Why become a member? ×

Greta Van Fleet

Thunderpaws

So, I’ve been listening to this band for about a year now, have bought their EP and had it shipped from the states, kept tabs on their progress as they tour America, and somehow missed the fact they are playing a short uk tour and going to Glasgow. Would love to see them, but £13 tickets are on resale sites for £100!  

Anyway, if you haven’t already, check them out, they bring that vintage rock vibe right back up to date with similar phrasing to Plant, JPJ and co. 

The bass guitar Kiszka brother uses simple effective gear with the bass frequencies cut a fair amount by the sound of things  

There is a gear review online with premier guitar which is pretty cool and lots of recent live YouTube action. Like this...

PS: anyone have a spare ticket for Glasgow on 1st April?

Edited by Thunderpaws
  • Like 2

:) I too have recently become aware of Greta Van Fleet. Yes, the singer's a bit Planty and the songs / arrangements are very Zep-esque. 

On the other hand, they're all about 22 years old and worryingly talented. Give them a year or two to further develop their sound and to write some more material, and they could be very big.

On a similar vein, I saw the Temperance Movement a couple of weeks ago and they all look like teenagers but sound like seasoned pros. There is a new wave of classic rock movement at the moment, and I include Greta Van Fleet in this, and for me music hasn't been this exciting for many years.

I've just 'discovered' these children too after recommended them by @Cuzzie and have been impressed by what I've heard so far.

17 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Give them a year or two to further develop their sound and to write some more material, and they could be very big.

Yes, very very Zepp indeed, but I'm watching this space with interest to see what they evolve into once they find their own feet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Voice is a bit irritating but could probably live with it. It would be interesting to see the demographic of who's buying the music and gig tickets. Is it old blokes looking for nostalgia (all the originals are too long in the tooth to be credible) or youngsters deciding the old stuff really was better and they'd rather hear a new band sounding like a 50 yr old band then something original?

7 minutes ago, KevB said:

Voice is a bit irritating but could probably live with it. It would be interesting to see the demographic of who's buying the music and gig tickets. Is it old blokes looking for nostalgia (all the originals are too long in the tooth to be credible) or youngsters deciding the old stuff really was better and they'd rather hear a new band sounding like a 50 yr old band then something original?

Just wiki Rival Sons discography and the stats and it seems this retro sound isn't really cutting it with the mainstream.  For hard/heavy rock in the US it's the likes of  Avenged Sevenfold and Five Finger Death Punch who are shifting units

I meant I wonder who is buying the tickets for the UK shows, they are all practically sold out (small theatres admittedly but they havent much material yet). Actually i think one of our guitarists is going to Bham show on Sat so I'll ask him what the age range of the punters was. Just curious.

Edited by KevB

7 minutes ago, KevB said:

I meant I wonder who is buying the tickets for the UK shows, they are all practically sold out (small theatres admittedly but they havent much material yet). Actually i think one of our guitarists is going to Bham show on Sat so I'll ask him what the age range of the punters was. Just curious.

Being young lads I wonder if they might attract the teenage girls who may not care for the music but like their looks?

14 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Being young lads I wonder if they might attract the teenage girls who may not care for the music but like their looks?

Thinking about this I realised that  - with at least three members aged 22 - they're possibly older than the Zeppelin were when the latter first formed in July 1968

Page was 24, Jones was 22, Bonham was 20 and Plant was just 19. Quite amazing, really.

Edited by skankdelvar

Managed to get a ticket via a fan on their Facebook page. I said I was after a ticket and he messaged me. Got it for face value too which was heart warming in today’s re-sale climate. 

No idea on fan base demographics but I don’t really care either. It’s refreshing that a young band playing vintage style rock is generating a strong following before they’ve even recorded a real album and they (management) are milking it for all it’s worth!! 

Apparebtly they will be back in Europe later on the year.