Why become a member? ×

What's your favourite Preamp/DI?

PatrickJ

On 03/06/2020 at 09:27, sifi2112 said:

No not custom, just new version I believe ....

XLR out with separate vol/gain / ground lift 

TRS/TS out with separate vol/gain / ground lift

Phase reverse switch in case of phasing issue with two power amp 

and parallel thru OUT

and newer Thumpinator 

and input impedance selector switch

and can work off a 9v battery @200mA (nice as a backup) also 9v parallel out 

That must be a custom order or a new product that Max hasn't put on his website yet (there is a 'D2' but no 'D3' on the site).

Just received a Thumpinator this morning and it is as I expected, no pre amp or XLR out

IMG_0027.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Recently got myself a Tech21 VTDI again. I’d forgotten just how good this pedal is, and how unlike pretty much any other I’ve tried it has that “spongey” valve feel to the notes when the drive is bumped up a bit. For the classic rock that I’m doing at present it really is ideal, select an SVT style sound, Jazz bass on neck pickup only and I’m back in the 70s.

No flares or kipper ties were harmed writing this post.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I've tried loads of DI pedals since I started this thread.  Sold them all on, a mix of them not really working for me and perhaps me not really knowing what to do with them.

During lock down I wanted to do some recording so picked up a Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver from GAK when I was in Brighton.

Such as solid pedal, sounds great direct into my audio interface.  The SVT and Bassman presets are both brilliant starting points for a couple of  very usable sounds.  Looking forward to a rehearsal and trying it in front of my Markbass to give it a bit more life.

Edited by PatrickJ
  • Like 1

I used to own the BDDI V1, was my main preamp for 10+ years but I don’t really like it anymore. Sold it last year. 

For a while I also played a VTDI which I was happy with, yet I decided to part ways with it and got myself a BDDI V2, which I really like. It is WAY more musical than the V1. Balanced, cleaner lows, no harsh trebles, and the mids are there!

However, reading so many good reviews for the VTDI made me order one again. I now have both the VTDI and the BDDI V2. 

At home, on my practice amp I got to say I still prefer the BDDI V2 over the VTDI. The VTDI has less lows and more highs/high mids naturally. 

I got a band practice tomorrow where I’ll get to compare them and see which one I prefer in a band setting. 

Key question is: if I like both, is keeping both a silly thing to do? I guess they’re two different animals after all...

Edited by Ian McFly
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

I used to own the BDDI V1, was my main preamp for 10+ years but I don’t really like it anymore. Sold it last year. 

For a while I also played a VTDI which I was happy with, yet I decided to part ways with it and got myself a BDDI V2, which I really like. It is WAY more musical than the V1. Balanced, cleaner lows, no harsh trebles, and the mids are there!

However, reading so many good reviews for the VTDI made me order one again. I now have both the VTDI and the BDDI V2. 

At home, on my practice amp I got to say I still prefer the BDDI V2 over the VTDI. The VTDI has less lows and more highs/high mids naturally. 

I got a band practice tomorrow where I’ll get to compare them and see which one I prefer in a band setting. 

Key question is: if I like both, is keeping both a silly thing to do? I guess they’re two different animals after all...

I'd imagine you could get either to sound similar to each other with tweaks?  I swear by the VT (have done for years), had a bddi a couple of times and did not like in a mix.... Curious to try a V2 though

I’d say keep both, I also have the Tech21 Para Driver, yes it’s similar to the VTDI but for me it’s slightly harsher and more modern, much better for the punk that I was doing, whereas the VTDI suits the classic 70s rock better. In the mix would anyone apart from me tell, probably not but I’m def keeping both.

My EHX Black Finger, tube driven optical compressor, that acts as much as a fairly moderate compression as a tube preamp stage, then going into a Behringer BEQ700 Bass Graphic Equalizer with the 50, 400, 500 and 800 Hz, as well as the 4,5kHz, bands boosted ever so slightly, approximate just about 1 or 2dB, then going into my NUX Solid Studio IR & Poweramp Simulator, using a 3rd party Dr. Bonkers Poly Pro 1x15" + 2x8" cab IR and the EL34 tube poweramp simulator, the NUX also functioning as a DI.

