Why become a member? ×

Using laptops live

radiophonic

I've just joined a startup band doing shoegaze type material. The guitarist is planning on playing without any backline and is using amp/cab simulators on a laptop. Actually, with all the sub-bass I'm using, I may also ditch my cab and just DI.  Already in the practice room we've had the accidental failure to turn the laptop on at the wall and the power dying unexpectedly when the battery runs out, but even without this, I've got some concerns about the power cable or USB cables becoming disengaged mid-performance. Flightcasing will protect the hardware, but how do people get around the fragile connections when playing live? is there some way of tethering the cables so nothing gets yanked at the computer end? Or is this just a case of 'suck it up' and be careful. This must be something that function bands have to deal with routinely. What's the solution here?

Do what I am currently doing and built everything into a flight case, with a removable top.

At the gig I simply open the case and switch on the laptop. All external connections are made via gig-worthy plugs like XLRs and all the fragile computer connectors are hidden away inside the case. The laptop is held in place with hard flight case foam and all the connections going to it are cable tied into place so that they can't move.

I'll take some photos of my set up when it's finished and showing how it's constructed if you want.

Is there any effect he can get on his laptop that can't be emulated using a multifx pedal?  I can understand a keys player using a macbok with mainstage, but a guitarist using a laptop on stage seems like a load of unneccessary hassle & risk to me, unless there was a compelling reason to do so.

If my bandmate insisted on this, I'd not get involved in working out what cables etc he'd need & leave him up to it.

I'm very interested as I tried this for the first time on Saturday ( as a drummer) and the USB cable worked it's way out of the back of the audio interface. I couldn't permanently flight-case my laptop as I use it for work. I was thinking about using a tablet instead

Just now, ambient said:

I've been using one for my solo stuff for a couple of years. All my signal processing is done by it. I've never had a problem with connections coming loose. Is he using Mainstage or Ableton? They're designed for live usage.

Native Instruments Guitar Rig - amp / cab sims and some of his effects chain, although he has the inevitable FX500 for the Soft Focus reverb.  The app isn't the issue, it more about the physical connections.

Remember to set up a dedicated user on the laptop and have all internet, notifications, alarms and updates switched off. 

Otherwise prepare for embarrassing hour long waits whilst it updates and unmistakeable windows themes tunes coming in at will.

Even a usb going on and off will cause the alarms. 

And set so your screen saver doesnt kick in and lock your laptop mid playing.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

Native Instruments Guitar Rig - amp / cab sims and some of his effects chain, although he has the inevitable FX500 for the Soft Focus reverb.  The app isn't the issue, it more about the physical connections.

I use those velcro cable tie things to attach the USB cable to the magnetic power plug thing. Both then get attached to whatever it's stood on. I use angled plug USB cables too, they don't protrude so far.

31 minutes ago, la bam said:

Remember to set up a dedicated user on the laptop and have all internet, notifications, alarms and updates switched off. 

Otherwise prepare for embarrassing hour long waits whilst it updates and unmistakeable windows themes tunes coming in at will.

Even a usb going on and off will cause the alarms. 

And set so your screen saver doesnt kick in and lock your laptop mid playing.

I don't think anyone serious uses Windows for live music for exactly those reasons. ;-)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, radiophonic said:

Exactly. It's the physical connections that are the problem. IMO they are just about fine for gentle use in an office environment, but completely unsuitable for use in a live gigging situation.

I'm running windows 10 offline, no notifications, no updates, just playing tracks off the media player. I've made tracks with a click on one side and all sorts of stuff on the other which I can send to the sound guy. It seemed to work OK except for the USB cable coming out

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I don't think anyone serious uses Windows for live music for exactly those reasons. ;-)

Of all things I have a Windows Vista laptop to run any backing tracks, the laptop was affectionately known as "Old Bluey" when it was a serviceable laptop as all it ever did was blue screen, since I have removed all none vital programs including the modem so it can't ever connect to the net it has been as good as gold, I also believe there is a setting within the sound programs of Vista that allow you to use multiple sound outputs that was removed in XP and later Windows versions but don't quote me on that one

Wouldn't he be better using a multi-FX / modeller I stead of a laptop? He could then actually switch effects in real time, and not have to worry about its ruggedness, as they're designed to be used on stage. Something like the HD500x, Helix, Axe FX, Kemper etc. All more rugged than a laptop.

• Thanks 1

On 19/03/2018 at 13:27, ambient said:

I've never had a problem with connections coming loose. 

Same- I guess it might be true that a USB cable isn't as sturdy as a 35ml jack, but I've never had any problems using a laptop on stage. My Mac just lives on a laptop stand: I cable tie the USB/PSU cables to that too.

On 19/03/2018 at 19:35, Skybone said:

Wouldn't he be better using a multi-FX / modeller I stead of a laptop? He could then actually switch effects in real time, and not have to worry about its ruggedness, as they're designed to be used on stage. Something like the HD500x, Helix, Axe FX, Kemper etc. All more rugged than a laptop.

You can get a MIDI controller on the cheap, which can potentially give much more real-time functionality than a pedal. Also, MainStage is £30!

IMO while a 3.5mm mini jack might be better than the average computer connector, it is still pretty flimsy to be of much use in a serious gigging environment. I make all my removable connections with XLRs as far as possible, and hide all the delicate mini and computer connectors away inside racks where they can't be got at.