Why become a member? ×

DHGate/AliBaba - Anyone bought anything?

NancyJohnson

I while away the odd half hour trawling You Tube for AliBaba/DHGate unboxing videos...I'm wondering, has anyone here taken a punt and ordered anything?  I do seem to remember someone posting that they were considering a custom build order, but can't remember what.

A friend of mine ordered a Chickenbacker a long while ago.  It played OK (after some tweaking) and from a distance it didn't look to shabby, but close up, well, you knew instantly is wasn't the real thing.

A friend of mine ordered a Fodera single cut knock-off and it appeared to be a heap of steaming turd. I think he was a little more optimistic about it at the time (probably because he paid for it), but after a whole bunch of work, I think he scrapped or sold it.

Si

I bought what was supposed to be a Gibson Custom Shop 57 reissue. I had a thought about selling them online and thought I should get one myself to be satisfied about what I was supplying.

I paid into an escrow account (so that I could authorise payment if I was happy) and waited. The guitar arrived, cased in polystyrene. It was finished in a sparkle gold top finish and was clearly not what I thought. That said, it was a decent guitar with good punchy sound to it. 

I didn't ever authorise the payment and so it is probably still sitting there. I kept the guitar (it wasn't too bad as a Les Paul copy) but wouldn't bother again. Just glad I took the approach of buying first.

I bought what was supposedly an Alembic copy - you would have to have worked hard to have built it worse.

Really cheap and nasty parts and the BQ was abysmal. Wouldn't have even been any good as fire wood.

Stear clear is my advice.

Edited by TheGreek