payment for Nates last rig attached for you. As you'll see that's money coming in not out...

'In the studio the bass will be DI'd and tracked via some esoteric vintage valve pre-amp' Nope again. Usually it's a mix of Mic and DI from his ABM 900 Head, an old B-15 combo thrown in once in awhile and his BTA 400 as well. It's been this way for the past 15 years.

'The choice of amp and cabs makes zero contribution to the sound either recorded or live' - Really?!?  Wow that's quite a statement, if that's the case then I'm not sure what we're all doing here to be honest....

As for testing gear vs ours... The Foo's do this every touring cycle, as you can imagine being in one of the biggest bands in the world Nate is constantly getting gear offered to him, they usually get all the gear together from a multitude of brands for a week of testing during their pre production, after this Nate will pick what he wants to use for that tour. Always a nervous few days from our point of view to be honest but touch wood we have always come out on top. Not for reasons of money or support or promotional purposes but because that's what Nate chooses...

Foos payment.png

Nate rig.png

Blimey @Ashdown Engineering !!!

You actually showed an invoice? 

How many players have played big gigs let alone made live albums/ dvd’s or released anything on major labels? 😏

Top marks for full disclosure though 💪🏻

What matey failed to realise it that most effects run in-line thru an amp... Even if thru an fx loop then that still has to be present in the D.I. or no fx FOH or in wedges?!

Bedroom playerz.. bless ‘em 🤭

4 hours ago, VAMPYRE 5 said:

Blimey @Ashdown Engineering !!!

You actually showed an invoice? 

How many players have played big gigs let alone made live albums/ dvd’s or released anything on major labels? 😏

Top marks for full disclosure though 💪🏻

What matey failed to realise it that most effects run in-line thru an amp... Even if thru an fx loop then that still has to be present in the D.I. or no fx FOH or in wedges?!

Bedroom playerz.. bless ‘em 🤭

It's actually a payment advice note from the band .

2 hours ago, Kevin Dean said:

It's actually a payment advice note from the band .

A company showing an invoice or any financial document to a fan / joe public isn’t necessary so must’ve felt REALLY under fire?! 

Saw the credit section and did wonder?

Ashdown paying Foo’s? 

???

😂😂

@Kevin Dean?

Edited by VAMPYRE 5

5 minutes ago, VAMPYRE 5 said:

??? 

Saw the credit section and did wonder?

Ashdown paying Foo’s? 

???

I don't understand the confusion ? It's a standard  advice note from the Foos bank  after a BACS payment .I get them all the time .(not from the Foos lol )

Ashdown made a claim and proceeded to provide proof of that claim. Such transparency has to be applauded. It is a fact that many high profile musicians (or at least their managers) expect to get their gear free in return for being seen with it. None of the companies ever mention that, do they?

• Like 2

ive just bought a 6x10 sealed cab.

its an amazing sound. really rich and full with no excess on the low end or high end - just smooth power.

best cab ive ever used by a mile. having heard it i cant think why some cabs are ported (like every other one ive used).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, la bam said:

ive just bought a 6x10 sealed cab.

its an amazing sound. really rich and full with no excess on the low end or high end - just smooth power.

best cab ive ever used by a mile. having heard it i cant think why some cabs are ported (like every other one ive used).

I think the port to makes up for the lack of speakers pushing air , I borrowed a 6 x 10 the other day &  a wheel got jammed on the gravel pub car park ..I wish it had bigger wheels .

I think the compression on the low notes of a sealed cabinet is what makes the ABM 610 sound like a SVT cabinet.My ported ABM 410H cabinets are some bit "looser" . I have some old towels ready for duty (thanks Lozz ! ). Why not petition Ashdown to make a sealed 410,210, etc. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grenadilla said:

I think the compression on the low notes of a sealed cabinet is what makes the ABM 610 sound like a SVT cabinet.My ported ABM 410H cabinets are some bit "looser" . I have some old towels ready for duty (thanks Lozz ! ). Why not petition Ashdown to make a sealed 410,210, etc. ?

