Why become a member? ×

A new bass for dub reggae

Klive Gee

Hi folks

I'm looking for a new bass that will give me a very deep low for live and recording.
At the moment I'm playing live with a 73 Telecaster humbucker bass which is not great for recording.
For recording I'm using an Ibanez SR1400 but I don't get on with the skinny neck however the Nordstrand Big Single pickups sound great.

Thanks in advance.
Klive

Ampeg SCR DI.  Orange AD200 amp + 2x Barefaced Four10's

Yamaha BB425. Roll the tone off and set it in P bass mode and you'll have a lush dub tone in a quality bass. 

There's one going for a good price on fBook (I have no connection to the seller!):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/689090051102626/permalink/1844064058938547/?sale_post_id=1844064058938547

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yamaha BB425. Roll the tone off and set it in P bass mode and you'll have a lush dub tone in a quality bass. 

There's one going for a good price on fBook (I have no connection to the seller!):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/689090051102626/permalink/1844064058938547/?sale_post_id=1844064058938547

Thanks for the Yamaha link Al Krow. I've just managed to buy one of the last Yamaha BB714BS Billy Sheehan Signature basses in the country. Very happy :-)

Edited by Klive Gee

I've had two mahogany basses. An old Ibanez Lawsuit PJ and a Yamaha BB400s which I still own. Both of these, on the P pickup, have had the creamiest deepest thickest lows I've ever experienced. Not sure if this is coincidence or whether mahogany has that quality as a tonewood. Thoughts?

Hey congrats on the new bass!! I managed to get the last vintage white BB1025 recently and am also very happy!

I'm actually also a big fan of the nord pups on the Ibby SR series (and although, unlike you, I do like the skinny neck on the 4 string SR I have; it's perhaps on 5 and 6 string basses that a skinny neck really comes into its own!), Anyway, we seem to have a mutual appreciation of quality Japanese basses!

Would love to hear any clips of your live / recorded material if you have any stuff uploaded?

4 minutes ago, King Tut said:

I've had two mahogany basses. An old Ibanez Lawsuit PJ and a Yamaha BB400s which I still own. Both of these, on the P pickup, have had the creamiest deepest thickest lows I've ever experienced. Not sure if this is coincidence or whether mahogany has that quality as a tonewood. Thoughts?

IMHO pups have a MUCH bigger impact on tone than the wood and perhaps the single biggest impact on tone, other than 'in your face pedals', of anything in the signal chain. So I'm in agreement with @burno70 that the P set up, with the tone dialled off, is the thing to go for here - and no surprise that your P pups are delivering the creamiest deepest lows :)  Having said that, mahogany is just a lovely hardwood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

That was dub he wanted, not flobbadob. :biggrin:

I know that you were joking but the Ashbury I had provided a really fat tone which would be ideal for dub. I don't like the white strings it came with but I'm told the black ones which are fitted to Ukes are a lot less sticky.

I'd definitely give it a go if there is one nearby.

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Hey congrats on the new bass!! I managed to get the last vintage white BB1025 recently and am also very happy!

I'm actually also a big fan of the nord pups on the Ibby SR series (and although, unlike you, I do like the skinny neck on the 4 string SR I have; it's perhaps on 5 and 6 string basses that a skinny neck really comes into its own!), Anyway, we seem to have a mutual appreciation of quality Japanese basses!

Would love to hear any clips of your live / recorded material if you have any stuff uploaded?

Yes, always been a fan of Japanese instruments. This song was recorded with an Ibanez SR500 DI'd. I convert the 4 string basses I play to BEAD, tried a 5 but couldn't get it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Not sure about the looks matching the sounds, but for very deep lows I`d be looking at a Thunderbird.

I'd love to have a Thunderbird but as my hair has been falling out my bass has been getting higher n a Tbird would definitely look daft sat on my beer gut :-)

3 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Ovation Magnum - more low end in the fundamental tone than any bass I've played, but clear and articulate with it - no mud.  They do crop up 2nd hand.

as played by Jah Wobble.....

image.jpeg

That would be very nice. Rare I'm guessing?

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I know that you were joking but the Ashbury I had provided a really fat tone which would be ideal for dub. I don't like the white strings it came with but I'm told the black ones which are fitted to Ukes are a lot less sticky.

I'd definitely give it a go if there is one nearby.

Do you you mean the Ashbory. I have borrowed one and it did have a deep unique sound and was fun.

29 minutes ago, Klive Gee said:

That would be very nice. Rare I'm guessing?

Not especially rare, but the couple on eBay at the moment are silly money.   £700 ought to buy a tidy one, and they're really lovely and unique basses.   Stay clear of the active II & IV models if for recording as they can be noisy (the I and III models are passive / stereo).

• Thanks 1