Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass dilemma

Panos Bobolas

I'd say option 3 is the best - the Japanese Fender Jazz. IMHO they are better than Squier VM and Fender MIM Jazz basses, although those are not too far behind. It would be worth researching the cost of importing, since I am in the UK I can't help with the specific details but it should be possible to find out. Also, I dare say, there will be other MIJ Jazz basses on Reverb too. Its up to you, if you're happy to take the risk of buying a bass unseen (and unheard), then go Japanese. If you are unsure, then visit a large music shop, try the MIM (and pay a bit more) and a Squier (pay a bit less) and buy the bass you were able to try out. I think all three will keep their value long term, but obviously buying new you will take an instant hit on the depreciation.

I saw some guy had a 2015 US Jazz Bass on here for £750 - I know it’s a little beyond your budget but if you could stretch I’d go with something like that. If you decide to move it on anytime I can’t imagine you’d lose anything either.

Edited by thebassist