Trace Elliot use to have ports that you put a plug into .I find compression has a desired effect .

Contrary to popular belief sealed cabs do not have higher 'compression' than ported. The reverse is the case. Reducing port area doesn't increase compression, it only lowers the tuning frequency of the cab. There is no characteristic sealed sound, there is no characteristic ported sound. In blind listening tests with cabs EQ'd for the same response one cannot tell if a cab is sealed or ported. Side by side with the same amp and settings they won't sound the same, but that's only because they have not been EQ'd for the same response.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/03/2018 at 19:37, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

The one thing about sealed that ported can't duplicate is the low frequency compression that results when drivers in a sealed cab reach xmax, which may or may not be desirable based on personal preference.

Unless you're pushing the cabs to their limits?

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 03:23, Lozz196 said:

I think you`re on to something there Bill. I`d always loved the punchiness of the ABM610 & 810 when I used them, wondered why the 410 didn`t have the same sound, but last week was told that both the 610 & 810 are sealed - and the blurb on the site seems to indicate that the same speakers are used in all of the cabs.

15 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Contrary to popular belief sealed cabs do not have higher 'compression' than ported. The reverse is the case. Reducing port area doesn't increase compression, it only lowers the tuning frequency of the cab. There is no characteristic sealed sound, there is no characteristic ported sound. In blind listening tests with cabs EQ'd for the same response one cannot tell if a cab is sealed or ported. Side by side with the same amp and settings they won't sound the same, but that's only because they have not been EQ'd for the same response.

What I meant is that some cabinets/bass players get such a muddy sound , especially at the rear corners of the room . Why ?

2 hours ago, grenadilla said:

What I meant is that some cabinets/bass players get such a muddy sound , especially at the rear corners of the room . Why ?

You answered your own question. http://www.linkwitzlab.com/rooms.htm

Sealed can seem better in room corners because they start off with less low frequency output. Ported can sound exactly the same with appropriate EQ compensation for the effect of the room.

Unless you're pushing the cabs to their limits?

There's more than one type of compression. There's physical pressure on the cone from the air mass in the cab. Ported has higher air pressure sourced compression, caused by the Helmholtz effect of the port. That reduces the movement of the cone near the tuning frequency. It also reduces the sound output from the cone near the tuning frequency, but that's recouped by the sound output from the port. That's seen on SPL charts that show independently the cone and port outputs.

Another type of compression is the result of the driver reaching xmax in the lows, but not in the higher frequencies. Once xmax is reached in the lows additional power does not give additional low output, but it does give more mids and highs. This compresses the dynamic range of the lows, but not the mids and highs. That's why tone can change quite a bit depending how loud you're playing. Sealed cabs are more subject to this, since they reach xmax at lower levels than ported.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, grenadilla said:

I was at Ashdown HQ today and found out that the ABM 810 is four 210s, as there is a shelf between each horizontal row of speakers, probably/possibly why it sounds much "tighter". Must admit that`s a good idea, Ashdown seem pretty receptive to suggestions on their ear, may well do that.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Bit of a zombie resurrection to this thread but...

I understand that the sealed cab has less bass response but does a sealed cab actually protect the drivers from over excursion?

Seems that a port offers more bass response in the audible range at the cost of the risk of unloading it and exposing to over excursion at very low frequencies. If so, a sealed cab looks to be a simpler, safer design that also removes the need for a hpf at the cost of  the roll off of bass that starts *around* 100hz.  

Have I got that right? Just hoping to check my understanding. 

Thanks, Doug 

Edited by funkydoug
Typos

Sealed cabs have a higher risk of driver damage. For equal output they don't have less excursion, they have more. For equal output they don't draw less power, they draw more. Ported cabs unload well below 100Hz, at least an octave lower on average. If you go low enough sealed has the advantage with respect to both excursion and power for equal output, but that tends to be below 35Hz, where it's of no consequence. High pass filters need not have a higher than 35-40Hz knee frequency for that reason, and their main purpose isn't to reduce low frequency note content, it's to reduce low frequency thump noise.