Why become a member? ×

Favourite Movie Music

ianrendall

Doesn’t have to be bass based. Here are a few of my faves. 

I can’t put my finger on why, but this is my favourite piece of music from a movie ever. Hans Zimmer.

Alan Silvestri. Splendid and 80s. 

Superb bass in this one. Made me get a 5 string (again). 

This was huge for me when I discovered it in the late 90s. Sort out of ‘oh dear, I might like some jazz.’ The whole thing is great but the opening track is ridiculously 70s super session player, beautifully played. If anyone knows who the bass player was I’d be delighted because I have looked it up many times. And the iconic sax playing of Tom Scott certainly helps. 

3 minutes ago, scalpy said:

This was huge for me when I discovered it in the late 90s. Sort out of ‘oh dear, I might like some jazz.’ The whole thing is great but the opening track is ridiculously 70s super session player, beautifully played. If anyone knows who the bass player was I’d be delighted because I have looked it up many times. And the iconic sax playing of Tom Scott certainly helps. 

How did I miss this one out?

My favourite film. The dirty romanticism of 70s New York. 

• Like 1

The soundtrack to The Lost Boys was pretty much the soundtrack to my early teens. Still love it now. Also love Busy Malone and was lucky enough to do be in the house band for a production of it in theatre a couple of years ago. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

The soundtrack to The Lost Boys was pretty much the soundtrack to my early teens. Still love it now. Also love Busy Malone and was lucky enough to do be in the house band for a production of it in theatre a couple of years ago. 

79A6E9FD-9DE2-41F0-853E-6B62B35BEE56.gif

Edited by ianrendall

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and many Tarantino films like Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill spring to mind. They are more like song compilations though, for some that are almost entirely composed of original music I can think of Blade Runner and Tron Legacy.

11 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

It's John Carpenter's own soundtracks for me, Halloween,Assault on Precinct 13, The Thing, Escape from New York. They fit the film's mood perfectly.

beat me to the punch there. Plus those for Bladerunner and the recent sequel, American Beauty, + 1 for Paris Texas,  Southern Comfort, Streets of Fire.

Edited by Barking Spiders

The Back to the Future soundtrack was a big thing for me as a teenager, pretty much got me addicted to music. In the main it was the two Huey Lewis tracks that turned music into my everyday passion. But the Alan Silvestri theme was good and I quite like the Lindsay Buckingham & Eric Clapton tracks that are on there.

The soundtrack though that I can listen to from start to finish over and over is the original Star Wars, favourite piece from that is, The Battle of Yavin, find it exciting and moving even without the pictures, though I suppose I can pretty much see them in my head now.

I am yet to suggest a new song to my band that didn't feature on an 80's classic film. I really want to cover Danger Zone off Top Gun, it just needs some logical structure. 

I have often wanted to do a covers gig playing tracks off all the Vietnam war films, then rip up that set list and do another gig of tracks off all the Tom Cruise 80's films.

Sicario, music written by the late Jóhann Jóhannsson. Very organic and powerful with that Purcell, Grieg and of course Varèse approach. This guy was a genius who passed away too soon at 48 years old.

Edited by Hellzero
Who passed away, ... bloody auto corrector.
  • Like 2