Why become a member? ×

Mexican Fenders

Hobbayne

The more recent MiM's seem to have a decent rep. I used to own a 1999 5 string MiM Jazz - worst bass I have ever owned. Tonally was a dud. Put a couple of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders in it & it was louder, but somehow still tonally lifeless. Every note sounded like a dull thud. Couldn't get a decent action on it either. The Pau Ferro fretboard looked nice though, which was that particular instruments only redeeming feature!

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for some input and your very own, highly prejudiced opinions.

I am thinking about getting a MiM P-Bass. At the moment, I am playing a very cheap P-Bass copy, which is a mix between a musical instrument and a device to build some serious forearm muscles. Testing some Fender basses at my local instruments dealer felt like a delight and as I postponed my plans on robbing a bank, my budget won't allow for any Fender American Somethings (by the way, I heard rumors stating Mexico is a part of America, too).

Which leaves me with two options. 

a) The Fender Standard P- Bass MiM

b) Classic Series 50s P - Bass (also MiM)

I played both of them and I actually preferred the feel of the MiM, mainly because the slightly thinner neck felt more comfortable, but I am quite certain I might get used to the Classic Series' neck, as I am a bit of giant with relatively large hands, anyway. The only problem is it is about 200GBP more expensive. Will it be worth it?

As far as I understand it, the Classic is using a better pickup and the wood is looking a bit nicer. I didn't have the time to properly check the difference in sound, which I will do in the coming days, but for now, I'm just looking for some feedback. 

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 16:23, Hobbayne said:

I have a Nate Mendel which is fantastic. However, I am thinking of getting another Mexican P Bass as a back up.

I seem to recall that Mexican made Fenders suffered a bit from poor build quality back in the day and were not all that great.

What are the new ones like these days??

I've got a Nate Mendel too which I agree is fantastic but mine is now 3rd choice behind my Sandberg TM4 and a Limelight Precision I bought from here a few weeks ago. I've been following your 'for sale' thread with interest as I'm debating whether to trade mine in for a more powerful bass head to compliment my new Barefaced BB2 cab which I also bought on here recently!

I'd say the Nate is better than both US made Precisions I've owned in the past but I also have an early 1980s MIJ PB-551 which gives it a good run for it's money.

Well in terms of build quality the Classic 50s is a better bass, using better materials, the neck width is easy enough to adjust to, especially for a giant xD

Usually I`d recommend the bass that your hands preferred, but that adjustment sorts itself pretty quickly - when I got my current US Standard my fretting hand ached for about a week or so, due to the extra depth on the neck, now I don`t even notice it and in fact find it more comfortable than shallower necks.

• 3 weeks later...

I played a MIM and USA Std Precision yesterday. Both RW boards, and both the same colour (in case of unconscious bias). My main comment was that the MIM was higher output and maybe a little more scooped - perhaps a more modern take on the sound. Both sounded like {P-basses though.  The USA had slightly nicer finishing on the edge of the fretboard (I assume this is the rolled finish) and the neck was a little shallower at the headstock. In terms of relative difference, I'd have paid maybe an extra 150 quid for the USA over the MIM. Both basses felt light, comfortable and well balanced. The ticket difference was £800.  I have a sunburst USA Jazz fretless, which is a beautiful instrument and it's possible that with a sunburst finish, you'd notice some nicer wood on the USA models, but honestly, I'm not even considering the USA P. It's more a case of do I get a MIM and replace the bridge, scratchplate and maybe the pickups (so about 200 quid tops and I already have a bridge) vs a Nate Mendel and replace nothing. £900 gets you a very nice P-Bass and even £550 gets you most of the way there IMO.

I recently bought a Mexican Fender FSR 70's Precision as a backup to my US Fender 75 AVRI Jazz and to be honest, there really is no difference in quality between the two. So much that I am warming towards using the Mexican Precision more. It sounds and plays beautifully and just as well as the Jazz. In the past I have had a Mexican reissue 70's Jazz and that was probably the nicest Fender Jazz I have ever played and I have an inch to get another as well as the Flea Jazz.

Here are my two lovely ladies :)

IMG_2852_thumb_jpg_a91a977e28963de92d840dbaed7a74a4.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely pair of Fenders, really like the natural finish, but prefer a dark fingerboard personally.

