Why become a member? ×

Building a Precision Bass

BrunoBass

2 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

Cheers matey, I’m quite pleased with it. Got the bug now, thinking about the next build...

I would be pleased too it’s come out really good, What you got planned next?

Your right it is really addictive I’ve finished 2 but now Ive got my ‘72 style P Bass and the Tele shaped Bass which I’ve started then my Streamer blank is all glued up and I’m also I’m considering doing another 5 string of some sort but I think I’ll finish the others before I start that one.....:D

Edited by Jimothey

20 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I would be pleased too it’s come out really good, What you got planned next?

Your right it is really addictive I’ve finished 2 but now Ive got my ‘72 style P Bass and the Tele shaped Bass which I’ve started then my Streamer blank is all glued up and I’m also I’m considering doing another 5 string of some sort but I think I’ll finish the others before I start that one.....:D

Thanks. 

In the short term I fancy doing something along the lines of a 51 Precision, but longer term I’ve got a weird idea for a semi acoustic that I’ve been sketching up, and also something based on a Jaguar type body shape. I managed to get hold of a good Jag body plan drawing recently so something may come from that...

• 2 weeks later...

So, a couple of weeks of inactivity. Frustrating as I was dying to get it finished. Anyway, a buddy of mine said he had some pots lying around that I could have if I bought him a beer. I bought him beer (several actually) and then he went on holiday. He got back the other day and finally I have pots! 

I shielded the cavities with kitchen foil, stuck in with my little boys Pritt Stick glue (works a treat!) and wired everything up. I had some old D’addario 105s hanging around that I took off my Jazz Deluxe when I got it. They’re slightly heavier than I prefer but on this P Bass they sound and feel great.

2A8C49FC-BA1E-4C1E-ABA0-FAA0281510F0.jpeg

23E2640D-D004-4763-92B8-E4A78D9F83A3.jpeg

And finally, it lives!! (Minus some knobs, I need to order those...) 

I set it up well, and I now have a low action and good intonation. It’s very, very light and is obviously quite neck heavy. But the strap I’m using is really grippy so it’s not really a problem. The Wilkinson pickups are a revelation; for twenty quid they’re incredible - all the thud you’d expect and really punchy, but if you turn the mids up on the amp it gets honky, almost Jazz bridge pickup like. I’ll definitely use them again. Brilliant.

The only issue is that the output jack is intermittently cutting out, there must be something not connecting properly so it needs sorting before I gig it, but I’m going to give it a go at band rehearsal tonight and see how I get on with it. 

I’m really pleased with it. There are things I’d do differently next time, but that’s all part of learning isn’t it? I’ve leaned a lot, surprised myself and really enjoyed putting this bass together. I wonder what’s next? 

A15828B6-31A7-4185-902B-9378D400241B.jpeg

B97FFC68-7F8F-4F11-89B9-AB6DDC5F5209.jpeg

EF75FECC-3BFF-41BA-BEDA-85922619A7EB.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Great job.

I look forward to hearing how it goes after you've had band rehearsal.

It sounded great thanks, I played it for an hour and am really pleased. I fixed the output jack (just needed the contact bending in a bit). A pleasure to play such a light bass, my dodgy shoulder is very happy. My fingertips are sore though, not used to those 105s! The band liked it too, so once I’ve fine tuned the set up I’ll take it to a gig. 

Here it is tonight alongside my number one, and the studio’s house amp. 

35B86DD5-8E39-4A8C-A19A-C5E3C515DD8C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great job Bruno!
Really like that colour on a P bass. Suits the maple board really well too
Fab job. Well done :)

EDIT: The black scratchplate is the right one too

Edited by Marc S
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BrunoBass said:

It sounded great thanks, I played it for an hour and am really pleased. I fixed the output jack (just needed the contact bending in a bit). A pleasure to play such a light bass, my dodgy shoulder is very happy. My fingertips are sore though, not used to those 105s! The band liked it too, so once I’ve fine tuned the set up I’ll take it to a gig. 

Here it is tonight alongside my number one, and the studio’s house amp. 

