Why become a member? ×

Second bass for a relative beginner?

Boomer

Hi All.

I'm looking for a little advice. I am reasonably new to the bass, although have always noodled a bit. I have a G&L M2000 GTS tribute with an L2000 neck, and am lucky enough to have a music room separate to the house. My question is - I am looking for a second bass to keep in the house to quickly pick and practise on for a few minutes when the urge takes me with a Fender Rumble 15. Will use the G&L for longer sessions, plus I love the tone. Not really certain whether the L2000 neck is a P or a J profile - does it matter when practising scales and the like? Budget is around £200-£250 max. Squier Affinity Jazz? Any thoughts or advise appreciated.

Having recently picked up a Squier Affinity Precision from our very own Grangur, I`ve been pretty amazed at the quality and playability for a so-called budget instrument. Am changing the electrics to a Ki0gon loom, as the pots in there are 500s and too fizzy for me, but other than that, def worth checking out the Affinity range, especially if not intended to be the main instrument.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Thanks Lozz196. I presume the Squier Precision would have a similar neck to the L2000 neck on mine? I believe L2000 necks are quite chunky.

Necks can vary quite a lot - there are even noticeable differences between similar models
I used to think there were P necks and J necks, and whilst it's generally true that J necks are slimmer, there are variations
I've played several P necks that are quite slim, and J necks that were relatively chunky (and one or 2 that seemed really slim)

Squier Vintage modified series (VM) P bass necks are fairly slim, compared to some of the older Fender necks, and VM's are pretty damn good
I'd say, look for a 2nd hand VM on here - they're a lot of bass for the sort of money they go for
Yes, the newer Affinity series are pretty good - but less money or similar money will buy you a used VM Squier, and I'd say that was better value
Of course, you should always try before buying, and buy what you prefer anyway.....

As you already have a bass - don't be in too much of a rush to get your backup / 2nd bass
If you're going to keep it alongside your sofa, or in a corner of your living room - you could also think about getting a smaller, "handy" sort of size bass
Maybe something short scale, like the Squier SS (Short Scale version) Jaguar - unless of course, you don't want to be swapping different scale lengths, while you're learning
Personally, I quite like the idea of changing scale lengths, as it's good to be able to switch & swap easily..... again, up to you though - try one & see what you think

Good luck with your search - I always think this is an exciting stage, when you're looking for another instrument, and don't quite know what it will be :)
Let us know how you get on, but definitely keep an eye on the BC marketplace - you'll get more for your money, and most BC members are the good sort, who won't rip you off

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 2

Not all Squier Affinity basses pass muster. A friend brought me his because the neck was bowed. However much you adjusted the truss rod it just stayed bowed. Concluded the truss had broken. There are a lot of budget basses out there, look at Spector Performer series, or lower priced Ibanez, you may do better than a Precision.

Edited by Grahambythesea
Error
  • Like 4

Squier Affinity basses have a bit of a mixed reputation, I think they've had good production runs and less good production runs over the years. The next line up, the VM series, seem to be universally well regarded and can be had for a couple of hundred quid, give or take, on the used market.

If you want something cheap and reliable then, apart from some complaints about weight, I don't think I've ever heard a bad word said about Thomann's Harley Benton range. Certainly my brother in law's HB jazz is a very decent instrument for about £100 new.

• Like 2

Thanks Cato. Not really worried about weight - my G&L is mahogany and is pretty hefty! Seen positive remarks elsewhere about Harley Benton as well. Marc S commented about the VM Squiers - they're also something I have heard very positive remarks about.

Not sure what your budget is but the Musicman SUB series are great basses for the money. You can pick one up on eBay for under £200.

You might also want to consider the much loved Bass Collection Nanyos - prices are on the up but you can still find them for about the same as the SUBs.

• Like 1

Agree with a lot of the recommendations - Graham's on the Spectors, T-Bay's on the Ibanez and I'm sure somebody would say the Yamahas (Thanks Paul S for the post while I was drafting this).

Personally I'd avoid an acoustic unless the plan is never to plug it in.

• Like 1

Thanks Jezzaboy. As a newbie, is it good to have two basses with different size necks? My hands are on the big side of average, and I do like the roomy G&L neck. Or is it a good thing to practise on different necks? Soz for the rookie questions.

11 hours ago, Boomer said:

Thanks Jezzaboy. As a newbie, is it good to have two basses with different size necks? My hands are on the big side of average, and I do like the roomy G&L neck. Or is it a good thing to practise on different necks? Soz for the rookie questions.

As Breadbin says - there's no right or wrong....
But as I was hinting at in my earlier post - it might be a good idea to have 2 basses that differ - even a bit, in terms of dimensions and feel, and a good idea to have 2 basses which can produce different sounds / tones
That Squier VM could be a good buy. Like Jezzaboy, I really like the look of the 70's one with blocks & binding too

As I said earlier - give several basses a whirl, and if you instantly "bond" with one - go for it
Buying 2nd hand you shouldn't lose much money either - obviously, inspect and check it as best you can before parting with your cash
Or buy from a known BC'er - Squier VM's often come up on here (think there's one in the marketplace atm)

• Like 1

On 12/03/2018 at 17:33, Boomer said:

Thanks Cato. Not really worried about weight - my G&L is mahogany and is pretty hefty! Seen positive remarks elsewhere about Harley Benton as well. Marc S commented about the VM Squiers - they're also something I have heard very positive remarks about.

as did I

• Like 1