Why become a member? ×

Need a new preamp

Prime_BASS

As above really. Want a replacement pre-amp to go into this fender American deluxe bass I have. 

I'd like to keep it as it is really but not have to do any work so want a drop in sort of job. 

So it's volume, blend, stacked bass treble, mids and then the Jack is on the side. Also for it to run, 9 and 18 volts, and maybe a passive mode too of possible.

Ideally don't want to be soldering in any pots and just either clip in the pickups or solder the pickups in. Easy peasy.

A quick look through bass direct and most seem to require a lot of work to get on the bass.

Yup... John East.

If any of his products sounds about right but you would just like it a little different... just contact him and tell him what you're after. He's pretty accommodating, within reason. If you're just talking about a simple mod and nor a redesign of the preamp ;) he'll probably do it for you.

East make an excellent product, but I felt the J Retro I fitted to my J bass, whilst being super clean and having more of everything than the passive set-up, robbed the instrument of some of its essential character. In the end, I sold it and went back to passive. I'd certainly agree with others above who recommend trying different pickups first before changing the pre'.

Check out the first couple of minutes of this video and notice how dull the Deluxe and Elite sound compared to the Flea. I think a lot of this is down to the noiseless pickups as they will either be split humbuckers or carry a dummy coil, both of which can mute your high end, or so I believe!

Edited by dannybuoy

East is good choice, especially the SPM02 which to me is his best preamp, but out of stock for the moment. And don't forget the Aguilar OBP-3 which can bring life to the Noiseless pickups. Delano, Noll and Richter should be considered too, but you'll need a soldering iron just like for any Aguilar...

Forget the Pope Flexcore with these pickups as it's the most transparent preamp to date. Same for the Glockenklang.

Here is a J-Retro 01 at a good price as it's new :