Why become a member? ×

David Bowies 'Earthling'.

Horrorhiker

Was just listening to this album today and thought I'd put something on here as it's an integral part of my Bass playing influences. I can see it's been mentioned before, but you usually get a discussion about how it's divisive so I thought I'd put my two penneth in. 

When the album came out, I was a pure 'metaller'. If it wasn't 'eavy', I didn't like it. I was a teenager then, and had already been playing bass for a year or so in a rap-metal band (I know). I bought Earthling 'blind', having a fleeting admiration of Bowie, mainly due my older sister buying the Dancing in the Street single years earlier. (I know). 

The thing that struck me about the album right away was the bass playing of Gail Ann Dorsey. I appreciated the magnificent tone, and the concise, accurate yet still impressively written basslines, even though I didn't realise at the time this is what I was hearing, if you get me. 

The songs are amazing and yes, the album probably did sound dated for a while, but in my opinion, it has been long enough for the 90s drum and bass elements to now sound 'vintage' to younger ears and would be well worth a listen. It's easy to see why it's not everyone's cup of tea but It's the album that got me to listen to bass players, appreciate not over playing, and get the importance of a good balance between instruments/vocals, not to mention getting me to explore Bowie further, which obviously opened a pot of gold. 

Edited by Horrorhiker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said. It’s a great album, but don’t forget a lot of the material was co-written by Mark Plati who is also quite handy on the bass; both stringed and electronic. We currently do three songs from that album; Little Wonder, Dead Man Walking and I’m Afraid of Americans, but I’ve always wanted to do The Last Thing You Should Do. Outside is also a great album, but didn’t go down well at the time.

Brilliant, its great that you do those songs. I always fancy doing The Letter but have never been able to convince a band to do it. 

I dismissed Outside a bit when I heard it years ago I must admit. I shall definately revisit that asap.