Why become a member? ×

Removing head from a combo for separate use.

arthurhenry

Considering options for a spare amp which I could keep (well hidden) in my car, I've stumbled upon the idea of removing the head section from a cheap combo, building some casing around it and using it separately. I can't think of any issues which would arise from this. Are there any?

Edit: I'm imagining a combo with a jack which plugs in for the speaker, but one that's hard wired in would still be usable with a bit of work, I would think.

Edited by arthurhenry

I modified an Ashdown combo head to make it rack-mountable. I purchased it in a homemade wooden casing which was crap!

10 mins with an angle grinder, another 10 with a dremel de-burring the cuts. 4 holes drilled in the front.

I used the offcut pieces of the casing to add some strength across the top using the existing holes where it mounted to the combo, otherwise it flexed quite a bit.

DSC_0665.JPG

• Like 2

provided that you encase it properly i can't see any real problem except that most combos with decent amounts of power (say 100W at the minimum) are often available as head versions as well so selling the combo (if you already have one) and just buying the head version might be a better option.

If you want to hide it somewhere in the car then i'd be looking at some of the class D amps available, the Markbass F1 that i'm using would fit the bill, fairly small, not too expensive (i think i paid £250 for mine) and plenty of power, suitably protected (laptop bag and some bubblewrap) it could easily be hidden with the spare tyre under the boot carpet and no-one would ever suspect that it's there. there are plenty of excellent 250w-800w amps available that aren't that much bigger than a hardback novel. 

Matt

Edited by Matt P
spelling!

Agree there's no reason you shouldn't do this. I would try to go for a head that has a jack plug for the speaker as you say (often they have a second output anyway for extension speaker).

Needless to say, if you have to do any metalwork at all, drilling or whatever, try to protect the circuitry from metal filings and give it a thorough internal hoover afterwards otherwise you might get a nasty short circuit at an unexpected moment :-)

Tom