Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass dilemma

Panos Bobolas

Hi all,

My budget is limited to 600-700 euros (620 pounds) max. I need a JB for a 60s psych-rock project. I already purchased an amazing 50s Classic Pbass (your advices helped and I want to thank the BC community for that). But the sound of this monster is not so good for the delicate needs of the psychedelic project. I really loved a mexican road worn JB (rosewood) that I tested in a shop but it's very expensive.

So, here are my options:

1) Fernandes 80s (http://restauracja-gitar.pl/instrumenty/fernandes-jazz-bass-japan-1980s-candy-apple-red-2150zl-525eur-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-3-2-2-2-3-2-5-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-3-2-2-2-3-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2/)

2) Beautiful unknown from Italian luthier (https://reverb.com/item/10466236-luthier-made-jazz-bass-2000s-3-color-sunburst-relic)

3) Japan RI 62 from Japan - but I am afraid of the import fees! (https://reverb.com/item/10148055-fender-japan-jazz-bass-jb62-62-vintage-reissue-alder-usa-pickups-1999-2002-three-tone-sunburst)

Any thoughts or advise appreciated. Thanks,

Panos

At that budget I think I'd rather just go for a new Fender Mexican Standard or even a Squier VM70's (and save half your money) over a used bass of unknown provenance from the internet (different if you know the seller or get it used off here). The Mexican basses Fender are pushing out really are pretty good work-horse basses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lw. said:

At that budget I think I'd rather just go for a new Fender Mexican Standard or even a Squier VM70's (and save half your money) over a used bass of unknown provenance from the internet (different if you know the seller or get it used off here). The Mexican basses Fender are pushing out really are pretty good work-horse basses.

Good recommendation, the post 2012 MIMs are really good basses. Our very own Oopsdabassist lent me a MIM Standard Jazz for a while, it was very good, one of those that I really should have bought when I had the opportunity.

Panos, I recently had exactly the same dilemma. I play mostly Precisions in blues & rock bands, but recently joined a Grateful Dead tribute, and the Precision sounded too thick. I bought a new MiM Jazz bass and it is just right for the music.

Hi Panos,

Not sure what the import charges in Greece would be from Japan, but you might be right - they may be pricey, otherwise, I'd say a MIJ Jazz would be great

How much second-hand stock is within easy reach for you? Definitely look at the 2nd hand market to get more for your money
Alternatively, others have already mentioned the Squier Classic Vibe range. Most of these are now discontinued, I believe, but there are one or two still in shops near me
The Squier VM 70's is another good recommendation - quite fancy one of those myself
See, you've given me GAS now! ;)

Good luck with your search

3 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Hi Panos,

Not sure what the import charges in Greece would be from Japan, but you might be right - they may be pricey, otherwise, I'd say a MIJ Jazz would be great

How much second-hand stock is within easy reach for you? Definitely look at the 2nd hand market to get more for your money
Alternatively, others have already mentioned the Squier Classic Vibe range. Most of these are now discontinued, I believe, but there are one or two still in shops near me
The Squier VM 70's is another good recommendation - quite fancy one of those myself
See, you've given me GAS now! ;)

Good luck with your search

Unfortunately there are only 2-3 second-hand guitar shops in a town of 3 million people :( 

7 minutes ago, Panos Bobolas said:

Unfortunately there are only 2-3 second-hand guitar shops in a town of 3 million people :( 

That`s a shame, Athens is great, was there a few weeks back, played at Tres, great gig and a great audience, def should be more music shops there.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Panos Bobolas said:

So, no love fot this no-name beauty? Something tells me to trust this Italian luthier...

https://reverb.com/item/10466236-luthier-made-jazz-bass-2000s-3-color-sunburst-relic

Difficult to tell, without actually seeing it and playing it....
That's a "heavy relic job" - of course, if that's to your taste - fine
Is there any way you could find out the origin of some of the parts?
Might be a great bass... but mightn't be that good too

BTW. It does look good to me, but then I quite like (some) relic basses. The Fender Roadworn J and P basses being among my favourites.... along with every Limelight I've played :)

Let us know what you decide Panos - and see if you can get a reply as to who the Luthier was, and the origin of the parts. Best of luck :)

33 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Difficult to tell, without actually seeing it and playing it....
That's a "heavy relic job" - of course, if that's to your taste - fine
Is there any way you could find out the origin of some of the parts?
Might be a great bass... but mightn't be that good too

BTW. It does look good to me, but then I quite like (some) relic basses. The Fender Roadworn J and P basses being among my favourites.... along with every Limelight I've played :)

Let us know what you decide Panos - and see if you can get a reply as to who the Luthier was, and the origin of the parts. Best of luck :)

thanks

3 hours ago, Panos Bobolas said:

So, no love fot this no-name beauty? Something tells me to trust this Italian luthier...

https://reverb.com/item/10466236-luthier-made-jazz-bass-2000s-3-color-sunburst-relic

I guess I'm missing something blindingly obvious here, but it appears to be left-handed?

Difficult to say really - can't really tell much about build quality from the clip. I'd think it easier to find a buyer for a known quality instrument like a Fernandes or a Japanese fender when you come to sell.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pete.young said:

I guess I'm missing something blindingly obvious here, but it appears to be left-handed?

Difficult to say really - can't really tell much about build quality from the clip. I'd think it easier to find a buyer for a known quality instrument like a Fernandes or a Japanese fender when you come to sell.

It's a mirror view

• Like 1

Geddy Lee sig Jazzes are awesome for the money. You can usually pick up a used one for around £550 (sometimes less). There is little real difference between the CIJ/MIJ and the MIM versions (other than snobbery!). I have owned four of these, and all have been great basses.

1 hour ago, The59Sound said:

Fender's are horribly overpriced for what they are.

Not if you buy used. And I'd add Maruszczyk to the list too. My Elwood is excellent and I payed around £750 for it brand new (well, ex-exhibition so "nearly new").

https://public-peace.de/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/elwood/4-string

Edited by Conan
  • Like 1

I’d be very dubious of anything labelled as “luthier-made”, without giving the name of the luthier. Could just be a bloke in a bedroom buying cheap bits off eBay.

I always recommend the Squier Vintage Modified range, my VM Jazz is absolutely fantastic and you’ll have plenty of cash leftover for other bits like pedals and pizza!

If you're considering a Jazz, you're pretty much spoilt for choice - lots of good basses out there in your price range but it's only you who can really make the decision - you really need to try as many as you can before handing over your hard earned Euros.