Why become a member? ×

DIY Ramp (of sorts)

Elfrasho

Recently just got this Fender US special Jazz, and although its lovely, I'm not really getting on with it. One of the reasons is I don't think the pickups are raised as much as i'm used to on other jazz basses i've had, therefore it just feels a bit funny to play.  So thought I'd make a wee ramp type thing out of a length of pine I had lying about! I've stuck it down with double sided sticky tape so its very much removable, but I already feel more home with it on. My thumb gravitates towards it without me consciously thinking about it, and I'm not digging in as much anymore, making the whole bass just a more enjoyable experience, and less hard work!

Can't say I've ever seen anyone with a ramp on a jazz bass, but if this is successful and I keep the bass, I'll definitely need to investigate what proper ones are out there to get!

9cm bit of pine that was 2.5cm x 1cm.  Chiseled out some holes underneath so it can sit flush with the pickup. I then sanded it down taking quite a lot of height of it, painted it. The black paint I used has made it a bit shiny but hopefully that dies down a bit once its totally dried and been used a bit.  Thought I'd just pop it on here for you all to have a laugh...err.. look!

Thanks

Fraser

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grangur said:

Hey cool. Does it work well for you?

If the pups are lower than you're used to, have you thought of raising them?

Well no. Haha, the paint I used made it feel rubbish, so I made another and I've left it au naturale! Much nicer feeling, but looks even more ridiculous than the painted one! 

17 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

Well no. Haha, the paint I used made it feel rubbish, so I made another and I've left it au naturale! Much nicer feeling, but looks even more ridiculous than the painted one! 

What about raising the pickups as Grangur suggested?

2 hours ago, dyerseve said:

What about raising the pickups as Grangur suggested?

They sound miles betterwhen they're abit lower in my opinion.  Definitely less likely to pop with a wee bit more air from the string! 

I did try, but couldn't get a balance that was working for me between comfort and sound! This might be the  trade off!