Why become a member? ×

Favourite Movie Music

ianrendall

14 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

It's John Carpenter's own soundtracks for me, Halloween,Assault on Precinct 13, The Thing, Escape from New York. They fit the film's mood perfectly.

Love Carpenter's films and scores. I saw him perform some a couple of years ago. It was fantastic!

1 hour ago, christhammer666 said:

Anything be Hans Zimmer especially Inception

I love the score to Interstellar.

I'm also a massive fan of Clint Mansell's film work (also a HUGE Pop Will Eat Itself fan). Pi, Requiem For a Dream, The Fountain, Moon... all amazing...

14 hours ago, Mudpup said:

I liked Gladiator by Hans Zimmer and particularly the tracks with Lisa Gerard on. Blackhawk Down was also in the same vein.

Some great cues on 'Black Hawk Down'. Although my favourite piece of music from that score (Gortoz A Ran) was not composed by Zimmer and his team, but the amazing Lisa Gerrard & Denez Prigent.

Just perfect for the film.

Another one of my emotional film score likes is written by Dave Grusin. His composition for the main theme from 'On Golden Pond' is just beautiful.

Some of my favourites bagsied already: especially the work of John Carpenter, Vangelis, Morricone, Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Mike Oldfield and other greats.

One of my recent favourites is Moon, scored by Clint Mansell (great film too). Here's the main theme - beautifully simple, perfectly atmospheric and memorable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lAfMT5FIZE

On 19/03/2018 at 11:46, bartelby said:

I'm also a massive fan of Clint Mansell's film work (also a HUGE Pop Will Eat Itself fan). Pi, Requiem For a Dream, The Fountain, Moon... all amazing...

I must check Clint's film scores, I loved PWEI back in the day, I think the comedy element overshadowed the arrangements and production sometimes (but they were kind of the Black Country Beastie Boys). XY&Z should've been a bigger hit, love that tune.

The incidental music from Withnail and I I always enjoy. I think David Dundas scored it. I like a bit of Lalo Schiffrin (is that how you spell it?) too!

Bubba Ho-Tep is not only an amazing film, but also has a superb (if limited) soundtrack. Couple of variations on a main theme and a score, but all done by one guy on a budget in a short time apparently. The main theme really is great imo. 

If you like films that involve a geritaric Elvis and black JFK battling a mummy, it might be your cup of tea. 

• Like 1

Agree with the Blues Brothers (took over a page before somebody suggested it) and American Graffiti (which I've seen well over 100x times ).

Thanks to Bilbo for recommending the LOTR soundtrack - love listening to this when I'm doing stuff round the flat.

On 19/03/2018 at 11:46, bartelby said:

Moon has a beautiful soundtrack, and is a great film 

1 hour ago, ianrendall said:

If I may delve into perhaps video game music, which I will because I’m the OP and it’s my god given right, the Oblivion soundtrack is quite amazing. 

Yes, Jeremy Soule is pretty amazing.

I went to a concert in Germany about 10 years ago. The Orchestra played an entire performance of some of his game scores (including the Harry Potter series). 

A really enjoyable evening.

Edited by lowdown

Zabriskie Point has several Pink Floyd numbers unavailable elsewhere, including a "come in number 51, your time is up" a more violent version of "careful with that axe, Eugene" set particularly effectively against multiple angles of a large remote house being exploded as the climax of a late 60s arthouse film.  Very effective 

All Michael Nyman work for Peter Greenaway films and all his other work. Saw him twice live : terrific. Without forgetting The Piano, a film by Jane Campion. Love its Purcell way of composing.

Edited by Hellzero
Some soundtracks added.

On 19/03/2018 at 10:08, uk_lefty said:

I am yet to suggest a new song to my band that didn't feature on an 80's classic film. I really want to cover Danger Zone off Top Gun, it just needs some logical structure. 

I have often wanted to do a covers gig playing tracks off all the Vietnam war films, then rip up that set list and do another gig of tracks off all the Tom Cruise 80's films.