Why become a member? ×

Great gig, poor turnout

pbasspecial

I would rather play to a small audience who want to see a band than a bigger audience who think you're making their conversation difficult and ruining the atmosphere of their local boozer. It's good "training" for difficult situations, like how to handle two very scary punks walking on stage demanding you play songs you don't know, requests for "happy birthday" (clue, learn to play happy birthday) and general audience abuse/ banter. 

We recently played a pub gig where the pub was full but less than ten people at any one time were interested in the band. One of those ten has booked us for his fiftieth birthday. The bar manager has booked us in once per quarter at higher pay than the first gig. Other people thought we were ruining their night and were annoyed we didn't know all of their favourite songs. Can't win them all!

• Like 1

Gigs like this are a bad business model for someone and are not tenable in the long run. Most bands are playing in the corner of a pub. Many of these are not "proper" gigs but the pub manager thinking you'll deliver him a room full of punters. In the long run this doesn't work either. Some people will come out to see a local band at a local gig but "out of town" bands won't necessarily have that local following. If the venue can't generate an audience then most of the bands won't either. 

We had this when a venue decided to ditch all but the local bands, because they, "Bought in the punters". When I asked how many local bands there were they said, "About 4 or 5". So they were expecting 4 or 5 bands to fill the place twice a week for the whole year! Of course they coudn't sustain that and there are no gigs there anymore.

The venue has to be responsible for filling the gig every week with its own punters (people who want to go to that gig and on a regular basis) and the band's audience will be the top up.

Unfortunately the bottom line seems to be that in the UK most people are too lazy to go out to see most of the live music that's available. Compared to a night in front of the TV with a drink at your elbow, a gig is noisy, expensive, uncomfortable and inconvenient.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

a gig is noisy, expensive, uncomfortable and inconvenient.

This is all too often the case. Blaming the (non-) punters for being "lazy" is ridiculous. The onus is on venues and performers to provide an experience that is appealing and attractive. 

4 minutes ago, Earbrass said:

This is all too often the case. Blaming the (non-) punters for being "lazy" is ridiculous. The onus is on venues and performers to provide an experience that is appealing and attractive. 

so true!

my main band was hired once for a casual dining/drinking place, supposed to play between 9 and midnight. Even 'though we kept the volume down (using an electronic drumkit etc), our music is not exactly soothing background. A couple of tables asked to be moved away from the improvised stage, unsurprisingly, as they were to have a meal and chat. It was embarrasing for us to be there, to be honest. We finished the gig (later in the night it got a lot better, volume was turned up and people danced) but the interesting thing was that it was *us* who had to tell the venue that it may not be a good idea to host this kind of gigs at that time of the day... some venue managers don't seem to be very much in tune. Others think that hiring the cheapest 4 guys with guitars will be a hit, and get surprised when the audience doesn't really get into the music they're murdering...

Gigs like that happen. We've had weekends where we've done a couple of gigs. One has been a brilliant, buzzing event and the other has been completely flat. We've not done anything different. Often it's the gig you're really looking forward to is the crap one and the one that you're not expecting much from is brilliant. Mark it down to experience and march on.

If a particular venue is consistently poor we do discuss if we want to continue playing there. It's certainly beyond comprehension if a venue doesn't do any promotion and quite frustrating. In years to come it's the really poor gigs that will give you a laugh when you look back at them - wedding reception with only one guest apart from the bride and groom anyone?! :D

Don't let it put you off

4 minutes ago, Norris said:

Gigs like that happen. We've had weekends where we've done a couple of gigs. One has been a brilliant, buzzing event and the other has been completely flat. We've not done anything different. Often it's the gig you're really looking forward to is the crap one and the one that you're not expecting much from is brilliant. Mark it down to experience and march on.

If a particular venue is consistently poor we do discuss if we want to continue playing there. It's certainly beyond comprehension if a venue doesn't do any promotion and quite frustrating. In years to come it's the really poor gigs that will give you a laugh when you look back at them - wedding reception with only one guest apart from the bride and groom anyone?! :D

Don't let it put you off

The crap ones can be laugh to be remembered! We did a wedding (for a a mate and for free!) and not only did we not even get a drink, I bought a round for the bride and groom!

3 hours ago, mcnach said:

my main band was hired once for a casual dining/drinking place, supposed to play between 9 and midnight. Even 'though we kept the volume down (using an electronic drumkit etc), our music is not exactly soothing background. A couple of tables asked to be moved away from the improvised stage, unsurprisingly, as they were to have a meal and chat

We have just turned down a restaurant gig. Don't think they want rock/ soul/ funk covers while people are trying to eat. Also I don't think they knew what they were doing. They offered £150 expecting us to provide PA, lights, etc and wouldn't budge. Even if they'd offered what we usually take we would have turned it down for fear of just being complained at by diners.

