Why become a member? ×

A new bass for dub reggae

Klive Gee

22 hours ago, Klive Gee said:

Thanks for the Yamaha link Al Krow. I've just managed to buy one of the last Yamaha BB714BS Billy Sheehan Signature basses in the country. Very happy :-)

Very jealous! There was a pretty heavily modded red one for sale here a year or two ago that I wish I’d picked up. Looked incredible! No idea who bought it but I’d be tempted if it came up for sale again...

19 hours ago, police squad said:

you need an original Steinberger.

This ^

In that past year I've seen hollie cook, katchafire,  Lee scratch Perry, black seedsamongst others. 

The bass player is always plying a steinberger. 

• Thanks 1

This will give you some righteously clean and deep dub bass sounds. They are not cheap new but occasionally they come around used on ebay. 
http://www.alembic.com/prod/sf2.html

I use mine only if I'm using decent cabs that can deal with heavy bottom end.

?format=1000w

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Thanks 1

On 17/03/2018 at 16:45, Shaggy said:

Ovation Magnum - more low end in the fundamental tone than any bass I've played, but clear and articulate with it - no mud.  They do crop up 2nd hand.

as played by Jah Wobble.....

image.jpeg

One of the few notable basses that I’ve never played. What’s the weight like? I always imagined they’d be somewhat heavy.

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

One of the few notable basses that I’ve never played. What’s the weight like? I always imagined they’d be somewhat heavy.

Typically '70's - a fair slab of solid Honduras mahogany with chunky hardware, so not light, but not unduly heavy.   Nicely comfortable to wear and play though - Ovation were into ergonomics before it was fashionable.  My factory fretless Magnum 1 has been my longest keeper by far.

• 1 month later...
On 17/03/2018 at 19:49, Klive Gee said:

Yes, always been a fan of Japanese instruments. This song was recorded with an Ibanez SR500 DI'd. I convert the 4 string basses I play to BEAD, tried a 5 but couldn't get it.

Not sure how I missed this post - but love the track and really good reggae bass line / tone!

I'm guessing you had the tone rolled right off? What was the rest of your signal chain other than your Ibby SR?

Edited by Al Krow

On 17/03/2018 at 16:45, Shaggy said:

Ovation Magnum - more low end in the fundamental tone than any bass I've played, but clear and articulate with it - no mud.  They do crop up 2nd hand.

as played by Jah Wobble.....

image.jpeg

Wobble’s bass sound on the Invaders stuff is amazing; Ovation Magnum and an octave pedal - earth shaking.

On 3/18/2018 at 09:38, uk_lefty said:

An Ovation Magnum keeps coming up on gumtree on Stevenage, some guy who sells loads of basses and hundreds of drum bits. Worth searching for if you want one. 

He's a well known (in Stevenage anyway) drummer...his name currently eludes me...

• 2 weeks later...

I saw (and heard) a great reggae bass player on TV yesterday. He had a headless Steinberger/Hohner (couldn't identify it as it was stickered over the logo) with a properly rounded tone. Helped in no small part by his playing style which was to pluck the strings around the twelfth fret. The effect of plucking hand positioning should not be underestimated - in my experience. 

• Like 1

When I used to play in a reggae/dub band i used my Peavey T40 with both pickups at full humbucker mode, and played fairly close to the end of the fretboard. I also kept the same dean markley strings on for ever, and they sounded very un-zingy :)

Gibson EB2, if you can find one with the "bass boost" still working. It was *the* bass for reggae in the 60s. There are some around - should be around £2k in good condition. This one's on eBay at £800 atm (closing tomorrow) if you live near Portsmouth.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-EB2-Bass-Guitar-Vintage/282974297203?hash=item41e2951c73:g:318AAOSw6D1bAZOH