35B86DD5-8E39-4A8C-A19A-C5E3C515DD8C.jpeg

I absolutely love the look of this bass!  

Ref the jack socket, when you get a moment, swop it for a Switchcraft one (Axesrus, Allparts and many others). 

They are only a few £ and are fitted to most top flight makes.  If you've had to bend the contact, it will fail again at some stage.  I have never had, or even personally know of anyone who has had, a Switchcraft one that has done the same...

Edited by Andyjr1515

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I absolutely love the look of this bass!  

Ref the jack socket, when you get a moment, swop it for a Switchcraft one (Axesrus, Allparts and many others). 

They are only a few £ and are fitted to most top flight makes.  If you've had to bend the contact, it will fail again at some stage.  I have never had, or even personally know of anyone who has had, a Switchcraft one that has done the same...

Thanks Andy, appreciate the tip too :D

If anyone’s interested, here’s the entire cost breakdown for building this bass: 

Body £38 

Neck £29

Bridge £15

Neck plate £7

Bridge screws £3

Tuners £15

Grain filler £7

White spirit £2

Sanding block £4

Primer £6

Clear coat £6

Decal £12

Drill bit £3

Wet and dry paper £6.50

Pickup £18

Scratchplate £12

Tug bar £3

String tree £2

Orange paint £12

Polish £1

Grounding wire £cut from over long pickup wires

Foil and glue £already had

Wiring / pots £beer

Knobs £donated 

Strings £already had

Strap buttons £already had 

TOTAL £201.50

Some of the items are 'one-off' buys like wet and dry paper, sanding block, white spirit etc which I wouldn't necessarily have to buy again for the next project. All the hardware was bought new apart from the donated bits so I think if I bought used from eBay etc I'd easily be able to build something for less than £200. My J&D and Harley Benton basses cost around half of that sum, and are arguably better basses, but that's not really the point is it? :D

47 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

If anyone’s interested, here’s the entire cost breakdown for building this bass: 

Body £38 

Neck £29

Bridge £15

Neck plate £7

Bridge screws £3

Tuners £15

Grain filler £7

White spirit £2

Sanding block £4

Primer £6

Clear coat £6

Decal £12

Drill bit £3

Wet and dry paper £6.50

Pickup £18

Scratchplate £12

Tug bar £3

String tree £2

Orange paint £12

Polish £1

Grounding wire £cut from over long pickup wires

Foil and glue £already had

Wiring / pots £beer

Knobs £donated 

Strings £already had

Strap buttons £already had 

TOTAL £201.50

Some of the items are 'one-off' buys like wet and dry paper, sanding block, white spirit etc which I wouldn't necessarily have to buy again for the next project. All the hardware was bought new apart from the donated bits so I think if I bought used from eBay etc I'd easily be able to build something for less than £200. My J&D and Harley Benton basses cost around half of that sum, and are arguably better basses, but that's not really the point is it? :D

That’s not bad at all is it a great looking, playable bass for just over £200 who needs the big brand labels!!:D

Can’t wait to see what the next build is gonna be!! 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

If anyone’s interested, I made a little video about the build... 

It’s always good to hear a bit of “Green Day!!! I thought you might break out into a bit of “Longview”

Them Wilkinson pickups sound good and that colour looks awesome especially when the light hits it!!!

Great job l!!:D

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

PS: Knobs

...and to finally finish off, some control knobs. I wanted something different to the usual Fender types knobs. These are Gibson style clear knobs and they look great!

Done.

548791DB-36BD-47D8-BDC0-7123BED47874.jpeg

598CFBB0-070E-457B-8EBE-53249CFC17D9.jpeg

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BrunoBass said:

PS: Knobs

...and to finally finish off, some control knobs. I wanted something different to the usual Fender types knobs. These are Gibson style clear knobs and they look great!

Done.

548791DB-36BD-47D8-BDC0-7123BED47874.jpeg

598CFBB0-070E-457B-8EBE-53249CFC17D9.jpeg

There a bit different....... but I like them!! :D

• Like 1