Why become a member? ×

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dov65

BigRedX, I literally agree with every word you've written, and in my simple and somewhat less constructive way, you have said exactly what my original comment was trying to express! (in an albeit much more tongue-in-cheek manner!) To grammar and all its enemies! :drinks:

Edited by binky_bass

The ... is called an ellipsis and is very often misused, much like the word 'literally'. Here is the definition from the OED.

Grammar. The omission of one or more words in a sentence, which would be needed to complete the grammatical construction or fully to express the sense; an instance of such omission.

Formerly used as the name of the dash (—) employed in writing or printing to indicate the omission of letters in a word.

It should only ever be three full stops long and always has a space after it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

The ... is called an ellipsis and is very often misused, much like the word 'literally'. Here is the definition from the OED.

Grammar. The omission of one or more words in a sentence, which would be needed to complete the grammatical construction or fully to express the sense; an instance of such omission.

Formerly used as the name of the dash (—) employed in writing or printing to indicate the omission of letters in a word.

It should only ever be three full stops long and always has a space after it.

In French, where punctuation is way more used, it has four uses.

1. The ellipsis, of course (In brackets, it indicates a break in a quote).

2. Placed at the end of the sentence, they imply a sequel, a reference, a complicity with the one to whom one speaks, a waiting effect.

3. They can also be used after the initial of a name or word (usually rude) that one does not wish to quote.

4. Replacing the last digit in a date.

So, maybe that the French grammar is slowly replacing the English one. This way they will eventually win the Hundred Years' War. :biggrin:

I don't give a s... : I'm Belgian. B|

6 hours ago, Hellzero said:

In French, where punctuation is way more used, it has four uses.

1. The ellipsis, of course (In brackets, it indicates a break in a quote).

2. Placed at the end of the sentence, they imply a sequel, a reference, a complicity with the one to whom one speaks, a waiting effect.

3. They can also be used after the initial of a name or word (usually rude) that one does not wish to quote.

4. Replacing the last digit in a date.

Thank you, I love learning stuff.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I'm dyslexic.

And because my dyslexia can make written communication difficult for me to read on occasions, I do my very best to make sure that what I type is clear and legible. Occasionally my brain will run ahead of my fingers and I'll miss out words or put the wrong ones in when autocorrect collapses two half words in a new single one. You've probably all seen them in posts from me. It's also why I rarely post from my phone or iPad, because the typing interface on those devices is just too much hard work for me.

I can read properly formatted text because I've trained myself to be able to do it. However when confronted with something like the OP my brain simply shuts down, and I have to move on. Luckily for me it is only occasionally a problem, and I've only had to block a few posters here and on other forums because everything they type sends my brain into meltdown trying to decipher it.

The OP is not dyslexic. They are either too lazy or too stupid to take the time to try and communicate in a clear manner. And because they haven't done that, they have run into problems. I also feel sorry for anyone who has to try and unravel what has been written. I wouldn't want to deal with someone like that on eBay (or anywhere else) either.

It only takes 10 minutes with a book or a decent quality newspaper, to realise that you do not format text like the OP has done, so why do people still persist in putting spaces before punctuation symbols, typing everything as a continuous stream of consciousness without breaking it up into neat paragraphs? 

If you can't take the time to make your post legible, I certainly can't take the time to try and work out what you are saying.

You get my not whining about a challenge and doing something about it award. Well done!

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, fleabag said:

Whopper of a fib. You lie like a Persian rug, sir

It might be better to accept that than spend hours digging through the box mountain in the loft to find the certificate, and then when I've found it, some clever so-and-so will say I photoshopped it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I communicated with Dave (the OP) through Feebay.

The issue was a bloke bought his Rick, then started playing the disabled daughter scam. Dave has very little experience of selling stuff, but he is an oil industry engineer who I would prefer NOT to have an upper cut from.

Our communication led to a flawless pincer movement on Carlisle station, him from Leven, Fife, me from Wigan, Lancs.

Not everybody can, or indeed wants to communicate in a manner considered by some to be the only way.

Frankly I'm disappointed in the perceived superiority and conclusion jumping that has gone on in this thread.