I remember well one particular night at a crap pub in Highbridge, at the end of the gig I counted what I thought was an 'audience' of seven... and then realised I'd included the singer's girlfriend and the bar staff.

Stuff happens. Just call it a paid rehearsal.

Had a gig like that last November at a Sports Club in Surrey. We promoted the hell out of it on Facebook, promoter tried to do his best and we ended up playing to about 5 people.

It is what it is, but also a lesson learned that you can't make people come out to a gig if they don't want to. A night out in a venue isn't cheap anymore, and people are more interested in other things than coming out and watching live music.

It happens. Its a bummer. It gets you down. It stays in your head. Your band starts talking about what they could have done, could be doing better, must be changing whatever, its the bloody drummer/guitarist/keyboard player/singer/horn section/ triangle players fault :biggrin: ect ect. Sometimes we have a run of bad ones . One after the other. Then there's that usual good one but the weather, football matches, the rugby, fireworks you name it sticks the boot in.  It passes though and our usual happy pub,happy punters,happy band resumes.

This weekend just gone I expected an empty venue due to the weather but it was packed. Same place has been less than half full in the summer.

I've been there so  can appreciate your disappointment. Way back in time I played in a Pigbag-early Thompson Twins type combo and there were as many in the band as there were punters but we had a good laff about it and got quite pally with them. From  the perspective of punters who just want to go out with their mates for a chat,  live music might be the last thing they want. I've often given pubs the swerve if they've got music acts on. It's the way things are going, lots of bands out there but a dwindling crowd base.

59 minutes ago, bassjim said:

This weekend just gone I expected an empty venue due to the weather but it was packed. Same place has been less than half full in the summer.

We struggled to a gig a few years ago through the snow to a small village pub. It was packed as the locals couldn't go anywhere else and a great night. Played there again in the summer and it was half full - everyone was at home having barbecues. You can't win them all.

I run a regular Jazz gig in Felixstowe in Suffolk and have done for about 5 years. I learned a long time ago that there is absolutely no relationship between the quality of music and the number of people who turn up to see it. I can put on a big name name and no-one turns up or put on some relative unknowns and the place is rammed. It's a lottery. You can influence it but you can't control it.

53 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

a lot of cover bands just play the same songs gig after gig, then wonder why they can't get a crowd when they play twice a month. Don't be lazy, change your setlist often.

Absolutely the point I keep making to my own band!! Well said.

1 hour ago, bazzbass said:

a lot of cover bands just play the same songs gig after gig, then wonder why they can't get a crowd when they play twice a month. Don't be lazy, change your setlist often.

Playing somewhere twice a month has got to be unusual hasn't it ?

I suppose we're guilty of not changing the set often, mainly because it works, but we'll only do 2 gigs a year at any particular venue

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Les said:

Playing somewhere twice a month has got to be unusual hasn't it ?

I suppose we're guilty of not changing the set often, mainly because it works, but we'll only do 2 gigs a year at any particular venue

Les, we're not good at having rehearsals on adding new material. But even playing 4 hour gigs we have a lot of good material we can't fit into every show.

Plus we have followers that want to hear the same songs we've been playing for years 

Blue

• Like 1

Sometimes the gigs with few people can be the best, I’d rather have a half dozen people who are enjoying the music and engage with you than 30 people ignoring us.

our audience is quite niche, we don’t play rock classics but funk classics, sometimes we go down great, sometimes people just want to hear some status quo...

On 16/03/2018 at 20:22, PaulGibsonBass said:

We did a pub gig a couple of months ago where at best we had five people watching us, two of whom spent the whole night watching the Anthony Joshua fight on their iPad. You try to adopt the attitude of playing your best whether it’s one person or one thousand, but bloody hell it’s hard sometimes. Ironically we played really well and we got an enquiry for s 21st party so all was not lost! Luckily nights like that are rare but they do happen! 

This is why you have to play your best at all times, you never know who is watching lol. 

It can be downright soul destroying at times!!

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 20:59, phil.c60 said:

Don't be lazy, find some different venues!

I meant twice a month, NOT at the same venue. You still rely on your fans and friends to come to any show you play, right? give em some variety :)

not so easy for my bands, all originals, not so easy to add new songs hehe

but a friend's cover band is very lazy, it is obvious their setlist comprises songs that a) most of the musicians already learnt in their previous bands, and b) are easy to learn quickly. So, Back in Black, Summer of 69....you get the picture :)