Why become a member? ×

I Hate Tobacco Sunburst

Shambo

Everyone has their own preferences, and also their own dislikes  (e.g. I personally have never been a fan of Lake Placid Blue finishes). However, I think tobacco sunburst is one of the all time greatest finishes.

So much so, that I'm currently making this at home (believe it or not, I sprayed the nitrocellulose lacquer finish out of my kitchen window).

20180211_084235.jpg

With you on Fiesta Red Japhet. Guitars can be hot and firey but basses shouldn’t be trying to play catch up, unless you’re in a Shadows tribute - then it’s all about matching gear, matching suits and synchronised headstock waggling.

Bass is an earthy, primitive instrument and tobacco burst suits that, like an old pub table all polish and beer glass rings.

My pet peeve is three tone bursts where the red hasn’t been sprayed under the pick guard. Looks horrible when the guard is removed, ooh hold on that’s another kettle of fish...

• Like 1

I decided to face my fears head on.

Like when I watch Heather Smalls on the Camino De Santiago, I've been singing 'You've got to search for the hero inside yourself', in a deep husky voice, as I photoshopped a mock up of the automotive incubus that haunts my sweaty nights. I'm hoping this will help me better come to terms with my irrational phobia.

3TS Metro.jpg

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Shambo said:

I decided to face my fears head on.

Like when I watch Heather Smalls on the Camino De Santiago, I've been singing 'You've got to search for the hero inside yourself', in a deep husky voice, as I photoshopped a mock up of the automotive incubus that haunts my sweaty nights. I'm hoping this will help me better come to terms with my irrational phobia.

3TS Metro.jpg

I think you need more help than Basschat can provide.  Heeheehee, if that image was haunting my thoughts I'd apply for a full lobotomy.  IT'S FUGLY

(I can see it appealing to Jazzers though)

Where does Heather leave her smalls for people to look at when she's not in Spain?

• 4 weeks later...

I was reminded of this thread on Saturday at Sheffield Blues Festival, when 6 of the 8 basses I saw were tobacco sunburst Fender Ps with tortie scratchplates. All mediocre heavy blues-rock bands, I could no more hear any difference among their sounds than see any difference among their basses.

Does it have something to do with the width of the dark edge as well as the subtlety of the shading? Or the flatness of the central colour? Looking at the pics above and from memory, if the center looks flat and the edges are wide it's very different from if it's natural wood grain and narrow. I'd have said I don't like bursts, based on the Fender cliché, but thinking about it, my first and forever true love is. She's stunningly thin and light, but looks much thicker / deeper (and heavier) than she is. And under lights the red glows, surrounded by the black.

(Note to self: I should read my own .sig :-)

GMR_BF5.jpg