Why become a member? ×

Musicianship vs Personality & Stage Appeal

Bluewine

I tried to engage the crowd at a gig once. (Many times but this particular time...) Had a super long lead, and the crowd was a bit far away so I wandered off stage to encourage them to move closer. They literally edged back the closer I got! So...yeah, sometimes I end up looking like a silly billy trying to have presence. Of course, trying so hard can make it obvious you lack something.

I remember going to see headliner Doyle Bramhall III at Shank Hall (small club/ bar). Great guitarist and song writer ,however he had absolutely no stage prencence or real connection with the crowd. It was all about his guitar playing. And as I said earlier these days that only gets you so far.

His opening act was a young husband and wife team and they had their stage appeal stuff together. Very entertaining.

Blue

• Like 1

It's often the case that a band will have a combination of those who stare at their fingers/shoes but who are great players and those who are at home engaging with an audience. That seems to be a good balance. I don't think you need any more than 2 who front up/chat or it can get a bit wearing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I do think, and I'm not sure why, you guys from the UK are more natural showman then we are  here in the States.

Blue

Dunno about that - to the best of my knowledge Steven Tyler wasn't born and raised in Bogner Regis...! 

As far as I'm concerned, I'm really just a song and dance man! You have to be able to be a capable enough musician to play what you need to, but you should also develop some stagecraft along the way. It doesn’t have to be all pyros and gold lame suits, but you definitely need to learn how to entertain your audience. 

There is nothing worse than seeing a band that can’t or won’t engage with the people watching them! 

• Like 1

No matter how talented the individuals, if they're a bunch of shoe-gazers my attention span is about 1 drink and I'm done.  I've always tried to entertain - my theory is that I'm not likely to bump into anyone in the street so be the entertainer, play a pub like it's Wembley, be a bit OTT, take the wireless mic into the room and make an impromptu 'B' stage at the far end (IEM's help!), run around, stand on seats/tables, they'll remember you.  Of course, if you have at least half-way chops to back it up then it's even better!

Edited by DaytonaRik

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

... and you're 'available' any week-end or weekday, for the next few years. Am I wrong..? xD

Only if you can afford my fee. I charge 1 packet of spicy Nik Naks and a bottle of antiseptic to wash it down with. If that's too expensive, any medical or cleaning product containing alcohol will suffice.

3 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

It's often the case that a band will have a combination of those who stare at their fingers/shoes but who are great players and those who are at home engaging with an audience. That seems to be a good balance. I don't think you need any more than 2 who front up/chat or it can get a bit wearing.

Agreed, and you really have to be comfortable doing it. The audience knows if your sincere or faking it.

Blue

3 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

No matter how talented the individuals, if they're a bunch of shoe-gazers my attention span is about 1 drink and I'm done.  I've always tried to entertain - my theory is that I'm not likely to bump into anyone in the street so be the entertainer, play a pub like it's Wembley, be a bit OTT, take the wireless mic into the room and make an impromptu 'B' stage at the far end (IEM's help!), run around, stand on seats/tables, they'll remember you.  Of course, if you have at least half-way chops to back it up then it's even better!

That can be entertaining, but, keep in mind walking out into a crowd , standing on tables is a skill. You really have to be good at it and know what your doing. If you don't the audience will sense it and cringe.

Blue

3 hours ago, peteb said:

Dunno about that - to the best of my knowledge Steven Tyler wasn't born and raised in Bogner Regis...! 

As far as I'm concerned, I'm really just a song and dance man! You have to be able to be a capable enough musician to play what you need to, but you should also develop some stagecraft along the way. It doesn’t have to be all pyros and gold lame suits, but you definitely need to learn how to entertain your audience. 

There is nothing worse than seeing a band that can’t or won’t engage with the people watching them! 

Hi Pete,

Playing Ariba's on 124th & Hampton for St. Patty's Day this Saturday night. Ariba's is sort of like our home. Great crowd and great sounding room. Low ceiling with carpeted floors.

I agree, yeah Steven is Yank and probably close to the top on my short list. But you guys have Freddie & Mick, those guys are the definitive frontmen.

Blue

2 hours ago, Horrorhiker said:

Not half. This is what Mumford and Sons would be like if they watched Sister Act all the time instead of The Waltons. 

I like them, keep in mind this performance I believe is designed specifically for TV and David's audience.David's audience in not a club audience, it's mostly extremely wealthy people that would never go see a bar or club band.

Blue

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Hi Pete,

Playing Ariba's on 124th & Hampton for St. Patty's Day this Saturday night. Ariba's is sort of like our home. Great crowd and great sounding room. Low ceiling with carpeted floors.

I agree, yeah Steven is Yank and probably close to the top on my short list. But you guys have Freddie & Mick, those guys are the definitive frontmen.

Blue

I'm wondering how you're all going to get away with performing Oh Danny Boy in Arriba Mexican Restaurant on St Patrick's night.

I'd watch out.  Just be sure those green enchiladas aren't just last year's masquerading as Irish.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Horrorhiker said:

Not half. This is what Mumford and Sons would be like if they watched Sister Act all the time instead of The Waltons. 

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I like them...

Which?  The Waltons or Mumford and Sons?

I like the Walton's version of Sex on Fire.

38 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Which?  The Waltons or Mumford and Sons?

I like the Walton's version of Sex on Fire.

I can't stand anything that's 'faux'. Artificial road wear, shabby chic, Mumford and Sons, Vintage Trouble and overtly vintage fashion (gaudy and expensive 50s dress shops 👎) all fall under the same category for me. No offence to anyone that likes any of those obviously. Each to their own and all that. 

27 minutes ago, Horrorhiker said:

I can't stand anything that's 'faux'. Artificial road wear, shabby chic, Mumford and Sons, Vintage Trouble and overtly vintage fashion (gaudy and expensive 50s dress shops 👎) all fall under the same category for me. No offence to anyone that likes any of those obviously. Each to their own and all that. 

You might be having a hard time because of that.

Very little in so-called civilised society is actually real.  We live our lives with a thin veneer of civility that barely conceals our embarrassing animal urges.  This is as true in the 21st century as it has always been.

BTW, you needn't search for the Waltons' cover of Sex on Fire, it hasn't been officially released yet.

Edited by SpondonBassed

52 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

You might be having a hard time because of that.

Very little in so-called civilised society is actually real.  We live our lives with a thin veneer of civility that barely conceals our embarrassing animal urges.  This is as true in the 21st century as it has always been.

BTW, you needn't search for the Waltons' cover of Sex on Fire, it hasn't been officially released yet.

Not really. I realise its all around but its when its done intentionally and in a contrived way that bothers me.