Why become a member? ×

Can strings suddenly die?

ianrendall

Had a gig last Saturday. I knew something was up as soon as I plucked the first note. It sounded as if the tone control was fully off even though it was at max. I engaged active mode and boosted the highs and fiddled with the amp throughout the first half between numbers. Managed to allieviate the problem somewhat during the interval with further fiddling but still not quite right. The sound was fine at rehearsal the previous Wednesday. 

I soaked the strings in meths (Elixir Nanos) a day or two after the gig as a temporary measure to eliminate the strings from my enquiry. Restrung and all was normal. Will be purchasing new strings ASAP. No idea how old the strings were as they came with the bass when I purchased it used. 

So can strings just go dead like that?

Not really sure, but sometimes on a gig I'll suddenly realise they're going to need changing before the next one!

Losing their tone generally seems a very gradual thing with me (D'Addario nickels) but I've noticed that the period

in which I leave them on is often around the same each time, so they maybe do 'die' in a consistent manner?

I think it's more like you suddenly notice that they are dead. I've had similar experiences, there is some factor (different room?) that tips things over the edge.
After having the same thing happen (and because I'm weird like that) I keep a log book and record when and with what string all my basses are strung. I aslo record all gigs and what bass I used. I can generally head of such problems before they happen.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dom in Somerset said:

I think it's more like you suddenly notice that they are dead. I've had similar experiences, there is some factor (different room?) that tips things over the edge.
After having the same thing happen (and because I'm weird like that) I keep a log book and record when and with what string all my basses are strung. I aslo record all gigs and what bass I used. I can generally head of such problems before they happen.

Yes, the hall (Victoria Hall in Crewkerne) is a problem area, usually quite boomy so maybe that made it more noticeable. 

7 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Just an aside for the OP, are you coming to the SW Bass Bash? Don't see your name on the list, maybe you don't visit the Events lounge? If you are unaware and are interested, do give it a quick view.^_^

I’m afraid I have prior commitments. Shame really as it’s only up the road. Arrange it for the Quicksilver Mail next time ;)

Similar kinda thing happened to me once. I had a jam with a guitarist and the bass (Cort 5 string) sounded nice, plenty of highs, not at all too thumpy. Not new string tone but close enough. Went home from uni the next day for chrimbo and took the bass with me, didn't play on it for a couple of days but when I did plug in it sounded completely dead, all the way up to the G string. Not sure if it was the change of room or if the sweat had just had time to wreck the strings.

Always been a gradual thing for me. Playing 40yrs using Rotosounds, Fenders, D'addarios, DR's, Elites and Elixirs. 

I struggle to notice as much with Elixirs mainly because they last longer and therefore they fade over a longer period.

I usually find about 2-3 mths on a set with me playing almost every day whether that be at home, rehearsals or gigs. Find if gigging a lot i seem to sweat more and that can kill my strings a little quicker.

I always wipe my strings down during and especially when finished at rehearsals and gigs. Not so much at home tho.

Dave

On 17/03/2018 at 10:05, ianrendall said:

No idea how old the strings were as they came with the bass when I purchased it used.

They could have gone tits-up at any time, then. I've experienced this before and these days the first thing I do when I get a new (or used) bass is to put new strings on it. Then you can be sure you're using your preferred strings - the strings that came with the bass are probably unidentifiable - and you have no idea what state they're in or how old they are.

It's good to eliminate these variables, particularly as strings are one of the more affordable ways to radically improve the sound and playability of your bass. If you use flats, just buy some La Bellas and you'll never have to change strings again. :D

Edited by discreet

I once had a set of Elixirs that seemed to go dead on me very quick after fitting them. Very disappointed. Wrote to Elixir. They trusted me and they sent me a new set.  During the time I was waiting for said strings to arrive, the strings got their life back and I felt a fraud for complaining. Never had a problem since.

4 minutes ago, Grangur said:

I had a set of Elixirs go dead on me very quick after fitting them. Wrote to Elixir. They sent me a new set.  During the time I was waiting for said strings to arrive, the strings got their life back and I felt a fraud for complaining.

Ooh, you're going to Hell for sure!! :D

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrtcat said:

In my experience it's not like elixirs to go dead overnight. How did they respond to being soaked in meths? Wouldn't that knacker the coating?

It did eliminate the sound problems I was experiencing. Just a ‘quick fix’ to prove that it was indeed the strings and nothing electronic or expensive. It probably isn’t good for the strings long term, and as such I won’t be using them, but it seems they were due for replacement anyway. 

I had this problem with a well known brand of flats. The D and G strings went really dull compared to the other 2 strings after a couple of plays.

I had trimmed the ends of all the strings (I like to be neat n tidy ☺) and thought maybe that caused my strings to suddenly 'die'. Now I've learnt that one should bend the end just before the cut as there might be a bit of slippage between the core wire and the string wrapped around it once you've trimmed a bit off. Does any of that make sense or am I being fed BS? 

I might dig those flats out and try 'em again.

• Like 1

I've heard that too but i've always bent at 90 degrees and then cut to approx 20-30mm from the bend. I thought string packets always had that instruction on them but to be honest i've not read a package for a few years as once i've got strings i like i tend to stick with them. 

Currently using DR's but they haven't lasted any longer than the D'addarios and as they cost a fair bit more i can see me going back to the D'addarios.

Dave

8 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Currently using DR's but they haven't lasted any longer than the D'addarios and as they cost a fair bit more i can see me going back to the D'addarios.

Dave

How are you finding the DRs? Quite fancy a set of they fancy neon jobbies. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

How are you finding the DRs? Quite fancy a set of they fancy neon jobbies. 

They have a little less tension on them but i've found they don't really last much longer than the D'addarios nickel which has disappointed a bit.

They are a good enough string and i would say they have a more evenly balanced tone across the strings.

I do like them but they are more expensive than the strings i used before.

Are they worth the extra money ?  Not really sure as my playing has been on / off with changes to bands etc meaning i have no real comparison at the moment to the D'addarios that i was using for about 5 years.

Sorry if i've not been able to give you more feedback at this stage but its early days for me with them. My Jazz bass is on its first set since early Jan this year and my PJ is on its 1st set since Nov last year but i don't play that bass as much.

Dave

• Thanks 1