Why become a member? ×

Close String Spacing Basses - 4 string. - 16mm?

Dood

Just running an idea by myself at the moment and in case I've missed any, do the readership know of any (outside of going custom) stock basses that have a really close 4 string bridge spacing. 16mm, 16.5mm etc? 

Here are a few:

- Squier Bronco - 30" scale with 17mm spacing

- Hofner Club or Violin - 30" scale with 14.5mm spacing

- Danelectro Longhorn - 30" scale with 16mm spacing

- Status Mark King Artist headless - 32" scale with 16.5mm spacing

- Overwater Scott Devine J series - 33" scale with 16.5mm spacing

- Ric 4003 - 34" scale with 17mm spacing

Edited by ikay
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much so far.  I'll add an additional fly in the ointment as the tuning will be down to A (below a 5 string B) so I guess "long scale"/+ will be the order of the day.

25 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

I know Hipshot do an A style bridge with 16.5mm, so you could mod any 4 string really, as long as pups do not cause issues. And I believe some short scale basses (Hagstrom e.g.) have 17mm.

This could well be an option to look in to as well.

1 minute ago, Happy Jack said:

Reckon you can cross Hofner off your list then ...

:D

It'd be interesting to hear one tuned all the way down. Maybe that Davie05061023 on the YouChoob could do a video.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, dood said:

Thank you so much so far.  I'll add an additional fly in the ointment as the tuning will be down to A (below a 5 string B) so I guess "long scale"/+ will be the order of the day.

Mod an Ibby SRFF800, a little additional routing and you can squeeze the single bridge elements as close together as you’d like.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HazBeen said:

Mod an Ibby SRFF800, a little additional routing and you can squeeze the single bridge elements as close together as you’d like.

I wish I had the budget for a Dingwall Combustion 4, but the Ibby makes a strong argument when there's no funds at all to begin with ha ha!!!

1 minute ago, dood said:

I wish I had the budget for a Dingwall Combustion 4, but the Ibby makes a strong argument when there's no funds at all to begin with ha ha!!!

For the money you can’t do much better, not Dingwal quality but very very good for the money.

9 hours ago, therealting said:

D-bird Standard, surely 😉

Yes absolutely love it to bits, but I've always struggled with the body shape when sitting down fo similar instruments. I have only had the opportunity to pour over the original D-Bird prototype which was an immense instrument. Maybe I need to get one over for a review! 

Dan

2 hours ago, dood said:

Yes absolutely love it to bits, but I've always struggled with the body shape when sitting down fo similar instruments. I have only had the opportunity to pour over the original D-Bird prototype which was an immense instrument. Maybe I need to get one over for a review! 

Dan

I also struggle with the original Thunderbird shape. The D-bird balances very nicely, Sheldon has given strap placement and headstock design a lot of careful thought and experimentation. They sound pretty immense tuned down in the 3-pickup configuration.

edit: I just realised you said sitting down. I haven’t tried it seated, admittedly. 

Edited by therealting

2 hours ago, therealting said:

I also struggle with the original Thunderbird shape. The D-bird balances very nicely, Sheldon has given strap placement and headstock design a lot of careful thought and experimentation. They sound pretty immense tuned down in the 3-pickup configuration.

edit: I just realised you said sitting down. I haven’t tried it seated, admittedly. 

Agreed! Tone, brilliant; Weight, brilliant; Balance sat down, brilliant.

It's just my forearm and elbow that gets in the way of the body 'wing'!

AS mentioned already, i know early Aria SB's  were , i think,  16.5mm

I owned a 600 set neck fretless, and pretty sure that was the spacing.

The other alternative is to fit A SCHALLER  2000 bass bridge. String spacing adjustment on these is nuts  ... 15.2 to 21.7mm

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fleabag said:

AS mentioned already, i know early Aria SB's  were , i think,  16.5mm

I owned a 600 set neck fretless, and pretty sure that was the spacing.

The other alternative is to fit A SCHALLER  2000 bass bridge. String spacing adjustment on these is nuts  ... 15.2 to 21.7mm

Excellent! 15mm ha! That's insane... but also very exciting. I used to own a Gerald Veasley signature bass that had a 14mm spacing over 6 strings. I miss that bass. This thread has got the cogs whirring. Thank you Basschat, this is either going to end up being the cost of a bridge.. or.. a whole lot more!

• Like 1