Why become a member? ×

Professional refinish

willkt6

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm looking for a professional refinish on a couple of basses which play great but I want to give a new lease of life of 10+ years of ownership! Google hasn't been too helpful.

I'm not too practical (slash terrified of damaging something) so basically would like someone who can take it apart, paint it and put it back together - does anyone have any recommendations in London / SE or is this just something any luthier will do?

Edited by willkt6

Just now, willkt6 said:

Would you recommend this place? It did pop up in a search.

The quality looks great with Martin Sims but the price is on the high side for the quality of the basses I'm thinking of having refinished...

Absolutely - I believe they taught Martin Sims a shed load about finishing. They also used to do all the finishing for Status before they took it in house. They do the finishing for a GB Guitars, Feline guitars and other independent luthiers. They do the finishing for a certain high brow hair brush company... I've know then do (a hell of a lot of) roulette wheels, harps, car dashboards, pianos, drums etc... I would say they are amongst the best and possibly most experienced polyester spray shop in the country. One of the guys there is a pretty handy luthier of acoustics.

Their website certainly doesn't represent the standard of their work.

On 16/03/2018 at 15:47, willkt6 said:

Would you recommend this place? It did pop up in a search.

The quality looks great with Martin Sims but the price is on the high side for the quality of the basses I'm thinking of having refinished...

What do you call high?

I've finished a few and, to be honest, for all the time involved; stripping, sanding, spraying, drying, spraying, cleaning up  ect, £100 would be a really cheap price just for spraying without any taking the bass apart or reassembly.  

For a pro-shop you can add the commercial overheads and 20% VAT.

A refin isn't going to be cheap.

Edited by Grangur

I have had a couple of necks and a body finished in nitro by Retro169, based in Newquay. I have only sent him unpainted stuff. It is finished in nitro and, although it is his speciality, does not necessarily have to have relic work done to it (the three pieces I had done had no relic work done). Good communication, good prices, good quality of work. 

15 hours ago, Grangur said:

A refin isn't going to be cheap.

Absolutely understand, and the reason I was looking for places is to get an idea of cost. I think it may outweigh the benefits for the two instruments I'm thinking of (Ibanez SR500 and Warwick Rockbass both probably worth £3-400 now).

I think £150 each would be my upper limit.