Why become a member? ×

Bridge Over Jamiroquai

stewblack

Never had any time for this band. I always thought they produced a washed out, bland, passionless insult to the great funk and disco bands which preceded them. Strange things happen to one as one grows older, however, and above all when one achieves sobriety. One of the bands I've recently joined performs a tune called Love Foolosophy. What a feckin' ridiculous title, I thought to myself, I wonder what the band is called. You can, dear reader, only begin to imagine my despair on discovering who was responsible for the original.

Then I started trying to learn the bassline. I've not only discovered I'm playing without gritted teeth, finding the music rather pleasant, but am actually in awe of the bass part on this track. It's extremely challenging for me to learn, not because it contains anything physically difficult to play but because the ways in which it is phrased and structured are quite alien to the way I usually play. What a marvellous opportunity I've been handed to stretch and enhance my technique and understanding of the bass. And what an endorsement of keeping an open mind. 

Whatever next? Olives? The Smiths?

1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

1000 Brownie points for your thread title......................... ^_^

Nick Fyffe was the bass player.  Great phrasing, this should be on every developing bass players 'to learn' list.

Aithangyoo

Awful, horrid, plastic, soul-less, meaningless pop/pap funk!

I used to have to play that song every weekend for 3 years in a band I was in once and it was absolute low point of the evening every time...

I've nothing against the backing musicians involved like Nick Fyffe - who are very talented and far more successful than me - it's just something about JK that makes my musical blood run cold.

'Poundland Stevie Wonder' really make me chuckle.. 😁

4 minutes ago, silverfoxnik said:

I used to have to play that song every weekend for 3 years in a band I was in once and it was absolute low point of the evening every time...

I've nothing against the backing musicians involved like Nick Fyffe - who are very talented and far more successful than me - it's just something about JK that makes my musical blood run cold.

You see I know nothing of this JK of whom you speak. When I first heard them I just didn't like the noise so I never paid them no nevermind. The bands I'm in now play songs by bands I previously detested but what I find is the bassline is the only thing that matters to me. If it's a cool line I'm on it. Obviously if it's a great tune and a cool line I'm in heaven. The only downers in the set are a couple of turgid rock throwaways with plodding bass parts. YAWN!

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Plus one for The Smiths basslines.

Perhaps, but sadly a complete non-starter for me; since to learn said basslines would involve also having to endure Morrissey's voice.

In short; a step way too far.O.o

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, stewblack said:

I wonder what the band is called. You can, dear reader, only begin to imagine my despair on discovering who was responsible for the original.

I did the same journey. Always hated them but now love the bass lines and by a side product, like the tracks too.

12 hours ago, silverfoxnik said:

Ha ha, I remember posting once that I found Zender's playing inspirational and receiving a similar response from you Nik! Consistency is a virtue! Horses for courses mate, there's something about the way he phrases that's quite magical, as is suggested by the OP, it ain't the notes, it's playing them right that's the problem. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, stewblack said:

You see I know nothing of this JK of whom you speak. When I first heard them I just didn't like the noise so I never paid them no nevermind. The bands I'm in now play songs by bands I previously detested but what I find is the bassline is the only thing that matters to me. If it's a cool line I'm on it. Obviously if it's a great tune and a cool line I'm in heaven. The only downers in the set are a couple of turgid rock throwaways with plodding bass parts. YAWN!

play originals, then if the basslines suck....well, you know what THAT means :)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Krysbass said:

Perhaps, but sadly a complete non-starter for me; since to learn said basslines would involve also having to endure Morrissey's voice.

In short; a step way too far.O.o

I agree.

I've always felt that the Smiths were a cracking band that were limited somewhat by their lead singer.

Don't get me wrong, The Smiths were a great outfit as a whole commercially.  It's just that Morrissey became so big that the band were considered to be more of an accessory than the means to support the often monotonous delivery of poetry set to music by the mononymously named one.

I got over myself one day and decided to learn Heaven knows I'm Miserable Now because it was in a book of TABs.  For a hobby bassist like myself it is a good one to loosen the fretting fingers.  It took me a long time to really feel it and I still don't feel I can nail it every time but the experience was good.  It's the only song I've learned of The Smiths but I now listen to the basslines on their songs as a distraction from the big M's vox.

I like the music more than the vocals but the music on its own wouldn't work either.  It's a bit like gin and tonic.  I'd drink gin neat but I don't like tonic on its own.

Back on topic;

I loved Return of the Space Cowboy when it came out first.  With hindsight, it was the music video that got my attention.  I loved the collection of speakers that were used as props and so watched it every opportunity I got.  The tune became familiar and quite acceptable for easy listening.

The Jamiroquai phenomenon owes a LOT to music video.

As with most songs I listen primarily to the Basslines - on this count Jamiroquai hit the bulls eye time after time. I think all those who have played Bass in the band have brought something special to the music. 

I know that some are dismissive of JK but he does write some wicked lyrics...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Beedster said:

Ha ha, I remember posting once that I found Zender's playing inspirational and receiving a similar response from you Nik! Consistency is a virtue! Horses for courses mate, there's something about the way he phrases that's quite magical, as is suggested by the OP, it ain't the notes, it's playing them right that's the problem. 

I remember that, Chris! Just wish my bass playing was as consistent as my online whinging... 😁

I know the music and musicians in his band do a great job but I just don't like JK's voice, songs or hat-ittude!