Why become a member? ×

Transcibe download

Kevin Dean

I use it all the time. It's very useful and, IMO, a bit better thought through than similar offerings. The ability to speed up, slow down, change tuning, easily identify and loop over sections, fiddle with the EQ etc. etc. is incredibly useful. A tad old fashioned looking if that bothers you. 

In fact, I've bought it twice. Both the Linux and Mac versions (licenses are not transferrable). 

my tutor @dodge_bassuses this to help slow down songs, it can also pitch shift and isolate sections easily to make short loops for getting parts nailed down. 

i have been using a cheap app on my tablet called amazing slow downer which has most of the functionality of transcribe (which isn't available on android)

recently i downloaded another similar program to my pc but i can't remember the name and i'm not at home at the moment. i tried transcribe but i'm using Linux and i couldn't get it to run under wine.

i thought that Transcribe was only free for 30 days then you had to buy a licence? 

matt 

Just now, PaulWarning said:

doesn't Audacity do the same thing?

Not interactively. You can process a whole song but that's not much use if you just want to have a look at "that fiddly bit in the middle 8".

I suppose it depends who you are. If you have to get the bassline for half a dozen covers for a gig tomorrow night then it's a really useful tool.

2 minutes ago, Matt P said:

. i tried transcribe but i'm using Linux and i couldn't get it to run under wine.

i thought that Transcribe was only free for 30 days then you had to buy a licence? 

There's definitely a Linux version. No need to run it under Wine. I use it all the time. Linux is now quite a reasonable proposition for musicy stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@thepurpleblob thanks! i'm not sure how i managed to miss the Linux version when i was sorting this at the weekend. i'm slowly getting to grips with linux as an os, still some teething problems with getting my Scarlett 2i4 to play happily with reaper but i think it's all user issues as i've been blindly trying stuff rather than following tutorials and help pages properly.

i'm going to persevere with the alternative program for the moment as it hasn't yet asked for money and i'm super skint at the moment!

Matt

33 minutes ago, thepurpleblob said:

Not interactively. You can process a whole song but that's not much use if you just want to have a look at "that fiddly bit in the middle 8".

I suppose it depends who you are. If you have to get the bassline for half a dozen covers for a gig tomorrow night then it's a really useful tool.

you can just select the bit you want press shift then play and it'll keep playing in that loop

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt P said:

my tutor @dodge_bassuses this to help slow down songs, it can also pitch shift and isolate sections easily to make short loops for getting parts nailed down. 

i have been using a cheap app on my tablet called amazing slow downer which has most of the functionality of transcribe (which isn't available on android)

recently i downloaded another similar program to my pc but i can't remember the name and i'm not at home at the moment. i tried transcribe but i'm using Linux and i couldn't get it to run under wine.

matt 

Transcribe is only about 30dollars and I use it pretty much every day for teaching and for transcription. It’s such a powerful tool and I’ve not personally found anything else that approaches the quality of it. Highly recommend getting hold of it and probably best to buy if you can as it supports small company and a great product.... it would be a shame if it went out of business!  I use a Mac desktop and a Mac laptop so I’m not sure how is with other platforms in terms of compatibility. 

3 hours ago, thepurpleblob said:

I use it all the time. It's very useful and, IMO, a bit better thought through than similar offerings. The ability to speed up, slow down, change tuning, easily identify and loop over sections, fiddle with the EQ etc. etc. is incredibly useful. A tad old fashioned looking if that bothers you. 

In fact, I've bought it twice. Both the Linux and Mac versions (licenses are not transferrable). 

I think the ability to mess with the EQ and also change octave’s is a fantastic tool for being able to pull out bass from the mix. Especially when it’s hidden in a dense mix with lots of other things going on. The stereo pan is also really useful when using backing tracks with bass pan to one side and I’ve also found that a lot of the older Motown and similar recordings have-bass panned to one side(!). The ability to effectively change key as well is great when working with singers who do things in different keys!

3 hours ago, ambient said:

It’s free I used to use it a lot. It’s excellent enabling you to slow down a piece, yet keep its original pitch. You can focus on a section and loop it too.

It’s about $30 I think to buy and well worth it ! 

Highly recommend 'Transcribe!' - I use it all the time, especially for teaching. Worth paying the small amount. I bought it years ago and when I've moved to new computers the owner has sent me a new activation code. Really useful with great algorithms for slowing audio down. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dodge_bass said:

It’s about $30 I think to buy and well worth it ! 

currently $39 which works out about £28, i need all my spare pennies at the moment to pay for a shiny new interface though! :biggrin:

• Haha 1

I found Transcribe rather clunky and frustrating. Like Audacity, REAPER can do everything transcribe can. Reaper also has the benefits of being a full spec recording application too (DAW). So I would wholeheartedly recommend getting that. 

Dead easy to use!

https://www.reaper.fm

• Like 1