Why become a member? ×

Musicianship vs Personality & Stage Appeal

Bluewine

4 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'll drink to that.

Of course, achieving it consistently must be hard even for the pros.

Agreed, and as I understand it, pros have bad nights just like those of us breaking our backs playing clubs, bars and pubs.

Blue

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

How's this;

If the band sounds good and they're having fun and the punters are having fun and spending money on alcohol  it's a win for everyone.

Blue

yep. As I say to the venues when booking a gig, "we both want the same thing, lots of happy people having fun and drinking lots".

Coz, the more YOU drink, the better WE sound :)

• Haha 1

A lot of musicians forget that a gig is not just about music but also about visuals and the general feel. It's a show!

If the people on stage don't look like they're enjoying it then most likely the people in the crowd  won't be enjoying it. I also think each band member should wear one piece of clothing to show some effort has been made to look uniform/like a group. Too many bands forget this or say image isn't important compared to the music... erm it is. 

• Like 2

Not convinced on the uniform personally, possibly for some bands but most of the bands I love never had any sort of uniformity and I would have found it a bit strange if they did. As long as one isn’t in a suit and another in shorts and bare chested I think most things go. If you are a specific tribute band then I guess you need ‘the look’ but that is a different issue.

Well our on-stage image (and off, come to think of it) is jeans, Fred Perrys & DMs, pretty much all that`s needed for a street-punk/Oi band. I wouldn`t say that we look like musicians or a band as much as that we look like we`re part of the same group/gang, which is the point imo, a band should like look they belong together.

On 3/15/2018 at 02:02, SpondonBassed said:

I'm wondering how you're all going to get away with performing Oh Danny Boy in Arriba Mexican Restaurant on St Patrick's night.

I'd watch out.  Just be sure those green enchiladas aren't just last year's masquerading as Irish.

You really can't beat St Patrick's gigs.

Ariba's was packed for the whole 3 set 7:00- 11:00 show.

Nice merch sales ( cds & t shirts ) and tips.

I was happy with my playing, I've been working on being a lot more conscious of laying way back when the lead vocals and harmony are the feature.

Just a great night.

Blue

FB_IMG_1521396252379.jpg

On 18/03/2018 at 11:57, The59Sound said:

A lot of musicians forget that a gig is not just about music but also about visuals and the general feel. It's a show!

If the people on stage don't look like they're enjoying it then most likely the people in the crowd  won't be enjoying it. I also think each band member should wear one piece of clothing to show some effort has been made to look uniform/like a group. Too many bands forget this or say image isn't important compared to the music... erm it is. 

Too right, if a band looks like they've just arrived from the late shift in a factory then my attention is lost from the word go. If  a band looks like The Tubes or the P-Funk crowd you're gonna stay around and see what they sound like. Stands ta reason dunnit?

57 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Too right, if a band looks like they've just arrived from the late shift in a factory then my attention is lost from the word go. If  a band looks like The Tubes or the P-Funk crowd you're gonna stay around and see what they sound like. Stands ta reason dunnit?

And I'm quite the opposite. By default, I'm wary of any gimmicks or dressing up. I'll overlook the first impression if the show really does stand on its musical feet, but I prefer by far sobriety and good ol', plain, honesty in being 'what you are'. I can get involved in a theatrical event, such as a play, where belief is suspended on my part, and a concert of the sort would be an exception for me. No, by default, I'm not a fan of glitter, glamour or glossing-over. As was once said by more famous than I: 'Shut up and play your guitar. :|'

22 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I wouldn`t say that we look like musicians or a band as much as that we look like we`re part of the same group/gang

Yeah, we definitely look like we're part of the same group/gang. Especially when we play O'Neills in a city centre on a Saturday night.

Iron P.jpg

I play in two bands that demonstrate the dichotomy of personality (I'm reading showmanship/showboating) vs musicianship: Nipples of Venus (correct, that IS the best band name you've ever heard) is an instrumental band doing cheesy pop songs in a latin/salsa/afro-beat style. We all dress up and dance around, and always get a great reaction from audiences. However, because we're dancing around there are often mistakes from someone or other, but frankly it doesn't matter, we're not out there to show everyone how good we can play. On the other hand is Teek (indie pop/hip-hop/trip-hop): when we play we hardly move at all and we don't dress up, and we still get a great response from crowds. The music isn't technically much different, but there are definitely fewer mistakes.

The only common thread between these two bands is great songs, and I think that's what it really comes down to.

42 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

Yeah, we definitely look like we're part of the same group/gang. Especially when we play O'Neills in a city centre on a Saturday night.

Iron P.jpg

Wow, that looks like The Rich Rags from way back in the 90s

Pub cover band level i think its always been the same,there's a big bunch doing the rounds who are okay and get repeats but they have no wow factor or imagination regards stuff and look pretty dull.Anyone making a bit more effort,playing wise or lights or backdrop or material etc tend to stick out and get a bit of a reputation .Then there's the top tier who have it all and have a very healthy following for a reason.Most of us can watch a band and without being bitchy spot something they could do better very easily but they don't bother or are oblivious