Why become a member? ×

Close String Spacing Basses - 4 string. - 16mm?

Dood

1 minute ago, therealting said:

If you want a really crazy 14mm spacing bass, you should try my 8-string Conklin in the Classifieds...

For once, unbelievably, I'm going with "Jaco only needed.." blahdee blahdee blah :D:crazy:  Just 4 strings for this plan. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, dood said:

For once, unbelievably, I'm going with "Jaco only needed.." blahdee blahdee blah :D:crazy:  Just 4 strings for this plan. 

Don't look any further, I've got what you need : 15 mm from string to string at the bridge, 9 mm at the nut, hard rock canadian maple neckthrough with Para rosewood (Dalbergia Spruceana) fretboard, bubinga wings, 2 Bartolini's Quad Coils wired in parallel and passive with volume, balance, tone.

It's a 31 positions unlined fretless 6 strings bass, so you can even do some Michael Manring with it. O.o :dash1: :biggrin:

So what's that for ?

The rarest Leduc : the MP 631 SF (MP for Masterpiece).

Do you want to see it ?

Edited by Hellzero
Dalbergia is better.

22 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Don't look any further, I've got what you need : 15 mm from string to string at the bridge, 9 mm at the nut, hard rock canadian maple neckthrough with Para rosewood (Dalbergia Spruceana) fretboard, bubinga wings, 2 Bartolini's Quad Coils wired in parallel and passive with volume, balance, tone.

It's a 31 positions unlined fretless 6 strings bass, so you can even do some Michael Manring with it. O.o :dash1: :biggrin:

So what's that for ?

The rarest Leduc : the MP 631 SF (MP for Masterpiece).

Do you want to see it ?

I'd love to see it just from the description irrespective of if I needed a bass or not ha ha!!!!! :) 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Vinny said:

Dare one ask what use you would possibly have for such an oddity?

He he he!!

No problem! Happy to answer that one! All of my 'main' instruments (5, 6 and 7 strings) are around 16mm spacing. It seems logical that having been so used to the spacing on those, I try a 4 string in the same configuration. For fast pick work, it's a definite benefit - (you only have to ask guitarists to confirm that lol). I'm intrigued and at some point I'll test the theory and report back. Also, looking at a longer scale, say 36", very low tunings will deliver a better tone. 

As for oddity.. he he, I think I'll take that. That pretty much sums up my playing and my gear at times!

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 17:39, dood said:

He he he!!

No problem! Happy to answer that one! All of my 'main' instruments (5, 6 and 7 strings) are around 16mm spacing. It seems logical that having been so used to the spacing on those, I try a 4 string in the same configuration. For fast pick work, it's a definite benefit - (you only have to ask guitarists to confirm that lol). I'm intrigued and at some point I'll test the theory and report back. Also, looking at a longer scale, say 36", very low tunings will deliver a better tone. 

As for oddity.. he he, I think I'll take that. That pretty much sums up my playing and my gear at times!

'Fast pick work' is exactly why I prefer nothing greater than 17mm spacing.

Got this in a recent trade, 14 mm strings spacing at bridge, 8 mm strings spacing at nut, 6 strings and 32 3/9 inches scale !

Status Electro 6, just like the one Jonas Hellborg used to play.

IMG_20180327_201053.thumb.jpg.ce9e49fb5a182b7ff79b39ce89bb6973.jpgIMG_20180327_201140.thumb.jpg.8ce623128f965f71021921947787d407.jpg

Edited by Hellzero
Correct imperial scale
  • Like 1

On 16/03/2018 at 15:58, fleabag said:

I have  the schaller 2000 on a bass of mine, becuase the string spacing on the Schaller 232 bassbucker is 15.6mm

:)

I've converted a couple of my 4 strings (also had one built) with the Schaller 2000, for similar reasons but not drop tuning. Excellent bridge.

Some of the Ibanez BTB four strings are 35" scale, so great for unflabby drop tuning. 

• Thanks 1

Tomorrow, I'll be picking up my Status Energy 5 string from my luthier. I bought it as it weighed 8lbs but ended up not using it due to string spacing. Just had a set of the individual bridge pieces fitted. Placed in contact with each other, gives me 16mm spacing.

Cheaper than buying another bass.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, leschirons said:

Tomorrow, I'll be picking up my Status Energy 5 string from my luthier. I bought it as it weighed 8lbs but ended up not using it due to string spacing. Just had a set of the individual bridge pieces fitted. Placed in contact with each other, gives me 16mm spacing.

Cheaper than buying another bass.

Before Shuker, I nearly bought a Status S2 second hand that had a 16mm spacing. I always fancied a Status headless. 

On 16/03/2018 at 15:55, dood said:

Excellent! 15mm ha! That's insane... but also very exciting. I used to own a Gerald Veasley signature bass that had a 14mm spacing over 6 strings. I miss that bass. This thread has got the cogs whirring. Thank you Basschat, this is either going to end up being the cost of a bridge.. or.. a whole lot more!

The GV36 has shown me another thing that I didn't know, not only is the spacing at the bridge end important, so is the spacing on the nut end. The GV36 is wider than I would like there.

On 16/03/2018 at 15:58, fleabag said:

I have  the schaller 2000 on a bass of mine, becuase the string spacing on the Schaller 232 bassbucker is 15.6mm

:)

2 hours ago, hubrad said:

I've converted a couple of my 4 strings (also had one built) with the Schaller 2000, for similar reasons but not drop tuning. Excellent bridge.

Some of the Ibanez BTB four strings are 35" scale, so great for unflabby drop tuning. 

Is there something like a Schaller 2000 but for a 5 string? I couldn't find one.

I decided to build a bass, or give it a try as I wanted something that didn't seem to exist. So was wondering what to do with the bridge. I figured monorails would be the obvious choice so I could get it down to 15 or 16mm, but a bridge that was adjustable would be good too

Yup, there's a 5 and a 6 string version of the 2000. I have a 5, on a used Overwater to bring the spacing in a bit. Awesome bass!

Schaller also do a 5 string version of their usual roller saddle bridge,  but you can't get the spacing quite so tight. I think the details are on their site.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hubrad said:

Yup, there's a 5 and a 6 string version of the 2000. I have a 5, on a used Overwater to bring the spacing in a bit. Awesome bass!

Excellent - I think one of those is probably going to be at the end of the new bass then, goes from 15 to 20, plenty of room to experiment to what actually is the best size..

JUst rattled off a couple of pics of that bridge on my bass.

To change the spacing, simply get an allen key and undo those four bolts at the rear of the bridge.

Pic 1 shows its widest spacing, and pic 2 shows its closest spacing

schaller1.jpg

schaller2.jpg

• Thanks 2

The bridge is beautiful in the flesh, and that bass finish is fabric that has been lacquer sealed

The brown ring ( matron ) round the strap button is a piece of felt so the base of the button doesnt marr the finish

:)  No fags in sight