Works really well for my use, really punchy, kind of slightly aggressive, tone, with a nice crisp high end presence and bite and a gutsy tight bottom end, but with a prominent hint of nice warm tube flavor and slight compression as well. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Alright, back from practice. The BDDI V2 wins the battle against the VTDI. I switched between the two throughout the band practice, and whilst the VTDI didn’t sound bad at all, there’s something with the BDDI V2 that gives my sound more body, depth and presence. 

I realised I don’t need to keep both to be fair, I’d rather use the VTDI money into a different type of effect. Plus the VTDI’s switch kinda died of me after the first practice, only responding 1 time out of 5... not ideal. I’ll send it back and ask for a refund, I only received it a week ago. 
To each their own, and the VTDI is a pretty great preamp which can surely sound good with some tweaking. But I’ve found my sound with the Bass Driver V2!

• Like 1

I’m a bit of a pre amp hoarder!.........I’ve had a few pre-amps and currently still have some; Bassix pre is a monster and drives a power amp well and is great for recording. I also have a Radial Bassbone OD, which is a great DI/pre and ideal for an A/B when using a four and five or electric and upright. I have an Aggy, which as mentioned already is great value on the used market and solid performer.  I’ve also still got an Eden World Tour pre with foot switch, which runs the ‘big rig’ (QSC 1600W power with 4 x 10 and 2 x 10 Bag End cabs).  I also have a Bass Pod Pro rack unit that has been in use for years when using IEM’s.

On 31/08/2020 at 21:18, Ian McFly said:

Alright, back from practice. The BDDI V2 wins the battle against the VTDI. I switched between the two throughout the band practice, and whilst the VTDI didn’t sound bad at all, there’s something with the BDDI V2 that gives my sound more body, depth and presence. 

I spent a lot of time going back and forth with mine, and like you i felt the BDDI was just a bit more ‘me’. As much as i love the older versions of the BDDI, for me the proper v2 is noticeably better than it seems to be on paper. 

I've loved the Radial EngineeringTonebone Bassbone (Version 1). Sold it, what i regret.

...and Just to mention, because it fits in this Thread... Thoman sells the Eden Module Terra Nova Preamp DI Pedal for 69,- Eur @the moment...

On 17/03/2018 at 15:41, Bigwan said:

Hated the B7k, but no doubt a Darkglass fan boy will be along shortly to tell me I must have been using it wrong... 

I'm relatively new to the preamp game but started with the Two notes Le bass.   i loved the tone and flexibility but found it noisy.   I recently had the chance to play the Mesa Subway + and the Darkglass B7k side by side.   You guessed it....i chose the darkglass.   just goes to show you how subjective these things are to our own personal tastes.   I found it more full, rich, and quality orientated than the other preamps i've tried.   Just works really good for me.   

Have a Valeton Dapper which is competent and also great value.

However very tempted by the new ‘Atomic Amps bassbox’. Not had a play with it but thought some dems online outstanding. Atomic have really cracked the small pedal thing with the ‘Firebox’ for guitar. They’ve spent a lot of time on the ‘Bassbox’. Perhaps ideal for OP’s needs?

12 hours ago, artisan said:

I've just bought a Darkglass Harmonic Booster & so far at home I'm really liking it.

It's a very versatile & musical sounding clean pre amp

Big test at rehearsal tonight but I'm confident it will be amazing.

OK so at rehearsal I discovered my Harmonic Booster appears to be faulty making a deep pulsing hiss which proper flaps my speakers.

It does this whether it is engaged or not.

Didn't notice it at home on mega low volume with my ringing old lug 'oles.

We checked absolutely every thing else but my HB is definitely not happy.

Bugger 🙁

Edited by artisan
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Tech21 BDDI V2  and it's great, but I find I have to keep the Presence and Treble controls rolled back a fair bit or it's a bit toppy for my taste. I using it with headphones for home recording , and it may well be that I need to add a bit of compression to my Focusrite interface to take the edge off. 

Contrary to Tech21's assertion that the BDDI  shouldn't  necessarily  be used in conjunction with a separate compressor because there is already some natural tube compression factored into the sound , in my setup when I combine the V2 with my Diamond BC1 the sound  is much more to my taste. But then again , I am a middle -aged bloke with middle-aged taste in bass tone. The BDDI , even the V2 with a midrange control, seems to  naturally favour the  more aggressive scooped and distorted  modern kind of tones that angry  kids in board shorts with tattoos and multiple piercings seem to like . That is fair enough, because the present( and probably the future) belongs to them .

Edited by Misdee