Why become a member? ×

TC Electronics Spectradrive.

dave_bass5

4 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I kinda expected it to be around this price to be honest. It’s still good value when you consider pricing up an alternative:

An Ampeg SCR-DI (preamp, drive and headphone amp) costs between £199-215ish new and a spectracomp goes for anywhere between £85-105 new. Total cost £284-320.

An EXH Battalion (£136 new) does much of what the Spectradrive does but you’d have to add a headphone amp to match it fully. A Phil Jones BigHead is an extra £175. Total cost £311. Although I appreciate the BigHead is also an audio interface and has an internal battery which goes above and beyond the feature set of the Spectradrive, so it’s not a completely apples to apples comparison.

Even a Palmer Pocket Amp Bass, costing around £140 would still need a spectracomp added to it, bumping the price up to anywhere between £225-245.

For the feature set offered and the form factor it’s presented in, there simply isn’t a direct alternative to this - especially for £209!

53 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I kinda expected it to be around this price to be honest. It’s still good value when you consider pricing up an alternative:

An Ampeg SCR-DI (preamp, drive and headphone amp) costs between £199-215ish new and a spectracomp goes for anywhere between £85-105 new. Total cost £284-320.

An EXH Battalion (£136 new) does much of what the Spectradrive does but you’d have to add a headphone amp to match it fully. A Phil Jones BigHead is an extra £175. Total cost £311. Although I appreciate the BigHead is also an audio interface and has an internal battery which goes above and beyond the feature set of the Spectradrive, so it’s not a completely apples to apples comparison.

Even a Palmer Pocket Amp Bass, costing around £140 would still need a spectracomp added to it, bumping the price up to anywhere between £225-245.

For the feature set offered and the form factor it’s presented in, there simply isn’t a direct alternative to this - especially for £209!

I agree. if you are after just a basic feature set then this thing is definitely a contender Ive looked at other things like the PLEX, and although it offers far more, i dont think its quite as useful for live use, or more its overkill

As its listed at $199 i guess its not really unexpected. Its still cheaper than a BDDI and seems to offer a bit more.

Ive still got my BDDI and Pork Loin to sell so i can easily afford it.

9 hours ago, Daz39 said:

I might just wait 3 months for the first 'Used but not quite what I'm after/I've changed my board and don't need this now,' threads ;)

9 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

You can have first refusal lol.

Haha - but will you actually buy one when they do appear? Looking forward to seeing how many BC'ers do take the plunge; I've happily bought Dave's cast offs previously (and have no hesitation in recommending him btw!) but you won't need to compete with me for this one :D

11 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Haha - but will you actually buy one when they do appear? Looking forward to seeing how many BC'ers do take the plunge; I've happily bought Dave's cast offs previously (and have no hesitation in recommending him btw!) but you won't need to compete with me for this one :D

Thanks for the PR lol. 

Yes I will get one. To me this pedal does a few things I want, but not too many (like the B3n) that makes me feel I’m undersuing it.  It’s not going to be a cure to any problem, but it will definitely  have a use. I guess ill wait for a video review or two, just to make sure there isn’t a hidden issue, but on paper its going to be ideal. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Clean sound is nice. But alas the drive sounds like farty nonsense to me. I moved on my RH750 for that reason.

Interesting to hear. That would be the nail in the coffin for this bit of kit from my perspective - oh, other than already having a very decent drive (SA AS) a very decent comp (Cali 76) and a very decent headphone amp for home use (Zoom B3n) :D

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting to hear. That would be the nail in the coffin for this bit of kit from my perspective - oh, other than already having a very decent drive (SA AS) a very decent comp (Cali 76) and a very decent headphone amp for home use (Zoom B3n) :D

Hows the Cali going?

48 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Hows the Cali going?

It was very kind of you to get bored with it and move it on to me.  Unfortunately I've been banned by the mods (well one in particular) from discussing anything to do with compression and it's efficacy ever again...xD Let's just say that it's sitting snugly on my board and is not in any current danger of being booted off (tbf that's also true of ALL my pedals just this minute!).

One plus of the Cali (and my AS) is it's saving me money by taking away any temptation to get a TC Spectradrive, so you'll need to find someone else to benefit from your largess in 3 months time when you decide to move that on :D

It's in a queue

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It was very kind of you to get bored with it and move it on to me.  Unfortunately I've been banned by the mods (well one in particular) from discussing anything to do with compression and it's efficacy ever again...xD Let's just say that it's sitting snugly on my board and is not in any current danger of being booted off (tbf that's also true of ALL my pedals just this minute!).  played any time soon :P

Fixed it for you Al ;)

Have you been banned form comp chat? You should start a new compressor related forum with a .comp web address:)

Edited by krispn
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It was very kind of you to get bored with it and move it on to me.  Unfortunately I've been banned by the mods (well one in particular) from discussing anything to do with compression and it's efficacy ever again...xD Let's just say that it's sitting snugly on my board and is not in any current danger of being booted off (tbf that's also true of ALL my pedals just this minute!).

So i guess by the time i sell my Spectradrive you will be ready for it lol.

Glad its working out for you though. I find compressors very boring, but i guess that's the idea. Set and forget and no one will notice...(opp's, wrong thread :-)

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Set and forget and no one will notice...(opp's, wrong thread :-)

Here you go boys - these are the threads you should be posting on :D

49 minutes ago, LegateNaarifin said:

Here's waiting for a www.compchat.co.uk sometime soon xD

Edited by Al Krow

6 hours ago, krispn said:

It's in a queue

5 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I find compressors very boring

Both statements are correct.

Given how boring comps are (...now exactly what ratio should I use live?) it's definitely in the queue behind getting to grips with various other pedals, a fretless, a 5 string (oh yes a EUB) and about 20 new covers songs to get to function band standard by the start of June....I'll report back in Dec :D

Edited by Al Krow

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Curiously, Gear4Music are showing this as in stock before anyone else 🤔🧐

I saw that as well, but on closer instpection its actualy in stock at TC’s warehouse in Sweden that they are showing. I had thought about risking it but will wait until its in stock in the UK.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1