Why become a member? ×

Double bass an high volume

MattNags

(Back story) I play bass in a country rock and roll band at fairly high volume in pubs and clubs rarely have a house pa and the band pa isn’t sufficient to handle the bottom end so I stand alone. For the last two years I’ve used my Genz Benz shuttle 6.2 at full volume. I use a shadow rockabilly pre amp. I struggle with feed back but always sort it. To the question I’m looking for something with more head room and wondering what other people use or could suggest as a solution? 

Best wishes

Matt

In the years when I needed lots of volume, I found that the amp head was (relatively speaking) less important than an efficient cabinet configuration.

to put it in context, a shuttle 6.2 gives all the headroom you will ever need in a pub, but maybe look at cabs like Tricky audio or barefaced etc...I think I had 2 12s Greenboy at one point and a fearless 15 at another point and the sound coming out of these things would knock you off your feet. I’m sure that at one point I did use a Shuttle then moved on to something else can’t remember really. The key thing is not to look at the wattage as the only indicator of loudness.

Ultimately though, at those volumes, a double bass, with that kind of piezo, does not sound like a double bass, and I ultimately couldn’t stand it and went for small ensemble with tiny stage volumes: much happier. Hope you find the ideal sound for you!

Cheers for the input. It has been the cabs that have struggled. I suppose I thought of them as a unit. I better get a bigger car. I’m not ready to leave the volume behind. I’m not good enough to go quiet. I need to rely on high volumes stupid facial hair and a brown derby hat :) 

In my 8 year search for feedback free double bass in a high volume band I've found that a magnetic pickup, a preamp with a high pass filter & phase invert switch and f-hole mutes (in that order) are the most effective anti-feedback measures.

I use all four, along with raising my cab off the floor to at least waist height, and not having bass in the monitors, which makes me 98% feedback free. If I'm still having issues (usually with an E played on the D string for some reason) then I'll place myself/amp so my bass is side on to my amp.

• Like 1