Why become a member? ×

Bass info search!

redd

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on this bass? Im thinking of moving it on and I've  got no idea what it's  currently worth. I bought it about 10 years ago from Colin Cross in Buxton. I think I paid about 1800 quid for it at the time.

It has had a fairly huge repair in the front. I bought a new expensive bag with wheels and it fell over :S. I probably wouldn't have paid for the repair as it was a big one. My uncle builds violins and did it for me. It split from the f hole upwards, horrible. 

You can see the pics here of the repair. 

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Andy

IMG_20180314_153647.jpg

IMG_20180314_153704.jpg

IMG_20180314_161305.jpg

IMG_20180314_161309.jpg

IMG_20180314_161316.jpg

I don't know how much these are new with a proper setup (2000 + setup ?), but I do rate Stentors and if I was looking for a new bass and the repair was solid and sound good etc etc I might offer around 1000 to 1200 if it's a 3/4 size. Don't know whether that's any help to you?

With things like this I sometimes think it's where a commission sale from a shop can work in everyone's favour, could it be worth seeing if a local instrument shop will take it in? Must be a few students that would like it at the right price that will pass through the shop along with local tutors? 

I recall one place buying something similar to use as a loaner bass for touring bands etc. 

https://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Brass-Strings/Stentor-Conservatoire-Double-Bass-3-4/V0K?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=40196d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=127164593839&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn6-_r7T-2QIVyLftCh0tvA3tEAQYAiABEgKaZvD_BwE

£2000.

Decent bass, fully carved, ebony board, nice size ... bit short on character maybe, but you pay a lot extra for that! (https://www.doublebasses.co.uk/instruments-sale)

If properly repaired - not too visible, no distortion to the top and no rattles or buzzes ... then the previous damage shouldn't count against it.  But as you CAN buy them new, it won't have appreciated any.  So around what you paid for it.

Selling to a dealer, they will tell you it's a factory bass of little value and offer you a few 100 quid, before giving it a polish and a setup, then back on sale for £2500 ;¬)