Why become a member? ×

Top Tips and DIY Hacks

stewblack

Let's share our weird and wonderful ideas for making life that little bit easier in the world of bass. Even if they appear long winded and silly and actually use more effort than they save.

I'll start:

One of those over the door clothes hanger thingies available from all B&M, Poundland type outlets makes a great cable tidy.

5aaa68a4a4860_CableTidy.thumb.jpg.833901bbd6160b5c306550fd2129038f.jpg

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

That's be good for all the headphones and trailing cables in my little quiet practice corner. 

Everyday genius there Stewblack. Take a bow sir.

It's nice to be conversing with a person of taste and exceptional insight. Furthermore with a person who appreciates the great ideas which have shaped our times. Like the electric light bulb, penicillin and my over the door cable tidy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Hey that's great. Why don't we expand this into a top tips and hacks thread for folk who enjoy finding curious solutions to bass related problems?

Edited title and OP to reflect this. Yet another astounding idea. I'd better be careful my foot doesn't fall off.

Edited by stewblack

• stewblack changed the title to Top Tips and DIY Hacks

The stitching on my leather strap, the only strap I have ever owned in my 20+ years of playing, was coming apart, so fixed with some nuts, bolts and washers. 

The bottom of my gig bag, the only gig bag I have ever owned in my 20+ years of playing, was fraying, so fixed with a small piece of wood and some strong glue  

7725A9EA-1C47-4ADB-A78C-763E972246CD.jpeg

B23390BD-96CF-4917-A3F4-E8B400FDEDF2.jpeg

195DB505-26C0-44CB-8E88-9FEE33302A1B.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

The stitching on my leather strap, the only strap I have ever owned in my 20+ years of playing, was coming apart, so fixed with some nuts, bolts and washers. 

The bottom of my gig bag, the only gig bag I have ever owned in my 20+ years of playing, was fraying, so fixed with a small piece of wood and some strong glue  

7725A9EA-1C47-4ADB-A78C-763E972246CD.jpeg

B23390BD-96CF-4917-A3F4-E8B400FDEDF2.jpeg

195DB505-26C0-44CB-8E88-9FEE33302A1B.jpeg

Genius! Just what I'm looking for.

OK, I'll mention the one that most folks know already, just in case someone doesn't - the rubber seal from Grolsch beer bottles make great strap-locks.  I use them on all my basses.

I see Fender are selling copies now at, if I remember correctly, £2.00 each!!

Frank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have put Velcro cable fasteners on my guitar leads. The other day instead of feeding the guitar lead through the gap between the guitar and strap I actually attached the velcro directly to the strap. It hangs more freely and does not rub on the finish of the guitar.

If you use one at the amp end and have a carpet covered cab then the Velcro will 'stick' to the cab and can help prevent inadvertantly pulling the lead out (especially for those of us who are more active on stage:D).

Edited by naxos10
Spelling

54 minutes ago, naxos10 said:

I have put velcro fasteners on my guitar leads. This other day instead of feeding the guitar lead through the gap between the guitar and strap I actually attached the velcro directly to the strap. It hangs more freely and does not rub on the finish of the guitar.

If you use one at the amp end and have a carpet covered cab then the Velcro will 'stick' to the cab and can help prevent inadnertantlt pulling the lead (especially for those of us who are more active on stage:D).

Genius genius genius. We're on a roll folks!

1 hour ago, machinehead said:

OK, I'll mention the one that most folks know already, just in case someone doesn't - the rubber seal from Grolsch beer bottles make great strap-locks.  I use them on all my basses.

Frank.

I use these strap locks that come with free beer!

1 hour ago, machinehead said:

Frank.

Packs of 10 on AliExpress for about £1, different colours too.

• Like 2