Why become a member? ×

Drum software?

Thunderpaws

EZ Drummer is great but you have to reign it in a bit to get a natural sound and feel from it. I find the presets and the different packs you can buy for it sound over processed, which can make it a bit unnatural sounding. The jazz one especially is guilty of this, but with a bit of toning down and editing it's excellent. 

The Funkmasters pack has great sounds and preset grooves if you like that kind of thing. It's a good match for a P-bass going in direct.

Edited by project_c

This one will get you started, for free (it's not bad at all...)

MT Power Drum Kit Vst ...

... until you've saved up enough for Superior Drummer 3, which is excellent, but costs more (just under £300...).

There are many others, of course, but you'd need to specify your project needs to go into more detail.
Hope this helps.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Thunderpaws said:

Thanks folks. I can now go and look into those. 

Initially itll just be for getting basic song structures and ideas together at home. 

It’s Ableton Live Lite for the DAW.  

As Ambient says, bot GarageBand and Logic have good drum sequencers built in, but if you are not using a Mac and you also want an application that works stand alone, then specifically Toontrack's EZ Drummer 2 has got to be one of the best in terms of sounds, ease of use and price. I use it virtually everyday and I'm still finding cool things to do with it.

http://toontrack.com

The loops that come with the app are arranged in a 'finder' so that you can either tap in a groove that you are looking for and it will list hundreds that match, or you can select by a playing style (say half-time rock) and it will offer up a whole pile of grooves that might suit a chorus, or an intro. Fills and breaks are also included. 

One function I really like is that sometimes I find a cool groove but the kick drum doesn't match my bass line. That's ok as you can remove just one kit drum from a groove and replace it leaving all the other hit-hat and snare detail in place. 

You can create songs structures in the time bar and when the whole thing is ready you can export your work. Or, you can do all of this from within your DAW of choice because the app also runs as a plug in. You can trigger it via MIDI using a keyboard or an electric drum kit. 

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:12, Dad3353 said:

+1 ^^, if the budget won't stretch to Superior; less than half its price, and very good indeed.

Toontrack offer EZDrummer customers large discounts on Superior Drummer, several times a year.  I haven't succumbed yet, not required it.

On 3/18/2018 at 00:19, Thunderpaws said:

Thanks folks. I can now go and look into those. 

Initially itll just be for getting basic song structures and ideas together at home. 

It’s Ableton Live Lite for the DAW.  

Doesn't Ableton come with a drum plug-in?

Ableton is fine for programming drums, however it's arguably not the best DAW for 'band/instrument' recording, it's way more geared towards electronic music (which it's amazing at). As such you may want to look at Garageband, or Logic (running in it's simplified mode......allows you to get more advanced when you're ready), as mentioned above, they both have very useable drum sequencers.

Fun fact, although Logic's drum tracks appear as an audio wave at first, you can simply drag the part onto a spare soft-instrument track and it will show you the midi score......you could then apply any drum sounds soft-instrument (DFH, Tooktrak etc) on that track. Allows you to pull together drum grooves very easily, then apply your own preferred sounds to that groove.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Thanks 2