Why become a member? ×

Thomann display only bass on ebay

58 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

No, it means that it was found out to be not up to the standard, so sold cheap as a decoration.

28 minutes ago, alyctes said:

Some of them might not work?  I've heard varying reports; some are near perfect, others not so much.

Ah OK thanks.

On 17/03/2018 at 15:47, Nibody said:

Messaged the seller playing dumb asking about the "D" below the neckplate  - he claims they are "Discontinued Stock". 

See, if he's rectified any issues and given them a set up then it's fair enough to make an honest profit. 

His answer to your question is an outright lie though and is deceitful, which doesn't sit well with me. 

5 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

It’s cheeky. And he certainly shouldn’t lie when asked about the ‘D’.

Truth is, can’t see anything in his feedback from aggrieved punters who’ve bought these instruments.

Absolutely, it is deliberate deceit in fact.

I am one of those who left positive feedback - being at the time unaware of the existence of these models from Thomann. Had I been aware I would have returned the bass.

Just now, BreadBin said:

Absolutely, it is deliberate deceit in fact.

I am one of those who left positive feedback - being at the time unaware of the existence of these models from Thomann. Had I been aware I would have returned the bass.

What was wrong with the bass?

Every time you buy a deko instrument from Thomann you take a gamble on whether or not it is actually going to be usable. And while a lot of people have been very happy with their bargain purchases there have also been some instruments that really were for decoration only. 

If this eBay seller is taking the risk and effort out of buying a deko instrument then what is the problem? If there was something wrong with anything you bought from them then it could be returned for a refund under eBay's "not as described" policy, so there is not risk to anyone buying one of these other than a little wasted time. Since the seller is taking all the risk is it not right that they should also make some money at the same time?

I own two deko instruments. One has a design fault with the bridge that means it is less adjustable than it should be, but it does't render it unplayable, and in fact it's been used on a commercially released recording. Also there are plenty of guitars and basses out there with far worse design faults that are sold as perfect new instruments. The only thing wrong with the other deko is the fact that someone has stamped a "D" into the back!

To me the whole thing smacks of sour grapes on the part of the OP who seemingly can't be bothered to take the time and effort to grab themselves a bargain directly from Thomann, and want to have a bit of a moan on the internet about someone who is making the required effort and also making some money out of it.

Besides we don't know how many of those instruments being sold as dekos are actually only suitable for decoration. It might be that the eBay sellers prices reflect the extra time and money they have to put into making some of the instruments playable and covering their losses on buying instruments that simply aren't worth fixing.

• Like 1

My 'sour grapes' as you describe them are to do with the fact that I was sold a bass described as new with no reference to the true facts as to it's origin. I feel deliberately misled and am trying to help others from the same fate.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

If this eBay seller is taking the risk and effort out of buying a deko instrument then what is the problem? If there was something wrong with anything you bought from them then it could be returned for a refund under eBay's "not as described" policy, so there is not risk to anyone buying one of these other than a little wasted time. Since the seller is taking all the risk is it not right that they should also make some money at the same time?

Based on that we should just rip up the Trade descriptions act..

If you buy a bass from Thomann direct that is a Deko you are rolling the dice that is is useable. You are buying it with a disclaimer that it is sold "For decorative purpose only". If it happens to have a very minor fault and you have the knack to fix it then you are lucky and got a cheap instrument cheaper.

HOWEVER.

If you buy a bass on Ebay that is being sold as new, that the seller has bought fully aware that it is a Deko model, and the seller lies through their teeth about it (You have to search for Deko, and it clearly states in big letters small words that they are for decoration only) then they are behaving fraudlently. You are buying what you expect to be a new bass 100% fit for purpose. Simple as that.

17 minutes ago, Nibody said:

HOWEVER.

If you buy a bass on Ebay that is being sold as new, that the seller has bought fully aware that it is a Deko model, and the seller lies through their teeth about it (You have to search for Deko, and it clearly states in big letters small words that they are for decoration only) then they are behaving fraudlently. You are buying what you expect to be a new bass 100% fit for purpose. Simple as that.

Are they being sold as "new"?

AFAIAA the only place that you can buy a new Harley Benton Instrument from is Thomas as it is their in-house brand. Therefore I would assume that any HB instruments on eBay are not new and should not be described as such. 

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

AFAIAA the only place that you can buy a new Harley Benton Instrument from is Thomas as it is their in-house brand. Therefore I would assume that any HB instruments on eBay are not new and should not be described as such. 

New other (see details): A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing its original packaging, or the original packaging has been opened or is no longer sealed. The item may be a factory second, or a new and unused item with minor defects. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections

I guess the issue is the lie by saying it is 'discontinued' rather than pointing out the 'D'  imperfections and saying it is stamped with a D as it was a 'deco'?

Edited by yorks5stringer

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Which he is trying to get around by describing them as unbranded and carefully avoiding photos of the headstock.