Why become a member? ×

GAS - Yes, But Why..?

discreet

6 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

...one of the reasons that we are so susceptible to such marketing and branding is because it appeals to the spiritual gene so to speak...

That could be true. I often justify purchases on the grounds that my bass playing is heavenly. ^_^

...and afterwards find out it isn't. But I knew that anyway! Self-delusion is powerful.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Marc S said:

Why? Because when I've found my perfect bass, I want one in Fiesta Red too....
And one with a maple board, as well as the one with Rosewood....
and..... ;)

Well you gotta have a Jazz, even if you don't like 'em. Everyone has a Jazz. And you have to have a bass with rounds, and one with flats. And an active to go with your passive... and upgrade the preamp. And...

• Haha 1

I've got my perfect rig for my preferred sound/main projects: Spector US/Euro basses thru old GK800RB and a Genz Neo212T

....so I'm not searching for that 'elusive tone' so much.

For me now it's about collecting, enjoying owning and playing other basses that I've always fancied..... or having ones that are more suitable for other gigging situations e.g. old Fender P with flats

Edited by cetera
  • Like 2

I've got the one bass I need, I've always had it (I've got two others for backup and fretless - and an EUB)

And now I have the one amp I need (also a backup or two hanging about)

Sometimes something breaks so I replace it.

I try to give myself a long enough cooling off period to realise I don't need a new shiny thing when GAS hits.

It doesn't always work.

:)

My main gigging rig all came in at less than £200, it owes me nothing and has more than paid for all the other tat I've bought realising it's all I need.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, discreet said:

Yes, all good if it does, but it's not always the case. The search for happiness can sometimes lead to happiness disappearing over the horizon... :)

If it doesn't bring a smile to your face - don't do it. Simples!

Be human and learn from your mistakes :) 

I like themes in my collecting, I used to have four fake Fenders (and one real) but that is now three with one more for sale. I have a thing for natural wood finishes, and am liking the idea of companions for the ones I really like! 

My current count stands at 18, with one for sale and at least one more going up for sale this weekend but I really struggle to let any go..

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

If it doesn't bring a smile to your face - don't do it. Simples!

Not simples really, because you don't necessarily know if a smile is forthcoming. You may think a smile is definitely on the cards, but a few weeks down the road, and BAM! ...Herpes. :i-m_so_happy:

I don't think GAS is limited to bass players.  I had a friend who was keen on golf and photography.  He changed golf clubs and cameras more often than his socks - just looking for the perfect set of clubs or camera.  We've all seen the people who sleep out overnight to buy the latest iPhone, which turns out to be not much different from the one they bought six months ago!

I love cycling and read plenty of cycling magazines.  I could spend thousands on the latest bikes but then I pull my modest road bike out of the shed and within a mile or so realize that that my alloy framed Bianchi just suits me fine.  I don't have GAS for another bass guitar.  The one I have (Chowny SWB-1) is ideal for what I shall be using it for - playing in church for those who asked "who goes to church"!  I'm still getting to know it but I like what I have.

Sometimes I think we need to spend time with the gear we have and appreciate it.  I made the GAS mistake a few years ago when I was playing the chromatic harmonica.  I now have drawers full of the things in my quest to find the one.

I enjoy reading reviews on bass guitars and bicycles and can appreciate the high end of the market - "Cyclist" magazine has just featured a bike costing £22,650!  I'll stick with what I have and try to get the most out of it. Having seen what Scott Whitley can do with the SWB-1 it should be more than enough for me to handle!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LeftyP said:

Sometimes I think we need to spend time with the gear we have and appreciate it. 

Absolutely. And not transfer perceived 'faults' with our sound to our gear and realise our 'problems' could well be 'solved' by means other than by buying stuff.

Years of cow poop marketing has everyone unconsciously brain washed.
It feeds on insecurity, and says your life will be better if you get this, and the completeness you search for will be found with your next purchase. 
Sadly the truth is, people can't see beyond what they believe, and beyond their choosen instrument into the realms of music/creavtivity.  They will never blame themselves for this, so they either blame the drummer :-) or their gear, (purchase time) then you play the same old stinky poo you always have, but with a new found persepective,  this then slowly wears off and you find yourself blaming your gear again because you refuse to see the truth, (purchase time)..  ad infinitum.
The truth is, the thing you search for comes from within, and no amount of gear will change a damn thing.  Your looking in the wrong places! 
I had an uncle who played a tea chest/broom handle in a skiffle group years ago, and he had more musicality than folk I've seen with £10k's worth of Fodera!    
I'm sure they'll be many who disagree because they've made their belief's sacrosanct, and the brain washing is too strong/complete.  much like the folk who think they need compression. :-/  hahaha

20 minutes ago, Tobe said:

Years of cow poop marketing has everyone unconsciously brain washed.
It feeds on insecurity, and says your life will be better if you get this, and the completeness you search for will be found with your next purchase. 
Sadly the truth is, people can't see beyond what they believe, and beyond their choosen instrument into the realms of music/creavtivity.  They will never blame themselves for this, so they either blame the drummer :-) or their gear, (purchase time) then you play the same old stinky poo you always have, but with a new found persepective,  this then slowly wears off and you find yourself blaming your gear again because you refuse to see the truth, (purchase time)..  ad infinitum.
The truth is, the thing you search for comes from within, and no amount of gear will change a damn thing.  Your looking in the wrong places! 
I had an uncle who played a tea chest/broom handle in a skiffle group years ago, and he had more musicality than folk I've seen with £10k's worth of Fodera!    
I'm sure they'll be many who disagree because they've made their belief's sacrosanct, and the brain washing is too strong/complete.  much like the folk who think they need compression. :-/  hahaha

Great post, but in my experience it often really is the drummer's fault. :biggrin:

• Haha 3

It's about changing the way we feel. Like yearning for the pleasure our first love bought us, trying to recreate our first trip or searching for the perfect bet. My primary addiction is booze, which I'm in recovery from, but it also manifests itself in food, music gear and other areas. I have five Fender jazzes ffs which is about a quarter of the collection. I could get by with three basses easily. The shiny new toy will make us happy, make us play better, yadee yadee ya . . . Until we get it. Then we get bored and start again. I'm trying to fill the hole in my soul through 12 step stuff and things like yoga and meditation but I still managed to fit yet another pair of PA speakers into the house a couple of weeks ago. Work in progress lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, King Tut said:

It's about changing the way we feel. Like yearning for the pleasure our first love bought us, trying to recreate our first trip or searching for the perfect bet. My primary addiction is booze, which I'm in recovery from, but it also manifests itself in food, music gear and other areas. I have five Fender jazzes ffs which is about a quarter of the collection. I could get by with three basses easily. The shiny new toy will make us happy, make us play better, yadee yadee ya . . . Until we get it. Then we get bored and start again. I'm trying to fill the hole in my soul through 12 step stuff and things like yoga and meditation but I still managed to fit yet another pair of PA speakers into the house a couple of weeks ago. Work in progress lol.

Love your honesty (which is humbling) and that alone makes you deserve every success. Hope the PA speakers were good 'uns too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Whoops.  I should have patronised that remark with a smilie/emoji/nifty acronym*.  Sorry, I don't do those.

*Delete according to preference

No worries :drinks:  When you quoted half a sentence out context, I thought you was a member of the shadow cabinet :biggrin: