Why become a member? ×

I Hate Tobacco Sunburst

Shambo

I dislike all bursts but especially tobacco sunburst  and above all Les Paul's with SB finishes.. I have an abiding distaste for the Les Paul in SB  though that's probably due to an association with bands I cant abide such as Led Zep and Guns n Roses. 

Edited by Barking Spiders

9 minutes ago, Mastodon2 said:

I'm not a fan of burst finishes in general, particularly when applied to nice woods where they black the edges of the top right out, waste of a good piece of timber I think. 

My redburst does that, but is not varnished, so you can still see (and feel) the grain of the wood, its a heavy grain. Its the only surface like that, which makes me wonder why I hadn't thought of that before!

edit: I would point out that although all my Ibanez SRs aren't varnished either, they don't have a deep grain that you can actually feel.

Edited by Woodinblack

30 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I dislike all bursts but especially tobacco sunburst  and above all Les Paul's with SB finishes.. I have an abiding distaste for the Les Paul in SB  though that's probably due to an association with bands I cant abide such as Led Zep and Guns n Roses. 

I love a 'burst Les Paul, faded so the colour is more even.

Also love a two tone Strat, Buddy Holly style. 

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Not a fan of brown bursts. I doubt it would stop me from getting something I really liked though, but as someone else said, it reminds me of the cheap copies (although not as much as varnished light wood).

And now I am sitting upstairs I notice that the wall behind me has my brown burst guitars (my wife hates brown sunbursts so they live upstairs). Excuse being that the SRF705 only comes in that colour, and the G&L L2500 I could only get easily in that or varnished light wood!

I have only one non-sunburst bass, and that is a white Precision which sounds so good I doubt that I'd ever part with it. My remaining 7 basses are all 'burst. I'll probably never buy another non-burst bass, nor one with a maple fingerboard, but that's a different story!

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Not a fan of brown bursts. I doubt it would stop me from getting something I really liked though, but as someone else said, it reminds me of the cheap copies (although not as much as varnished light wood).

I do have a red burst though, and I love that

Had several brown bursts at the weekend - poorly tummy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

My redburst does that, but is not varnished, so you can still see (and feel) the grain of the wood, its a heavy grain. Its the only surface like that, which makes me wonder why I hadn't thought of that before!

edit: I would point out that although all my Ibanez SRs aren't varnished either, they don't have a deep grain that you can actually feel.

I can feel the grain on my Ibby SR605.  How deep are you talking about?  More than a couple of thou I'd guess.

Round these parts it's known as Turdburst xD

I certainly don't care for it myself, particularly when it's a slightly dark cruddy brown colour fading into a darker dark cruddy brown colour. 

However, add a tortoiseshell scratch-plate to a sunburst finish and it becomes an affront to all that is good and holy. This pretty much sums up my reaction to said abhorrent combination. 

bleeding-eyes-gif-5.gif

Edited by Osiris
  • Haha 1

My Precision Lyte is TSB with matching headstock, I hate the colour with a passion but the bass is just so good, it will probably the last Precision I part with, I do keep looking out for a pearl white of metallic red but they are starting to fetch silly money nowadays and those that do come up for sale are not in as good condition as mine

3 hours ago, CameronJ said:

I hated tobacco bursts until about a year or two ago then it all changed...

C8EB3D9A-AE89-401F-B78A-6FF2C9D26DD4.thumb.jpeg.6136d24f709b88d16758d7efd935a991.jpeg0201C4F9-8591-4BF7-AC5B-DAB6FBA066AB.jpeg.b3d5866a5eec1873887e6c7f70611244.jpeg8D014511-D1EE-4FDF-A996-11726451E0C7.thumb.jpeg.66a716161bc1148d8024edab72a3227c.jpeg

For me though, a handsome underlying wood grain is essential!

They are all closer to cherry or sienna sunburst - tobacco sunburst looks more grotty than those!

The law's been pretty clear about two tone sunbursts for the last 9 years or so. Here's a breakdown of what's legal and what isn't:

5ab00994062c1_sunburstlaw.jpg.469b39c611959b9a543b117cea6ded74.jpg

The sentencing tariffs vary from community service (for a RW board P-Lyte) to a minimum 5 years custodial (for an unbound Ric 4000). 

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

They are all closer to cherry or sienna sunburst - tobacco sunburst looks more grotty than those!

Both Sandberg and Sire call them Tobacco Sunbursts

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/13081309551158--sandberg-electra-vs4-tobacco-sunburst

https://www.thomann.de/gb/marcus_miller_p7_swamp_ash_5_ts.htm

Though to be fair the MTD Saratoga I posted is described as “honeyburst”. I just think that more and more manufacturers are in agreement that there are too many sh*te looking tobacco bursts out there so they’ve upped their game and started making them look better. That’s what I’d like to think anyway...

Not a fan of bursts of any colour. 

Having said which, I had a nice cheap tobaccoburst J-alike which I'd have kept if I could abide the neck (weird almost triangular cross-section), and I have a matched pair of fretted and fretless Peavey Foundations in TSB, and I will buy an Ibanez SRF705 some day...  And I rather like reverse bursts, preferably grey-white.

So, I conclude I am probably not even playing the right instrument. 

:wanders off looking for Bassoonchat:

• Haha 2