Why become a member? ×

Top Tips and DIY Hacks

stewblack

On 15/03/2018 at 15:19, wateroftyne said:

It's not really tidy though, is it?

You were saying?

CableTidy.png.7a00832cc49b8880c0883448f219a102.png

You can't see what's under all that crap but it used to be the neighbour's wife's clothes rail.  It'd be ideal if it only had cables on it.

Edited by SpondonBassed

17 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

CableTidy.png.7a00832cc49b8880c0883448f219a102.png

You can't see what's under all that crap but it used to be the neighbour's wife's clothes rail.  It'd be ideal if it only had cables on it.

What's the neighbour's wife's clothes rail doing in your house? Asking for a friend.

Edited by discreet
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, discreet said:

What's the neighbour's wife's clothes rail doing in your house? Asking for a friend.

Hahahahaha!

I spotted it on their drive where they'd left it for the scrap wagon.  Being a tight git I had no embarrassment about taking it for myself after I checked it was okay with them.

Bazz's tip #1: to clean a filthy fretboard, an electric toothbrush with just warm water does the job perfectly.

Bazz"s tip #2: to clean dust around the pickups and bridge with the strings still on, use a shaving brush :)

I bought two door hanging clothes hangers three days ago for the same purpose as the OP

Mine are stainless steel, with 5 pegs, perfect for cables and headphones

Edited by bazzbass
  • Like 2

If some screws aren’t fully tightening, pick guard screws for instance, split a matchstick down it’s length to less than the diameter of the hole, cut it to slightly less than the depth of the hole, and put it in the screw hole with a bit of wood glue. Lovely. 

• Like 1

Just now, ianrendall said:

If some screws aren’t fully tightening, pick guard screws for instance, split a matchstick down it’s length to less than the diameter of the hole, cut it to slightly less than the depth of the hole, and put it in the screw hole with a bit of wood glue. Lovely. 

I did this recently with a strap button. Used a cocktail stick the pointy end made insertion simple! Great hack thank you.

8 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

If some screws aren’t fully tightening there are stripped screw threads in the holes for, pick guard screws for instance, split a matchstick down it’s length to less than the diameter of the hole, cut it to slightly less than the depth of the hole, and put it in the screw hole with a bit of wood glue. Lovely. 

Slight amendment for clarity.  Good tip.

Caution: It's not as good as getting a proper plug repair done if it is a vintage instrument and you want to get max return when moving it on.

You're in the middle of a gig, the crowd are roaring for more and your bass goes out of tune. You kick in your pedal tuner and ... nothing! It's borked.

What to do?

Simply ask the venue owner if you can use his landline phone. Pick the receiver up, crook it to your ear and tune to the dial tone - a combination of 440hz (A) and 350hz (near as dammit F). Because it's an interval either (or both) notes will do.

And because you haven't dialled anyone this hack is totally free!

Hey! Presto! You're back onstage and ripping the place up with your blazing licks.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I put small yellow cable ties around lead ends and mike stands etc that could be ‘confused’ by other band members who think the rock wire cables could be their’s and the Aldi special ones could be mine at the end of a gig.

Edited by T-Bay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

I use plastic cable drums from my local hardware shop for speaker leads (all of mine are 10m, so no confusion)-

the drums were originally full of chain, which they sell pretty fast - & I get 'em free (I put something in the charity box).

:)

Nice one!

30 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

I put small yellow cable ties around lead ends and mike stands etc that could be ‘confused’ by other band members who think the rock wire cables could be their’s and the Aldi special ones could be mine at the end of a gig.

Genius.

11541944_720046248101232_401172112209348

Ampstack shared their album.

Knob tip: If you are one of those people that always runs same settings on your amp, take the knobs off and put them all on straight up or in highest position when on your favoured settings, then it is easy to reset if you have to lend an amp at a gig or whatever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:
Knob tip: If you are one of those people that always runs same settings on your amp, take the knobs off and put them all on straight up or in highest position when on your favoured settings, then it is easy to reset if you have to lend an amp at a gig or whatever.

Great idea. It also really confuses people when they borrow your amp - they sound terrible! Bonus.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:
11541944_720046248101232_401172112209348

Ampstack shared th phoneeir album.

or, if your knobs are ones with a flat side to them, just take a photo of them with your phone (just thought of that)

if your PA speaker cables are identical and you daisy chain them put some tape round the ends of one of them to stop you mixing up the PA speakers and the monitors, otherwise you spend a lot of time wondering why the mixer adjustments are doing odd things :facepalm:

Never Miss Another Gig!

5aad6ae792cfc_bassbike.jpg.9f42b622b9f93803469a4304700dc883.jpg

Oh no! The car won't start! And there you were, just about to set off for a prestigious unpaid 'exposure' gig. What a disaster!

Not if you're the proud owner of the Del Var Industries Emergency Bass Bike Kit! Simply attach the quality engineered front and rear wheel assemblies to your bass* with the bolts provided and you'll be pedaling off to fame and fortune!

Impress your friends and baffle your enemies with the Del Var Industries Emergency Bass Bike Kit. 

Only £199.99 (exc VAT and Shipping) allow 28 months for delivery

* May involve drilling and / or  modification. Not recommended for use with vintage basses.  Goldbrick Ltd (trading as Del Var Industries) accepts no liability for any injuries sustained during the use of this product or any loss consequent upon failing to acquire a record deal. E&OE. 

• Haha 3

On 3/16/2018 at 13:41, machinehead said:

OK, I'll mention the one that most folks know already, just in case someone doesn't - the rubber seal from Grolsch beer bottles make great strap-locks.  I use them on all my basses.

I see Fender are selling copies now at, if I remember correctly, £2.00 each!!

Frank.

The Grolsch ones are actually more durable! I bought the Fender versions to make up an Amazon order a year or two back and the stuff they make them with goes hard and brittle after a while. My Grolsch ones are still lovely and bendy, even though I'm not any more. 

3 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

I usually colour code my low-end leads with yellow tape at each end - if ain't got tape, it ain't bass............

:)

Most of my leads are really lurid colours, so a. no one wants to nick 'em and b. they're easy to see when you're packing down.