Why become a member? ×

New Glam Rock covers band

dmccombe7

Once one gets past the spangly, hard core of Glam (Sweet, Slade, T.Rex, Suzi Quatro, Glitter etc) there's a handy pool of other acts which were around at the same time and which dipped into the make-up box.

There's Slik, Kenny, David Essex, Cockney Rebel, The Rubettes, Roxy Music, Mott, Be Bop Deluxe, even.

Edited by skankdelvar

Sounds great.  We do 20th C. Boy and Shang a Lang.  This last one despite its general cringeworthiness normally lights the place up.

We're going to try out Radar Love on the unsuspecting punters on Saturday.  Not really the same genre though.

On 13/03/2018 at 20:25, skankdelvar said:

:) Good luck with your enterprise and full marks for including Shang-a-Lang. A brave decision, IMO.

5aa8336a74ae7_baycityrollers.jpg.07956613c9c5c81434f7dd9eecf2c28e.jpg

The Bay City Rollers: Not remotely loathed by a generation of teenage males.

I've flagged this up for @Bluewine because I happen to know he is a fan.

23 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

The set list is larger but the ones i listed are the ones i had to learn for the first rehearsal.

Trex, Slade, Osmonds, Hello, Marmalade, Elton John, Suzi Quatro. 

All the usual classics. There are so many to choose from.

Plus i get to wear sparkly gear and platform shoes / boots. What's not to like xD

Don't forget a set of these to tuck down your lycra tights:

Clackers.png.8a93bedbd1aecbf07f744b02cc47086d.png

CLACKERS!

They're appropriate to the era so no-one can do you for it.  Mick Fleetwood even had a wooden set that he got out for an album cover once.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ead said:

No problem Dave.  Not sure if I'd necessarily describe many of our typical audience as young though :)  You should hear them singing the SAHB version of Delilah that we do.

That's because they remember Tom Jones doing it xD

7 hours ago, ead said:

No problem Dave.  Not sure if I'd necessarily describe many of our typical audience as young though :)  You should hear them singing the SAHB version of Delilah that we do.

We do the same version with the full waltz-time chorus! Gets everybody singing especially around the Potteries...

• Like 1

Have to admit i wouldn't generally class them as Glam but mot more rock possibly even verging on Prog. Think many think of them with Zal Cleminson costume and they did have a lot of fun songs.

For me Glam was short pop rock songs more well known for singles than albums.

Dave

Many bands will admit to being influenced by them. Everything from pop songs like Delilah and Boston Tea Party thru rock songs like Midnight Moses to the more Proggy Faith Healer or Vambo Rules and even throwing in a few blues based songs.

They literally combine several styles and made it successful.

They were def one of my fav bands.

Dave

4 hours ago, ead said:

I agree, SAHB are definitely a bit harder to classify.  I think they were the forerunners of bands like The Tubes in many ways.

despite both bands having been formed in the same year - 1972 ?

17 minutes ago, jacko said:

Goodness, were they really?  For some reason I didn't see The Tubes live until about '79.

1 hour ago, jacko said:

I didn't realise that either. I knew they were up and running long before they appeared in the UK around Later 70's. Can't remember which show i saw them doing White Punks on Dope but they impressed me enough to buy their first album.

I even included that song on my list of possible Glam Rock songs to cover.