Not what I would expect of some of the experienced people who I would have thought knew better.

022.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, karlfer said:

The issue was a bloke bought his Rick, then started playing the disabled daughter scam. Dave has very little experience of selling stuff, but he is an oil industry engineer who I would prefer NOT to have an upper cut from.

Our communication led to a flawless pincer movement on Carlisle station, him from Leven, Fife, me from Wigan, Lancs.

Not everybody can, or indeed wants to communicate in a manner considered by some to be the only way.

Frankly I'm disappointed in the perceived superiority and conclusion jumping that has gone on in this thread.

Not what I would expect of some of the experienced people who I would have thought knew better.

022.JPG

must admit I found the sanctimonious bullying replies by the grammar nazi's a bit distasteful, wouldn't be surprised if the poor guy never darkens the Basschat forum again, wouldn't blame him

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, karlfer said:

022.JPG

Well said, and well played that man.

This place is not the most welcoming place to new members sometimes...15 posts the chap has and the thread asking for advice  gets turned into a bitchfest about gammar.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sanctimonious bullying? Little bit stern? Having re-read the entire thread I can't see anything that remotely could be classed as that. A small amount of banter maybe, an open and jestful discussion on the nature of text talk and someone's personal experiance reading/typing with dyslexia.

If we all get so offended by the conversation had on this thread then what hope do we have of future generations having any ability to cope with a single misplaced word being said. 

Nothing that was written is remotely offensive to me (yes I known offense is subjective) and if it is offensive, it is offensive in the mildest manner (usually considered 'bants'), and if that is too much for some then I find it all a little disheartening! But if any of those remarks regarding 'bullying' were aimed at me, then I will curb my thoughts and word myself more carefully going forward. 

Sorry to rant, but I just find it all a little silly. 

15 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Sanctimonious bullying? Little bit stern? Having re-read the entire thread I can't see anything that remotely could be classed as that. A small amount of banter maybe, an open and jestful discussion on the nature of text talk and someone's personal experiance reading/typing with dyslexia.

If we all get so offended by the conversation had on this thread then what hope do we have of future generations having any ability to cope with a single misplaced word being said. 

Nothing that was written is remotely offensive to me (yes I known offense is subjective) and if it is offensive, it is offensive in the mildest manner (usually considered 'bants'), and if that is too much for some then I find it all a little disheartening! But if any of those remarks regarding 'bullying' were aimed at me, then I will curb my thoughts and word myself more carefully going forward. 

Sorry to rant, but I just find it all a little silly. 

Smart derrière comment about grammar.

Smart derrière comment about "generation snowflake"

Like others, "oooh look what a clever stinky poo I am derailing this thread to my ego" instead of just moving on without comment.

Not bullying but certainly sanctimonious & self important.

And that flipping profanity filter is pissing me off as well!

Edited by karlfer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, karlfer said:

Unfortunately you can be very unlucky with ebay, but in several hundred trades I have only had a couple that went bad. I would imagine if the one that goes bad is your first, it is going to colour it badly!

Not sure if it is the only way, but I actually couldn't understand what he was saying, but I have been on the internet long enough to know that if I can't understand something, it is just easier for me to move on to the next thing.

022.JPG

Does that mean that is now yours (for a short time obviously!)?

2 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

must admit I found the sanctimonious bullying replies by the grammar nazi's a bit distasteful, wouldn't be surprised if the poor guy never darkens the Basschat forum again, wouldn't blame him

Incorrect apostrophe in ‘nazi’s’, there.

• Like 1

The comment about 'generation snowflake' is completely genuine, in my mind it is absolutely true. Unfortunately/fortunately for me my skin is fairly thick, most likely from various life experiences... Nothing that was said by me was intended as hurtful, spiteful or otherwise, however I do find it unnerving that such low key 'banter' can cause such a backlash of finger pointing and claims of bullying. I wonder how some would actually handled sustained and real bullying? And let me tell you unequivocally, this sir, is not that. 

I will bow out from further comment as I feel all that needs to be said is said. 

@Dov65 if I offended in anyway, then I apologise. But from where I stand nothing of the sort occurred. 

Good evening gents. Let's have a beer and shake hands! 

• Like 2