Why become a member? ×

Receipt for second hand buy

J66Bass

Hope I can make myself  understood 😊 hello there 😊it come to my attention on some occasion when I ask for a hand written receipt with signature and proof of address,some seller don’t really want to give a straight answer on : yes that’s not a problem I will signed it ...they can either don’t say anything when reply, do you think that’s normal, personally I like to get a receipt in case for example the bass was stolen, I liked  your opinion, thanks  

i've never even given that a thought to be honest. Surely if you've bought thru a recognised selling website then you have proof you bought it. Not sure what would happen if it was a stolen item. Guess you lose unless you can get the money back from the seller in small claims court.

Dave

10 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

i've never even given that a thought to be honest. Surely if you've bought thru a recognised selling website then you have proof you bought it. Not sure what would happen if it was a stolen item. Guess you lose unless you can get the money back from the seller in small claims court.

Dave

It's a tough one. When i t happened to me, the shop I bought it from said they had purchased it in good faith and that there was nothing they could do. So I lost the Eden amp and the cash. Hey ho.

Since then I've always asked for a receipt. Nobody has refused!

34 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

It's a tough one. When i t happened to me, the shop I bought it from said they had purchased it in good faith and that there was nothing they could do. So I lost the Eden amp and the cash. Hey ho.

Since then I've always asked for a receipt. Nobody has refused!

I thought the shop would have to refund you and it's for them to get the money for whoever they bought it from? (as in, they need to record the details of any used gear they get and their owner)

I would have thought the shop would have refunded you as they were the ones that originally accepted the stolen goods and sold them on to you.

I try and keep receipts for all my new gear in event i sell i can show the original receipt.

Dave

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I would have thought the shop would have refunded you as they were the ones that originally accepted the stolen goods and sold them on to you.

I try and keep receipts for all my new gear in event i sell i can show the original receipt.

Dave

I thought this too. They flat out refused and told me to take them to court. I was about 20 and didn’t have the confidence or know how to do this, so I just took the loss and moved on. In the wider scheme of things it’s a lesson learned.

25 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I thought this too. They flat out refused and told me to take them to court. I was about 20 and didn’t have the confidence or know how to do this, so I just took the loss and moved on. In the wider scheme of things it’s a lesson learned.

I would have thought buying from a shop is a way of covering yourself from exactly this situation. 

Actually, here's the guidance on it.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/if-you-think-youve-bought-stolen-goods/

By the shop not refunding they are still guilty of "handling stolen goods".

Actually, if you paid by card or cheque, you could still get your money back even now.

Edited by Grangur

3 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

I should point out this happened about 18 years ago, so I’m sure this was all reasonable then but sadly I can’t tutn back time. The shop Was (and indeed still is) known for being disreputable, 

Ahhh....  so the only true resolution now is the old "brick through the window" routine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I should point out this happened about 18 years ago, so I’m sure this was all reasonable then but sadly I can’t tutn back time. The shop Was (and indeed still is) known for being disreputable, 

Name and shame to save others being ripped off

basic stuff really, but usually you only pay cash if you're picking it up, in which case you'll know the address, I've only ever exchanged cash for an amp once at the motorway services, driving away I realised I'd not asked for a receipt but I had bought it through ebay so I was sort of covered. I'm surprised how often I've sold stuff for cash and not been asked for a receipt (never) but, again, they were picking it up from my house.

edit, I do ask for a receipt for high value items just in case they turn round and say I've stolen it from them

Edited by PaulWarning

I'm not sure how a receipt would cover you on a cash sale if the goods turned out to be stolen. Anybody can pick a book up at Ryman's or Staples and since most for sale ad pages advise meeting buyers in a public place any address can be given. Inviting strangers to your home when selling expensive items isn't the brightest idea when you think about it.

If you're going down the receipt book road,grab one of those pens for checking bank notes. Only a couple of ÂŁ in Staples. I got one to put a seller at ease but he reckoned since I'd drove 200 mile to meet him and made sure I'd all English notes I was legit

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

I'm not sure how a receipt would cover you on a cash sale if the goods turned out to be stolen. Anybody can pick a book up at Ryman's or Staples and since most for sale ad pages advise meeting buyers in a public place any address can be given. Inviting strangers to your home when selling expensive items isn't the brightest idea when you think about it.

a receipt would help cover you for receiving stolen goods with the Police if it got that far

I need receipts for all of my equipment for my insurance. If anything happened to a bass or amp, etc, they have told me they need to see proof that I owned it. Pictures of me using the gear at various gigs are not sufficient proof for them.

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I need receipts for all of my equipment for my insurance. If anything happened to a bass or amp, etc, they have told me they need to see proof that I owned it. Pictures of me using the gear at various gigs are not sufficient proof for them.

On the other side of this, over the last 8 years, more than 45 basses have passed through my hands. If I had a receipts for each purchase and was burgled, I could claim they were all stolen. Who's going to prove some had been moved on?

The insurance cover has to be down to trust in some respects.