Why become a member? ×

Building a Precision Bass

BrunoBass

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/05/2018 at 12:04, Andyjr1515 said:

I absolutely love the look of this bass!  

Ref the jack socket, when you get a moment, swop it for a Switchcraft one (Axesrus, Allparts and many others). 

They are only a few £ and are fitted to most top flight makes.  If you've had to bend the contact, it will fail again at some stage.  I have never had, or even personally know of anyone who has had, a Switchcraft one that has done the same...

The problem persisted with the output jack cutting out, despite me thinking I’d remedied it by lifting the scratchplate slightly and adjusting the contact strip. So I decided to unscrew the whole scratchplate and have a good look inside to see what was going on. What had happened was that the shielding foil had lifted away from the cavity side right next to the jack socket. It the tip of the jack plug moved slightly it just touched the foil, cutting the signal. Some kind of circuit being made I guess? Anyway I tidied up the foil and Bob’s yer uncle, sorted! 

• Like 1