Why become a member? ×

Anyone successfully using a Mackie DLM series rig?

itsmedunc

Just wondering if the tops and subs could handle a 5 piece band. Drums, guitar, bass mic'd etc. Audience up to 200 max. Also, for monitoring purposes, any good?

Was hoping we could keep on topic and just discuss the Mackies but I'm kidding myself. It's Basschat! :D

19 minutes ago, mikel said:

Staying with Mackie. Our local rehearsal studio installed Mackie Thump speakers for PA and I am not impressed. The older/more expensive Mackie setups  sounded good but the Thump's are not up to much IMO.

Thanks for the input. I've not been impressed with what I've read about Mackie Thump but can't actually remember if I've heard them? Consensus says that they are not a very good range, so I'd avoid them. The DLM series however seem to get good reviews (good sound, light, loud and tiny) but an online review can be taken with a pinch of salt I suppose.

Perhaps you would have better luck Stateside. Don’t think the DLM mackie stuff has had wide adoption in UK and Europe. From what I saw/heard when living in USA, there are far better options - QSC, Yamaha, RCF etc. Size wise it looks tempting but....

The mackie Thump is aimed very specifically at DJs so it's no wonder they're not much use as a PA.  On the other hand, we have their SRM 450s and they are perfect for pub gigs or smaller venues.  Lightweight and full coverage.  

I don't use mackie but we did a wedding fayre in Jan where there were three bands on. All in different parts of the venue. One band (4 piece - drum, bass gtr and keys with all four members singing) had the dlm 12 inch subs and tops (about £3200 worth) of kit. They were a very talented outfit but I found their sound very harsh. That has been something I've always found with mackie stuff. 

We were just using two RCF745s with no subs (bass, drums, gtr and vox) and general consensus was we sounded bigger and fuller. That said there's a lot of other variables that could have been at play. 

Personally I've never really been a mackie fan tho so there may be some bias.