Why become a member? ×

Bars/ Pubs And The Inebriated Out Of Control Punters

Bluewine

I'd say most gigs we play are to drunken (by various degrees) punters. Luckily most of them are following us. ;) I can't speak for the culture in the States, but the culture in the UK leans towards "lets go see a band and get completely legless at the same time". Sadly this even seems to apply to 'big' bands.

Funniest gig moments featuring drunken punters (all in a previous band) include a completely naked man walking into the pub and sitting down at a table in front of us with everything hanging out - nobody in the pub batted an eyelid and nobody asked him why he was naked or tried to make him leave, so he sat there for the rest of our set (evidently a normal occurrence at the pub in question) - and my personal favourite, 2 old men in their 80s having a fight. Or rather, one old man repeatedly attempting to hit the other whilst the other kept him at arm's length with one hand, just out of striking range, and carried on drinking with the other hand. xD

A few years back we were playing without our male singer and my wife was covering all the vocals. We were dragging out a few easy numbers to fill out the set, and were playing ‘I Just Wanna Make Love To You.’ Cue drunk bloke taking to the empty dance floor (disaster of a beer festival) and trying to do ‘sexy’ dancing. His girlfriend looked horrified and clearly wanted the ground to swallow her up. This didn’t put him off mind, as dropped his trousers to moon us all, then hopped to his missus’ table and slapped her right in the face with his ****. My wife announced at the end ‘Don’t worry folks, the guitarist is a GP and counselling is available’ as the girlfriend stormed out.

I don't think it's out of control patrons; it's poorly managed venues. Pubs have drunk people in them - it kind of goes without saying. There are, however, pubs where I can almost guarantee no bother and others were I can pretty much guarantee there will be. The difference is the quality of the management. Good staff will not put up with idiots. 

I've seen some members of bands I've been in seriously verbally abused (and visually on one occasion - don't ask) and the staff did nothing. It's not on. 

Mind you a good Blues Brothers style bar fight is always entertaining :-D

• Like 1