Why become a member? ×

Ernie ball strings issue

Damonjames

Hi everyone, I had to do a last minute restring to one of my basses before tonight’s gig, and I feel like I need to have a moan. 

A couple of months back I ordered some Ernie Ball cobalt flats from a US based website, and had a friend in California ship them over to me (this site had a crazy deal on), but in putting the strings on, I found this issue. 

As you can see from the pics, the G String (😂) has what appears to be rust/corrosion on the surface of the string in sections, while all the other strings are fine. This is the second set I bought, the first were fine. Seems really strange that only one string is showing signs of this, and as the strings are in plastic, I can only assume it left the factory this way??

i know it may only look small, but these are not cheap strings, and I suspect this string will go dead rather rapidly due to this

VERY frustrating 

DCEEEF1E-6575-4CB3-9FAB-5C319003448B.jpeg

FC62D5FB-5DB1-4618-A2CA-C35FFAB3AB72.jpeg

85F51C0C-DFCA-42EB-B4E1-2CEE0E0B8D5A.jpeg

F28A6B49-AAB4-4FBD-8EB4-9371EF879FF7.jpeg

I've been using Rotosound flats and had no issues.I suspect that the rust is due to poor storage environment or the string was exposed to liquid etc. 

I only use EB strings for guitar but never noticed rust issues from a new pack.

But noticed that B and high E do go rusty after a shortish usage despite my house not having damp issues. I never wipe my strings though after playing.

On 18/03/2018 at 08:45, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I would email the company with photos of the strings & packaging. I had a dead E string in a set of GHS shortscale flats, so contacted GHS & they sent a replacement string to me all the way from battle creek michigan.

I took your advice and emailed them, to which I got a very apologetic response, and a quick quiz for some more information, including an address to send a replacement to. 

Lets see what happens next!!

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update on this, my replacement strings arrived today 😄

i suspect they would have been here weeks ago, but they got sent back to EB on account of them not putting my phone number on the shipping info!!!

well done EB i’m one happy bunny 😄

• Like 1