Why become a member? ×

3 Shapes To Unlock The Entire Neck

HughRichardson

Hey guys!

I know a lot of bass players have trouble learning the neck of their bass but I've just uploaded a great lesson on how you can memorise the bass neck with only three scale shapes.

The way I discovered this is actually quite a funny story.

Twelve years ago, when I was a student at music school, I was really struggling to learn the neck of my bass. What made things worse is that I took a class called "fretboard fluency" which taught all the scales, arpeggios and chords I needed to know and all the different positions I needed to know them in.

However, I had a big problem. I couldn't remember any of them.

I was at home practising one day about a week before my exam and as ever, I was struggling. Frustrated, I decided to take a break. So I closed the blue folder I kept my class notes in, left my room, walked down the hallway into the living room and sat at the table to play Tetris on my iPhone. 

I wasn't a particularly great Tetris player. In fact, I had noticed long ago that I always tried to fit the shapes together in a handful of ways. Perhaps only five or six. But as this thought ran through my head I started to wonder.

How many scale shapes do I really need to know to pass this class?

This was enough to make me put the phone down, walk back down the hallway into my room, pull out my blue folder and study these scale shapes in a new light.

What I found was that I didn't need to know fifty different scale shapes. I didn't need to know 20, or 15, or 10. I didn't even need to know 5. 

I needed to know a grand total of 3 scale shapes to know where all the notes of every scale were in any key all over the neck.

Understanding how these three shapes fit together was a game changer for me and I'm sure it will be for you.

I've also included a free PDF in the video description for you which has all the scale diagrams that I use in the lesson.

No email sign up, no catch and nothing to sell.

I just want you to get the PDF and unlock your bass neck!

Enjoy the lesson and make sure you subscribe and leave me a comment!

Cheers,

Hugh

Edited by HughRichardson