I have the same experience as you, but the other way around, with US Standard Precisions and Mexican Jazzes. I swapped my US Jazz for a US Precision last year, and my new MiM Jazz is a perfectly good replacement for it.

My go to bass for years now has been a MIM 70's reissue Jazz Bass. I have three and this one is just the one that plays and feels right to me. The only issue I had was the bridge, which was totally rubbish, kept collapsing! Simple swap out with a Gotoh bridge solved that.

7 hours ago, radiophonic said:

I played a MIM and USA Std Precision yesterday. Both RW boards, and both the same colour (in case of unconscious bias). My main comment was that the MIM was higher output and maybe a little more scooped - perhaps a more modern take on the sound. Both sounded like {P-basses though.  The USA had slightly nicer finishing on the edge of the fretboard (I assume this is the rolled finish) and the neck was a little shallower at the headstock. In terms of relative difference, I'd have paid maybe an extra 150 quid for the USA over the MIM. Both basses felt light, comfortable and well balanced. The ticket difference was £800.  I have a sunburst USA Jazz fretless, which is a beautiful instrument and it's possible that with a sunburst finish, you'd notice some nicer wood on the USA models, but honestly, I'm not even considering the USA P. It's more a case of do I get a MIM and replace the bridge, scratchplate and maybe the pickups (so about 200 quid tops and I already have a bridge) vs a Nate Mendel and replace nothing. £900 gets you a very nice P-Bass and even £550 gets you most of the way there IMO.

Yep, I`ve changed the bridge plate for a Gotoh one on my MIM that has the grooves in (£15), changed the scratchplate (£10) put a set of Tonerider pickups in (£35) plus a KiOgon wiring loom (£30). I`ve also added a Hipshot triple string retainer (£15) to keep the pesky A string where it should be. I`ve pretty much decided to now use my MIM as my main gigging bass. I bought it for £350 and have added an extra £100 to it, it will now save me gigging my fave US Precision that cost me £900. Now I`m not doing the US instruments down, not at all, they are my fave, but the current MIMs really are very good value, especially if you buy one second hand and make any changes you feel you need.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dougieb said:

My go to bass for years now has been a MIM 70's reissue Jazz Bass. I have three and this one is just the one that plays and feels right to me. The only issue I had was the bridge, which was totally rubbish, kept collapsing! Simple swap out with a Gotoh bridge solved that.

I had the exact same trouble with a mex precision a few years ago. no matter what I did the e saddle kept dropping. I did the same as you I put on a 201 gotoh was lovely 

• Like 1

The Gotoh I have is a bridge that I bought in about 1990 for a Tokai Jazz and looking at it now, it's almost identical to what Fender a putting on their USA Pros. Apparently it cost me £21. I'm still slightly leaning towards the Nate Mendel though, just for the neck.

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:17, dougieb said:

I totally get criticism of early MIM basses. The white P in my avatar is from 1992 and the neck pocket has a gap on the E side big enough to slip a penny into - hey, I was 17 and didn't know what to watch out for when I got it!  That said, there's never had a problem with tuning stability and the thing is a tank that has had over 25 years of abuse and just keeps going and going.

Also have a black 2017 Precision with a maple board - plays beautifully and I can't find any fault with the construction or finishing. Finally, there's a 70's reissue Jazz Bass too and I'd just echo what other folk say about them - really great playing (and looking) bass for the money. If only they made them in more than two colours!

Edited by hairyhaw

On 5/1/2018 at 16:08, hairyhaw said:

I totally get criticism of early MIM basses. The white P in my avatar is from 1992 and the neck pocket has a gap on the E side big enough to slip a penny into - hey, I was 17 and didn't know what to watch out for when I got it!  That said, there's never had a problem with tuning stability and the thing is a tank that has had over 25 years of abuse and just keeps going and going.

Also have a black 2017 Precision with a maple board - plays beautifully and I can't find any fault with the construction or finishing. Finally, there's a 70's reissue Jazz Bass too and I'd just echo what other folk say about them - really great playing (and looking) bass for the money. If only they made them in more than two colours!

It's interesting you mention the neck pocket. When I first picked up the MIM last weekend, I though the gap looked a little wide (not a penny width, just not perfectly seated), however the bass was white which will tend to emphasise any void. Then I looked at the US one and it was identical. Whatever the tolerance is, it looked consistent.