Why become a member? ×

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Dov65

Ok first time seller on ebay put on a Ricky everything fine several messages then 1 geezur starts telling me about his life and troubles (aint we all) sooo we agree on a price and the deals done..he buys it at the buy now price and i msg him saying i'll refund the difference..BUT as a new seller on ebay funds are held for 21 days so  told him and said i'll nip down to the bank in morning and square him up as he said he was over drawn...next thing a msg (4 infact) him saying he felt bad about the way things had been done and the paypal carry on and i was within my rights to  cancel the deal and from him bidding again..SO i did and relisted the bass blocked him and received a  msg today saying he's not happy as in very not happy and as he's a retired legality expert i aint heard the last off this..now on the very same day as the deal was done i had offers greater than his but kept it right..anyway spoke 2 some woman on ebay tonight very nice but couldnt understand half what i was saying most o the time ( Jocky Wilson lingo here) but bottom line is i've stuck by Ebay rules not broken any and THEY will protect me...my derrière first and last time 4 me

Sounds like a bloke I had come round years ago when I needed to get rid of a bike and get a car...he offered to swap his car for my bike, came over, and then started telling me about his breakdowns. Not the car's, his. That was the end of that.

On 17/03/2018 at 00:45, spectoremg said:

When did this ... replace a full stop?

It's useful when representing speech (which a lot of posts on here do), it is a pause without a break, a chance to breath without a change in the flow of conversation (or monologue).

That's how I use it, anyway, and I'm sure I'm right. Its just the doctors that disagree!

• Haha 1

all sounds a bit dodgy to me, think she probably realised, she'd got no comeback if she paid the full amount then you didn't refund the difference, the proper way would have been to change the 'buy it now' price, if I've understood it all properly

Edited by PaulWarning

On 3/18/2018 at 13:49, pete.young said:

Come on, cut the guy some slack. How do you know he isn't dsylexic?

I'm dyslexic.

And because my dyslexia can make written communication difficult for me to read on occasions, I do my very best to make sure that what I type is clear and legible. Occasionally my brain will run ahead of my fingers and I'll miss out words or put the wrong ones in when autocorrect collapses two half words in a new single one. You've probably all seen them in posts from me. It's also why I rarely post from my phone or iPad, because the typing interface on those devices is just too much hard work for me.

I can read properly formatted text because I've trained myself to be able to do it. However when confronted with something like the OP my brain simply shuts down, and I have to move on. Luckily for me it is only occasionally a problem, and I've only had to block a few posters here and on other forums because everything they type sends my brain into meltdown trying to decipher it.

The OP is not dyslexic. They are either too lazy or too stupid to take the time to try and communicate in a clear manner. And because they haven't done that, they have run into problems. I also feel sorry for anyone who has to try and unravel what has been written. I wouldn't want to deal with someone like that on eBay (or anywhere else) either.

It only takes 10 minutes with a book or a decent quality newspaper, to realise that you do not format text like the OP has done, so why do people still persist in putting spaces before punctuation symbols, typing everything as a continuous stream of consciousness without breaking it up into neat paragraphs? 

If you can't take the time to make your post legible, I certainly can't take the time to try and work out what you are saying.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

It only takes 10 minutes with a book or a decent quality newspaper, to realise that you do not format text like the OP has done, so why do people still persist in putting spaces before punctuation symbols, typing everything as a continuous stream of consciousness without breaking it up into neat paragraphs? 

If you can't take the time to make your post legible, I certainly can't take the time to try and work out what you are saying.

My theory is that many people treat written communication on the internet as an extension of speech, rather than a form of writing, and therefore produce exactly what you dislike, a stream of consciousness post with no formal punctuation.

It is certainly treated by a substantial proportion of users as informal communication, which doesn't lend itself to formal grammar, though as you say (or write) there is a limit to how far one can start from the (descriptive) rules of grammar before it becomes difficult, if not impossible, to understand what is being said (even though it is being written).

31 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

My theory is that many people treat written communication on the internet as an extension of speech, rather than a form of writing, and therefore produce exactly what you dislike, a stream of consciousness post with no formal punctuation.

It is certainly treated by a substantial proportion of users as informal communication, which doesn't lend itself to formal grammar, though as you say (or write) there is a limit to how far one can start from the (descriptive) rules of grammar before it becomes difficult, if not impossible, to understand what is being said (even though it is being written).

But in face to face spoken communication no one would be allowed to ramble on like the OP.

It would be broken up into more digestible/intelligible chunks by questions and other interruptions.

And informal shouldn't also mean incomprehensible.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

But in face to face spoken communication no one would be allowed to ramble on like the OP.

It would be broken up into more digestible/intelligible chunks by questions and other interruptions.

And informal shouldn't also mean incomprehensible.

I think I addressed the informal/incomprehensible dichotomy in my final sentence. I agree, however, that normal conversation is something involving a minimum of two participants, who will interrupt, make sounds indicating agreement/disagreement, elicit comments, etc

Internet communication is a relatively new form of personal interaction, and the ground rules have yet to be established, I think. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I think I addressed the informal/incomprehensible dichotomy in my final sentence. I agree, however, that normal conversation is something involving a minimum of two participants, who will interrupt, make sounds indicating agreement/disagreement, elicit comments, etc

Internet communication is a relatively new form of personal interaction, and the ground rules have yet to be established, I think. 

You've got it right, those people are making monologue when there was supposed to be a dialogue. So, psychologically speaking, they are simply egoistic and selfish. You just opened my eyes. Thanks.

45 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

It's hard to have a dialogue when you have to wait for the other person to respond, so people keep going on....and on...and on (you get the idea!)

But it is easy to break your ramblings up into bite-size chunks, with a RETURN.

Also here on an internet forum there is no need to use weird abbreviations that often only lose one letter in a 5+ letter word or TXT talk where you are (not) being charged by the character. 

Still the OP is not quite as bad as a character on another forum I frequent, who insists on typing everything in a geezer/mockney dialect. It must take him about twice as long to compose his posts as he battles with his device's auto-correct trying to turn his phonetics into proper words, unless of course he has already spent several hours programming everything into custom dictionaries!

Needless to say I've had to block all of his posts too.

Edited by BigRedX
Dyslexia

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

Also here on an internet forum there is no need to use weird abbreviations that often only lose one letter in a 5+ letter word or TXT talk where you are (not) being charged by the character. 

There is a technical term for people who do that kind of thing, but the profanity filter here would render it unintelligible!