Why become a member? ×

La Bella Flats & Gold White Nylons comparison with Chromes and Rounds

Sibob

Hey all,

So here's my quick and simple comparison of La Bella flats with Chromes on my Precision, and Lakland Rounds with Gold White Nylon Tapewounds on my 55-01:

https://soundcloud.com/simonpoulton/sets/la-bella-vs-daddario-lakland

Each track has a description of what is happening, test environment etc :)

My conclusions are that La Bella's are quieter, across their ranges, than strings I've previously used (my Gold Flats on my other Lakland are also quieter than the rounds they replaced too, but just means my amp does a little more work, easy enough, doesn't bother me).

New La Bella flats, sound like 3 year old Chromes, so more mellow out of the pack.
Gold White Nylons do an excellent impression of broken in rounds, whilst feeling very smooth and lasting a hell of a lot longer hopefully (due to being tapes).

All in all, am very happy with these early tests, think I've finally found a company that has a varied and interesting string roster, where I can get everything I need from one place!

Cheers
Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I'm a fan of the standard white nylons, but upon investigating a little it looks like coppers might be more my thing (a bit less bright, with stronger low mids, apparently)... I've just ordered a set of the copper ones. Let's see.

On 15/03/2018 at 01:38, mcnach said:

I'm a fan of the standard white nylons, but upon investigating a little it looks like coppers might be more my thing (a bit less bright, with stronger low mids, apparently)... I've just ordered a set of the copper ones. Let's see.

The Gold White Nylons are very bright for a tapewound (obviously still a little less-so than a round wound), so if I had them on a passive bass, I would tend to agree with you, I'd probably want the White Copper Nylons too. 
However because I have them on an active bass, I tend to just roll back the Treble anyway, so I'm happy at the moment!

On 14/03/2018 at 11:59, CameronJ said:

Presumably the tension in the Chromes is higher than the LaBella Flats?

You know what? There's really not a lot in it, I haven't had to do anything with the setup of my Precision, it's all sat the same. That said, the gauges are slightly different, I had 45-100 Chromes, whereas the La Bella's are 43-104, so could be to do with that!
Am enjoying them a lot so far. The reason for the change is that I put La Bella Gold Flats (not to be confused with the Gold White Nylons) on my Lakland 44-94, which gave me that bright Flats sound, so wanted something more mellow and 'classically' thumpy on my Precision.

I really really like Chromes for that brighter flats sound, but with the above setup, means I can get all my strings from the same manufacturer, which is just a lot easier in my head, a single order and all that. That said, the plan with having most basses with Flats or Nylons is that I have to change strings every 5 years at the very most haha.

Si

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

That said, the plan with having most basses with Flats or Nylons is that I have to change strings every 5 years at the very most haha.

I’m going down this route myself, as I’m one of those lazy bassists who simply cannot be arsed buying/changing strings regularly. Got the Black Tapes on my Sandberg P and am strongly considering putting flats on my MTD Super. We shall see. I’m holding off as it would mean not having a bass with rounds at all...but I may have to invest in a new bass to rectify that!

Edited by CameronJ

I’m liking them so much that i’m re-recording a song on the upcoming JoCee EP just to get them on. Much nicer than the rounds I had on the tune before!

Si

Edited by Sibob

Ive just ordered some fender flats based on that sound clip. Tried Labella and really like them so might go back if these dont do it for me. Did you have the 9050s through bridge or body? I have the option of both. Used the bridge with the labellas as thats recommended but dont want to lose my ferrules!

2 hours ago, thebuckets said:

Ive just ordered some fender flats based on that sound clip. Tried Labella and really like them so might go back if these dont do it for me. Did you have the 9050s through bridge or body? I have the option of both. Used the bridge with the labellas as thats recommended but dont want to lose my ferrules!

???

No mention of Fender Flats in this thread that I can see :)

Si

2 hours ago, thebuckets said:

Although not mentioned, 9050 are really good flats. :) But they need proper breaking in to do them justice. They're quite toppy at first but this gives way to more thump as time goes on. Worth waiting for. I'd advise top loading.

Now then, back on topic..? :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, discreet said:

Although not mentioned, 9050 are really good flats. :) But they need proper breaking in to do them justice. They're quite toppy at first but this gives way to more thump as time goes on. Worth waiting for. I'd advise top loading.

My understanding is that all flat/nylon wounds need to be too-loaded, unless soecifically designed otherwise. Otherwise the wrapping is likely to damage due to the bridge break-angle, and the string unravel?!

Si

27 minutes ago, discreet said:

sorry for the hijack. back to it guys...

40 minutes ago, Sibob said:

My understanding is that all flat/nylon wounds need to be too-loaded, unless soecifically designed otherwise. Otherwise the wrapping is likely to damage due to the bridge break-angle, and the string unravel?!

Si

Just FYI, I have used La Bella white, copper and black nylons through-body on my Franz fretless with no issues at all.

39986173885_52a441a0f6_b.jpg

Edited by walbassist

40 minutes ago, Sibob said:

My understanding is that all flat/nylon wounds need to be top-loaded, unless soecifically designed otherwise. Otherwise the wrapping is likely to damage due to the bridge break-angle, and the string unravel?

Some flats are better than others through-body. I have 9050s through body and they are very stressed at the bridge saddlles and back plate. I have ordered some La Bellas that have specifically been made for through-body stringing. If you have the option I'd always recommend top loading with flats.

BridgeStrings.jpg

Edited by discreet

42 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

This. Nylons will be fine, Flats I’d worry about.

Ah yes, just checked on the La Bella website and they echo this, or rather they only talk about Flats being an issue, they make Through-Body Flats for that reason.

Si

Edited by Sibob

• 3 years later...

I currently have 45-105 flats on my Jazz bass and am looking at tapes for something with a similar sound but more flexibility. 

Going between the gold and copper tapes in the 50-105 gauges. 

Did anyone have issues with installation at the bridge or nut? 

Thanks. 

45 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

I currently have 45-105 flats on my Jazz bass and am looking at tapes for something with a similar sound but more flexibility. 

Going between the gold and copper tapes in the 50-105 gauges. 

Did anyone have issues with installation at the bridge or nut? 

Thanks. 

I have the coppers on a Jazz and on a Precision. No problems with nut/bridge. Prior to that I was using 45-105 sets of roundwounds.