Why become a member? ×

Weird Question but I'm kinda a noob

Hotel352nd

So basically. I have heard a sound that I'd like to try and make just because I really like how it sounds. But I don't know exactly what part of the is getting that sound I am looking for. Actually there are 2 sounds. 

First is Justin Chancellors sound. The best video i could find that isolated the bass is a cover. 

I know tool use a lot of effects, but what I'm looking for is that tone. What im wondering is where that comes from? Is it the kind of pick-ups, the amp or a peddle getting the sound? The sound i'm talking about I don't know how to describe, but it is that sound at the start. He also uses a pc instead of an amp, but like Justin Chancellor doesn't. I don't think!! 

The other sound I like is the crunchy (best word I can think for it) sound Marco Hietala gets in Nightwish (And I assume Tarot too but I am less familiar with them!) 

For the tl;dr how do Justin Chancellor and Marco Hietala get the tone that they do? 

Basically I'm on a budget and want to get a sound I like as cheap as I can. 

Playing closer to the bridge will give you more "twang" (as I think of it sometimes) with either pick or fingers. I didn't realise JC used a pick for ages. (I actually think it took seven or eight months before I realised bassists use them aswell!) He also uses chorus and delay in a lot of tunes, thinking of the bass melody in the grudge as an example. As suggested, try boosting the mids (or cutting the bass/treble) on both amp and guitar

Clueless about Nightwish though. Sorry/not sorry about that 😉

Edited by Sandy 5

8 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

I had to listen to check.

Love the rhythm though.

Same here & agreed, but I can't help but think that he could do with turning up the bass a bit.
I've never listened to the original, but if the drums are a bass lacking as they are in that, then hopefully there's a sub synth a bit later on the track (I only got about 1:30 in).

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years." :biggrin: Attributed to Mark Twain (but not actually by him).

On 16/03/2018 at 13:26, Hotel352nd said:

First is Justin Chancellors sound. The best video i could find that isolated the bass is a cover. 

I know tool use a lot of effects, but what I'm looking for is that tone. What im wondering is where that comes from? Is it the kind of pick-ups, the amp or a peddle getting the sound? The sound i'm talking about I don't know how to describe, but it is that sound at the start. He also uses a pc instead of an amp, but like Justin Chancellor doesn't. I don't think!!

But you are not listening to his tone there, you are listening to someone playing along with it, although it sounds similar, because it is not that hard a tone to get. But there are actual isolated bass tracks out there like this:

Which is obviously easier to work out a tone from, as that really is his isolated bass tone.

As far as I can see the only effect in that one is a bass whammy

• Like 1