Why become a member? ×

SVT classic users - experience using this amp in pubs

Max Normal

I just acquired an SVT-CL head and I have a Paddy's day gig tomorrow night in a medium sized pub.  Usually I use my SVT3 pro and I get plenty of punch, cut-through and dynamics at pub volumes.

From experience, will this amp cut it at pub volumes or will it sound flat due to not being cranked enough?  Would you take the CL or the 3 pro?

Cab is an SVT410 HLF

Thanks for your advice!

An SVT-CL and a 401 HLF, will it cut it at a pub gig? You're kidding right?!!

I hope i don't sound patronising but you do know to make sure the amp is connected to the speaker before you switch it on?

oh and answer to the last qustion, the CL anyday...if you've not used one before you're in for a treat!

Edited by skidder652003

On 17/03/2018 at 15:30, skidder652003 said:

An SVT-CL and a 401 HLF, will it cut it at a pub gig? You're kidding right?!!

I hope i don't sound patronising but you do know to make sure the amp is connected to the speaker before you switch it on?

oh and answer to the last qustion, the CL anyday...if you've not used one before you're in for a treat!

Haha! Yes I do, I have been using valve and tranny amps for many years, I used to have an original 60's Orange with a 4x12 and a 70's Marshall valve head with an 8x10 may years ago before I switched to Trace.  Been a modern (hybrid) Ampeg man for the last 10 years or so but this my my first CL.  The advice I was asking was for a particular gig and the reason that I asked is that when I plugged the CL into my SVT HLF it really did not sound as good as the SVT3-Pro at home volume, so if my question was not clear, will this cut it for a smallish gig without lacking punch as I can't crank it.  My sound is important to me and I didn't have time to take it to a rehearsal so I didn't want to risk it for 1 gig. As it happened I took the 3-pro as it's a known quantity, but I have a few festivals coming up in the summer so the CL will get an airing then.

Not a newb and I didn't come down in the last shower, was just looking for some quick advice from those in the "know" so I didn't spoon my gig with a mushy bass sound.  Ultimately I'm a bit worried that the HLF is not the best pairing for this amp, it being a ported cab and all, the last CL I used was with a sealed 8x10 and it sounded much better.  Prob a bit much for pub gigs though.....

Not sure this is relevant, I was spoiled by the first SVT I purchased in 1973 new. It was the best amp I've ever owned. I had the SVT, my 1957 Pre CBS Fender Precision and a Meastro Phase Shifter. By the way the MRX Phase Shifter I use today doesn't come close to the Meastro.

I've been backlined with new SVTs, I'm not impressed.

I've convinced myself that no new nodel SVT would be as good as my 1973.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

I knew a guy who ordered a SVT with the speaker cord attached. Few bass players had a SVT. There have been so many players that I wanted a different sound. So Ashdown is my choice now.

Edited by grenadilla
erase the previous remarks

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Not sure this is relevant, I was spoiled by the first SVT I purchased in 1973 new. It was the best amp I've ever owned. I had the SVT, my 1957 Pre CBS Fender Precision and a Meastro Phase Shifter. By the way the MRX Phase Shifter I use today doesn't come close to the Meastro.

I've been backlined with new SVTs, I'm not impressed.

I've convinced myself that no new nodel SVT would be as good as my 1973.

Blue

2 or 3 years ago after Mr Big played Glasgow I had an exchange of emails with Billy Sheehan as I was surprised to see a bank of Hartke cabs on stage instead of his usual Ampegs.  he told me pretty much what Blue has noticed - the new 'not made in the USA anymore' amps and cabs just aren't the same as they used to be.  Not as reliable either (or so he says). Of course that could just be his contractual spiel for getting a Hartke endorsment.  For what it's worth, IMO,  he doesn't sound as good now as he used to with the ampeg kit. 

27 minutes ago, jacko said:

2 or 3 years ago after Mr Big played Glasgow I had an exchange of emails with Billy Sheehan as I was surprised to see a bank of Hartke cabs on stage instead of his usual Ampegs.  he told me pretty much what Blue has noticed - the new 'not made in the USA anymore' amps and cabs just aren't the same as they used to be.  Not as reliable either (or so he says). Of course that could just be his contractual spiel for getting a Hartke endorsment.  For what it's worth, IMO,  he doesn't sound as good now as he used to with the ampeg kit. 

The new ones are made in Vietnam and not in anyway as good as the USA ones (IMO), however, if you are lucky enough to get someone who knows their way around a tube amp you can get them sorted. Billy is right about the reliability issues.

Edited by skidder652003

In the last 12 months my SVT CL has blown a power valve twice, the same position both times!

local tech can’t find anything wrong with it, Derek at Watford Valves says it’s dry joints, so I had the tech reflow them, fingers crossed!

My SVT is Korean made btw.

4 minutes ago, Yardicus said:

In the last 12 months my SVT CL has blown a power valve twice, the same position both times!

local tech can’t find anything wrong with it, Derek at Watford Valves says it’s dry joints, so I had the tech reflow them, fingers crossed!

My SVT is Korean made btw.

same as mine, had the board completely redone, new JJ valves, done 30 gigs now, no probs sounds great, but deffo having it serviced every year (done last month £70 including new pre valve)

Edited by skidder652003