Why become a member? ×

St. Paddy's

Yank

I'm doing a gig on St. Paddy's and decided to do a couple Irish tunes a set.  Gotta do Danny Boy and When Irish Eyes are Smilin',  even though they prob aren't Irish tunes but every one knows and expects them.  I'm back them with Star of the County Down and The Auld Triangle and Whiskey in the Jar and The Minstral Boy.  I'll wear green,  but what I WON'T do,  is drink green beer and sing with a stupid faux Irish accent.  

36 minutes ago, pete.young said:

I think this must be a US thing. I've never heard of anyone drinking green beer in Ireland or England.

Isn't this mainly in Boston (and not the one in Lincolnshire) where they also dye the river green?

52 minutes ago, Yank said:

I'm doing a gig on St. Paddy's and decided to do a couple Irish tunes a set.  Gotta do Danny Boy and When Irish Eyes are Smilin',  even though they prob aren't Irish tunes but every one knows and expects them.  I'm back them with Star of the County Down and The Auld Triangle and Whiskey in the Jar and The Minstral Boy.  I'll wear green,  but what I WON'T do,  is drink green beer and sing with a stupid faux Irish accent.  

Thank you for the patronage never the less.

Having had an Irish parent and an English one, I have to distance myself somewhat from patriotic tendencies in case I get disoriented.  The St Patrick's day thing is not something I ever subscribed to even when living in the old country as I did for many years.  I am the same with St George's day.

Enjoy the day as you see fit.  Any excuse for a knees up is a good one.

35 minutes ago, pete.young said:

I think this must be a US thing. I've never heard of anyone drinking green beer in Ireland or England.

Maybe it's not seen so much but it happens anyway.  I avoid pubs on the day even if they don't taint the beer because it just gets silly.

5 hours ago, Yank said:

but what I WON'T do,  is drink green beer and sing with a stupid faux Irish accent.  

Singing in a drink faux Irish accent is almost unavoidable if you do The Pogues version of Dirty Old Town. 

Or any other Pogues songs TBF. 

1 hour ago, Brook_fan said:

Ah, Star of County Down, one of my favourite tunes...

More Brook brilliance from the House of Jessop. Thanks for sharing; a real nugget of treasure on this forum. :hi:

(I like the X/Y micing, too; class all the way B| ...)

I used to love St Patricks day in my yuff when I was living in London. Most of my mates (like me) were plastic Paddies :) Still had some of the best parties and music and a huge 2 day hangover. Couldn't do it now :)

Got to be some of this :)

9 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

More Brook brilliance from the House of Jessop. Thanks for sharing; a real nugget of treasure on this forum. :hi:

(I like the X/Y micing, too; class all the way B| ...)

Thank you Dad!  Sad thing is I have had to sell my bass due to financial reasons, but before I hand it over I’ve got one more piece to record, hopefully today, which just so happens to be another Irish tune (by O Carolan).  Stay tuned (hopefully)!

Robbie

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I hope that this doesn't leave you bassless..! :shok:

Unfortunately yes!  I have the option of buying it back for the same price when things improve.  Unfortunately I have been doing supply teaching for the last few months, which doesn’t pay well.  However, just got myself a “proper” teaching job for a little while, so who knows.  

1 minute ago, Brook_fan said:

...just got myself a “proper” teaching job for a little while, so who knows.  

Well done, that man..! Priorities, priorities; we all know about them, but there are stars above that shine solely because you have your bass to play. I sincerely hope you can make it happen; the world would be a better place. Good luck with it all; onward and upward...

56 minutes ago, Brook_fan said:

...I can promise you I do have other shirts.  It’s pure coincidence that I am wearing the same shirt as my recording of Star of County Down above!!!...

Yes, yes, Robbie; of course it is. 9_9

xD :P